• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ek9 conversion??

Okay guys,

A very serious question now. I have seen a CTR ek9 engine for sale for about £2K with only 23K done on it.

My question is, can I convert my original 1.4i civic engine with this one and thereas making my little 1.4i civic into a mean 1.6 ek9 civic? What are the pros and cons of doing this..

One BIG pro is that insurance will stay the same.. or will I have to tell them??
Also, what else will I need to upgrade on my civic in order for it to be a proper ek9? the suspension, brakes, what else??

Thanks dudes...

saboteur said:
One BIG pro is that insurance will stay the same.. or will I have to tell them??
OF COURSE you have to tell them. :cuckoo:
The B16 engine looks a wee different to your 1.4. lol
Also, what else will I need to upgrade on my civic in order for it to be a proper ek9? the suspension, brakes, what else??
Proper EK9?
Lots and lots of stuff ie thinner glass, Recaro seats, momo steering wheel, stiffening the chassis, removing sound deadening, etc.... There is a lot more to it than just some suspension and brake mods.

A lot of people are happy with B18C4 (1.8 VTi) conversion and works out much cheaper.

You must tell your insurance by law!

If you cause an accident and kill or injure someone with a modified car, and you are not insured (i.e. if you have not stated the mod to insurance company), the third party (or his/her family) will be after your ass for hospital fees, compensation etc. :(

I think you will find it is cheaper to buy a type r and insure it than to do a engine replacement.

Get some no claims bonus and save for a couple of years, then get what ever car you want. 8)

Yeah but even if I do have an accident... my mechanic won't report to the insurance company that i have a different engine in there...

Can you get away with it by simply not telling them?

saboteur said:
Yeah but even if I do have an accident... my mechanic won't report to the insurance company that i have a different engine in there...

Can you get away with it by simply not telling them?

No you can't get away with it! :roll: :?

my mechanic won't report to the insurance company that i have a different engine in there...

Whats you machanic got to do with it??? What do you think will happen if you make a claim and the insurance company send one of their engineers out to look at it??? :roll: :roll:

Okay how would I make my car sporty without it being a complete ek9. Like what is the bear necessities?

P.S. appologies for putting this post in 2 cats, I didnt know which one it was supposed to be in...

saboteur said:
MAN!! I got all excited aswell!! :(
Seems best to avoid all this engine drop stuff now...

Going from a 1.4 to a B16A engine EK4 will feel fast enough mate. It's then easier to work on the B16 already with EK9 pistons & head and you'll ramp up the power nicely.

As for insurance, your mechanic has nowt to do with it, the insurance company would send out an independant engineer to view the car and he would know you have swapped an engine resulting in your insurance being well and truly void.

Whenever I've had accidents, they've never sent out an engineer though!! Do you mean for when the car is a complete write-off?

saboteur said:
Whenever I've had accidents, they've never sent out an engineer though!! Do you mean for when the car is a complete write-off?

How many accidents have you had!

Depending on the damage to the car they can send out an engineer.

saboteur said:

When my car was hit while parked and needed a new rear quarter they sent an engineer out. :wink:

what about if i stick a big turbo in the car..

theres this company who i've emailed and they can sell several kits to me, with some bhp going upto 450bhp (they claim)...

saboteur said:

theres this company who i've emailed and they can sell several kits to me, with some bhp going upto 450bhp (they claim)...

You really need to look into this stuff in more details mate! You cant just wack a big turbo on an engine due to the compression ratios of the car. You will get away with a small one but big turbos need low compression and strong internals.

- Kevin.

Even if you turbo it you'll have to tell insurance. And i imagine it'd be cheaper to insure a VTI than a turbo'd 1.4

(First one to make any comment about me turboing my car dies :p learnt my lesson now)

saboteur said:

Just buy a Vti ffs, no EK9 conversion, or turbo just get a good Vti and sort it properly as by the look from your previous posts you'll stick a tonne of ICE in the boot and probably crash it (assumed by your "whenever i've had a crash" comment!)

lol, dare i say anything.

listen to the advice of the people who have told you what to do, it iss good and it is the honest truth.

Good luck in buying a new car, not just an engine.

HASNIC said:
saboteur said:

Just buy a Vti ffs, no EK9 conversion, or turbo just get a good Vti and sort it properly as by the look from your previous posts you'll stick a tonne of ICE in the boot and probably crash it (assumed by your "whenever i've had a crash" comment!)

If I crash a car, it doesnt mean its my fault? I think that comment was rather rude.. anyway doesn't matter... sorry for asking...

saboteur said:
HASNIC said:
saboteur said:

If I crash a car, it doesnt mean its my fault? I think that comment was rather rude.. anyway doesn't matter... sorry for asking...

It's an assumption! Don't take it to heart.

- Kevin.

Back