• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

do i need a HAMP filter for my EP3?

Mate, it's just an oil filter - and changes like any other; whether it's Mugen, Hamp or the OEM it just screws on and off - and should be firmly tightened by hand only.

- Drain the sump
- twist off old filter
- lubricate threads and rubber o-ring on new filter with new oil, then screw it on.
- replace sump plug
- fill approx. 4 litres of new oil then use the dip-stick as a guide to ensure correct oil level.

Once topped up; replace oil cap, check for leaks, wipe down rocker. Job done.

If you're unsure as to what you're doing, have someone in the know perform the oil change with you - otherwise get a mechanic to do it.. It's a £20 job... If that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive not done one before but it seems pretty straight forward and i will have to learn how to do it one day. no time like the present i guess. I bought the car a few weeks back and forgot to ask when he last did a full oil change. its topped up but oil appears abit dirty plus hes been using mobil 1 0w-40 and ive heard that i want to be using silkolene pro s. Thanks very much for the help and advice

Yeah... It's pretty simple.

In fact, someones done a very nice guide in the 'how-to' section. Very nice for basic servicing. I think the thread was started by Christurbo??? Check it out.

You'll be fine if you don't mind getting your hands dirty :)

shouldnt be a problem, just need to find a big container to put under the sump first so i dont wreck the driveway. I still have some of the mobil 1 left so dont know whether to use it it or not. I know oilman has a special offer on at the moment £87.77 for 10l of the silkolene pro, still alot of money though and the mrs doesnt understand that decent oil costs alot. Do you know if i can mix the mobil with the silkolene? and is the mobil still a good oil to use for the ep3?

Yes you can mix oil... Would I? Probably not for anything more than a small top-up..

If you're changing the oil, you might aswell put the same stuff in at one time, and save the mobil for top ups.

I trust the mobil 1's fully synthetic?

yeah its fully synthetic but apparantly its too thin. I havent got a clue about oil, im just going off what people say on the forums. Think i will just buy 5 litres of the silkolene pro s for now, if its about 4 litres to fill the car then ive got a litre left for top ups for a while, and of course got the mobil 1 for emergencys.

What's the Mobil? 0w-40?

Yeah slightly on the thin side - but it wont harm for a top-up IMO, especially if you're running majority Silkolene.

It's actually, closer to 5-litres to fill the K20.

Save the mobil for top-up.

I'd rather use the mobil for a top up, rather than nothing at all...

yeah mobil 0w-40. Thanks for the advice mate, going to get some ordered either today or tomorrow, dislocated my knee on saturday though so wont be driving for a while, will feel better once its had a full oil change though. Going to order one of these HAMP filters too in a min off ebay.

forgive me for being naive, but will the sump plug need replacing after an oil change then. You will have to explain it to me mate, im a dumb ass when it comes to mechanical things.

The sump plug doesn't need replaced but the washer will. You'll get one for pennies at a motor factors /halfords

No man...

There are aftermarket alternatives - but no, you simply replace the washer and re fit the existing sump-plug.

a K20 needs 4.7L of oil for a change and if you are changing the oil filter at the same time you will be not far off a full 5L.

cheers mate, think im going to buy a 5l silkolene pro s from oilman as its on offer at the moment. Ive been using mobil 1 0w-40 but heard its not the best so im going to switch, will change the filter whilst im at it to. apparantly these vtec engines go through oil as some rate if your constantly thrashing it everywhere.

the K20 has been known to go threw lots oil. i believe the handbook says to be expected to use 1L every 600 miles!

i have used silkolene pro s for 3 1/2 years and i hardly ever have to top it up in between changes.

This Silkolene has been pushed a lot by Oilman. I reckon it's because there is more margin on it than other brands :lol:

Castrol Edge for me.

Back