• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 no power, sounds like a tractor, misfire on all cylinders help

Bazzagt4

Hi folks,

Driving to work this morning and the engine just gave out after a spirited bit of driving and dropping down a gear or two, car was reving high and then suddenly I had this horrible sound like a old tractor and lights on the dash.
All coil pack have been checked and plugs although a bit black seem ok and the fuel is flowing through the injectors ok, trying to restart the car causes backfire and black smoke out of the exhaust, the fault codes flagged up misfire on all cylinders, car has now been recovered to a garage pending investigation, does this sound like an engine fail or is it maybe just that I have somehow stretched the chain through hard driving, I sort of hope it’s the latter.

Thanks for reading
Baz

Does sound like engine timing is out. Back fire from either exhaust or inlet side can happen when the valves aren’t opening/closing at the correct time. Along with your ‘tractor’ like noise it’s probably the chain rattling. Hopefully it’s just a chain kit and no further internal damage has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly you're a little too far away for me to offer the the use my OBD II reader as that would be the easiest/cheapest way to work out the issue.

It could be that the timing chain is stretched and has skipped multiple links and therefore timing is way out, but without the code it's hard to say for sure.

If you have an android phone and it's safe at home it's cheap/easy for you to buy a crappy one for this one off (or a decent one for other uses later on): https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters - if you have an apple phone then you're on your own, sorry.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your offer of help, the AA man who recovered me carried out a check of the codes and the ecu was carrying misfire on cylinders 1,3 & 4 , these were cleared but as we couldn’t restart the car we couldn’t be sure they had gone but to be honest the backfiring when trying to start would indicate some serious problems somewhere in the timing of the engine.

Regards
Baz

Definitely sounds like timing issue / chain has skipped unfortunately. Hopefully it won’t have done too much damage, what is the current mileage of your car?

20171105_152327.jpg

Engine is beyond repair so that’s the end of that, anyone want a superb Prem with blown engine.

Gutted Baz

Gutted to hear this Baz, but as Mike says, all hope isn’t lost. There’s always options to get the car back up and running and I’m sure we’d all club together to give you a hand finding the bits you’d need.
This could be the perfect opportunity to go wild and do a fully built motor putting down some serious power ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a motor in a shell on my drive, come and take what you need. (The whole shell removed would be helpful.)

K24 frank and resign yourself to it being a keeper. If the car itself is in good enough nick, then no reason not to. It's a kick in the balls I'll give you that, but you'll lose money selling it as it, you'll lose money getting it back on the road.

K24 frank and resign yourself to it being a keeper. If the car itself is in good enough nick, then no reason not to. It's a kick in the balls I'll give you that, but you'll lose money selling it as it, you'll lose money getting it back on the road.
Any EP3 ads which say it's had a new engine = loss as well I would think.

Might as well keep it and do any of the above options suggested. Even if you just put an engine in to get it back on the road.

Sorry I haven’t been replying folks but the whole thing has done my head, I’m not a rich man and I’m not able to install a complete engine on my gravel drive in winter, the whole timing of this has also caused problems as I have my son going to Uni this year and Netty’s car is also on its last legs, I have been offered a little car so have bought that to get about in and the TypeR has been sold as a non runner to a guy with a rear ended 23,000 mile car so he will drop his low mileage engine in my old Prem.

The compression checks and bore scope showed that Piston 3 had broken up so engine was dead beyond repair, I don’t think I did too bad selling a broken car so all in all was a bad week, let’s hope this one proves to be a little better.

Thanks again for all your kind words and offers of help but circumstances meant I was buggered in most directions I tried to go with this.

Regards
Baz

Back