• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do I need a power cap

I have had a sound system in all my cars that i have had. But when I got my civic i updated it and made it bigger.

I have an Alpine 4 chanle amp with a twin sub box with 2 12" infinty subs.

I have been having a problem with power etc with them. If i leave my car turned on but not running my batter runs flat in about ten min. So i changed my battery and it still does this.

Was talking to a friend and they said that I should run a "Power cap" with my amp and subs..

Does anyone else do this and if so any advice on what ones and where to get them from.

Thanks in advance.

mr_sport

To me, that sounds like a simple case of small battery + sizeable power drain. A capacitor is designed to help deal with peaks in demand, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

That said, something isn't quite right - I've got 2 fairly hefty Audison amps, the FD2 has a tiny battery but it's still fine after an hour.

have you thought about a switch for the amp?
i got one for when i installed my amp just incase it ran the battery flat when sitting with the engine off.
although i don't need to use it as i can sit with my system running for over an hour on half volume with no problems starting the car.
it might be worth putting in a switch to see if it helps with the battery when the engine is off

Thanks mate. I am in work just now so i cant look at the on ebay but i will when i get home.

What one is the remote cable again. Is that the thin wire that you splice into the head unit.

Thanks again mate

mr_sport

the remote wire is the single wire going from the amp to the headunit. it should be spliced to the auto antenna/remote wire. its usually the blue wire from the headunit harness.

Great. ONce i get home and i am out of work i will look at the switch and might do that this week at some point.

Any other tips when i am doing this.

mr_sport

make sure the ignition and headunit are off when connecting it all up.
i used a pair of scissors to carve out the hole for the switch thats about it.

Back