• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do you HAVE to insure a SORN'd car?

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this is a daft question. I was chatting to a friend and he said his track car (which is currently SORN'd) costs him £60 a month to insure.

I asked him why the hell has he insured it if its SORN'd - he said all cars, either on the road or SORN'd must be insured...

Do they????

If his car is off the road, surely there is no obligation to insure it?

(Obviously he can choose to insure it against fire damage or theft but surely that's not compulsory?)

I didnt think you had have a car insured if it was SORN.

Could be wrong as the law keeps changing.

No as long as its not parked on a public highway (eg parked on private property) it doesn't need to be insured. Although if it's then stolen you won't get anything as obviously it's not insured.

I thought it needed to be insured but TPFT?

E.g, if it caught fire and the petrol tank exploded which injured someone. Wouldn't you need the insurance then?

I always thought you needed insurance if SORN. Maybe something to do with road tax? Not sure though.

I'm sorn the lupo next week. It's mot tie again and it needs a few bits and bobs, but the finances have taken a hit and I need the next pay check before getting it done properly.

Vehicles on SORN do not need to be insured. They do however have to be off the road.

Statutory Off Road Notification.

nope.

if car is sorn it doesn't need insurance like christopher walkden says. it must be parked off the road not public place. sorn expires every 12 months and needs renewing (free).

if a car is not sorn then it must be insured and taxed, even if it is not on the road. this continuous insurance law was brought in last june, but it doesn't appear to be being enforced aggresively. eg you are selling a car but you have bought a new one already so you cancel the insurance on the old car which is also taxed but you keep it parked on the drive. technically you're breaking the law but i know people who have had their cars uninsured when selling for a few months never got any shitty letters from DVLA.

Last edited by a moderator:
As rossy says.

I have a bike that I sorn every year because it's in cardboard boxes which has no insurance.

the nope was in reference to OP's original question "do i have to insure a sorn'd car" after i wrote nope, i went back and edited the post to corroberate what you had said and to add anecdote about them not really being too bothered about it.

apologies for the confusion.

i only said what shanaei had said, but then walkden had said and i had said it after editing what i originally had said. so in essence it needn't have been said at all.

I heard not so long ago that you now have to insure a vehicle if it's on SORN I'm sure it was on the news but it may be that our wonderful money grabbing government were thinking about changing it or it way be coming into effect at a later date.
I'd contact the DVLA you'll know where you are then.

b78cc71f_z3450_mind-blown.jpeg

Back