• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Problems, VTEC Juddering And Bogging Down, Broken CD and Wheel Vibrations :(

Hello everyone

Having a few problems with my EP3 2002 Type R any help would be massively appriciated!

Mods are

Induction Kit - AEM Short Ram
NNK Clutch
Stainless Back Box
K-Sport Coilovers (Camber Adjustable)

Firstly And Most Importantly! - VTEC is engaging at 5800 as it should but sometimes it steaming up to redline but other times it feels like its bogging down and its holding back almost! Had a search about on the forum found a few topics and suggestions so ive checked the oil and she is full, took battery off for half an hour and also i have made sure it warm before using it. No ECU or warning Lights or Faults flagging up Anyone shine any light on the issue please?

The car is suffering from vibrations after 60+ MPH which gets fairly violent the faster you go. i wouldnt say its just through the steering wheel it makes the whole car shake!

Finally the CD Player has stopped working, shows nothing on the screen but the little red light is flashing. Tried holding 1 and 6 to enter the code but this hasnt helped, and disconnected the battery.

Any info on any of the above will be greatly appriciated, and if theres anymore details needed please just ask

Thanks Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
The vibrations are probably being caused by a buckled/unbalanced wheel. Have you driven over any massive potholes recently?

Welcome along by the way :D

Shall be getting wheels balanced, checked and tracking done. Just wondered if there was anything else it could be!

Cheers, Shall be getting a Newbie topic going soon :)

Haven't checked them mate but if this could be a cause of the problem ill get straight on the case!

Guessing they should be fairly clean and not black?

Seems to be in higher gears (3rd/4th) I believe

Yeah, I think they can also go white/grey if they are really bad.

Also, has the car been run really low on fuel?

Right mate ill have a look at them ASAP!

Havent had the car long but was on the reserve tank when i got it! Why? Could this have cause an issue?

Cheers Again!

9852d1100019475-spark-plug-color-chart-spkplg_colorchart1.jpg

Right mate ill have a look at them ASAP!

Havent had the car long but was on the reserve tank when i got it! Why? Could this have cause an issue?

Cheers Again!
Well if the fuel is low enough then the dregs that get collected at the bottom of the tank can be sucked up into the lines and they collect in the fuel filter, which obviously isn't very good. It's located just above the fuel tank and I don't think it's a hard/expensive job to replace, but don't quote me on that! :lol:

Cheers Neil, I knew that white is bad, just means they've been used in normal operation and need changing I guess.

Ill have a look at them, Might just replace them for piece of mind to be honest!

If not ill get it booked in for a fuel filter and a quick overhaul to see if a mechanic can spot anything.

Would the valve clearences have anything to do with this???? As i no there every 25k and im now on 80k so could be over due ill have to check the history.

If the valve clearances are out by a fair bit then the engine will sound really tappity on tick over, but it could cause the symptoms you describe.

Best bet is a full service including plugs and clearances and go from there. Every time I buy a car I have a full service carried out for peace of mind.

Right! This is what I like to hear, was fearing for the worst when it started happening! I'll get on the blower to the mechanic I use n see what the damage will be for a full service with clearance, filters and plugs ! Oh and get tracking+balancing done also

Hopefully will sort stuff out otherwise I've got big problems!

Cheers for the advice lads! If anyone else has any other ideas do still pipe up as it may help!

Hi mate i know this might sound stupid but what fuel are you running the car on? When i first got mine i was running it on normal unleaded untill someone told me to run it on super unleaded. Since then i put nothing but shell v -power super in mine and i have to say it makes a massive difference in performance. On the odd occasion when ive been on a long trip somewhere and needed to fill up and cant find a station thats got super at the pumps and had to put in normal unleaded the car feels really sluggish in the upper gear when pulling round in the Vtec range. If your chopping between the two that might be the cause of the occasional drop in performance feel. They did a test on fifth gear once and used a gti golf i think it lost about 35 to 40 bhp when run on normal fuel!!! Just a thought dude.

Aye makes sense mate! Guy who I bought it off said him and the previous owner only ran it on 97+ RON fuel. I've only put 95 in as I know 97+ is good for a car but I didn't really imagine it would cause a problem not using it!?

Problem seems to be worse at full throttle, at 3/4 it doesn't seem to bog down as much, remember my MR2 used to cut out at full throttle (worse than the CTR) remember it was the plugs and leads in the end!

Not since I got it, took it off the other day and it looks cleanish, bit of rust round the mesh and few spots of dirt. Think it's been on a year to a year and a half. think it could be a contribution to the problem?

There's a guide on here for cleaning them I think ....... ?

Not since I got it, took it off the other day and it looks cleanish, bit of rust round the mesh and few spots of dirt. Think it's been on a year to a year and a half. think it could be a contribution to the problem?

There's a guide on here for cleaning them I think ....... ?

Could be, always worth trying out the cheap options first ;)

Had a good look tonight driving about and it's defiantly more noticeable in high gears 3rd and 4th you can really hear VTEC but it just feels like it's holding back but still revving up slower than it should.

Sometimes it hits the VTEC and just flys no problem but a lot of this time I'm getting this bogging down now :(

Also my revs are being limited at 7000 to 7500RPM :/ which isn't good cause it's Ment to go up to 8250 isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back