• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust DB limit for the road - UK

I am only asking this question as I can't find a direct answer, I have read eles where on the internet that the boys in blue (traffic coppers in particular) now carry decibel meters and can test you at the side for the road. As far as I was aware there is no set DB number to conform to only if it makes more noise than "standard". And also the only official test has to carried out in at least a half mile flat tarmacd area with no obsticals

on the way home back from japfest there was a civic at the side of the road with 3 coppers looking under and bonnet and two round the back of it and they looked like they were testing the exhaust.

There was mention that there is now a DB limit but I can't find it anywhere.

1) so if the aftermarket exhaust has a "e" stamped on it that makes it road legal ? But if it's louder than standard it's illegal ?

2) is there anything that the police can do that would actually stand ? Even if all mods Are declared and mot passed ??

many thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to remove my J's Racing 70RR (full race manifold, de-cat, unsilenced straight through 70mm system) as the police pulled me over due to "excessive noise" and booked me (gave me a ticket and a fine came through the post). They also gave me a section 59 (blacklisting the car) and warned that my exhaust was so ridiculous that if I was ever pulled over again and it was still fitted they had the power and were within their rights to seize and crush the car.

There isn't a set in stone dB figure to adhere to, just the mood of any potential police officer that may pull you over.

It doesn't matter if the modifications are declared or E-marked.

that's what i seem to find as a common consensus, all i am looking for really is silenced B-pipe and spoon n1. so i should be okay.
But on the other hand it must be hard for them to actually prosecute you ? But if you are sensible with it i.e. not revving up through a town at 1am in the morning or blasting past a police man at full throttle i should imagine that you would be okay

TarmacNymph's car was insanely loud by all accounts. Like brain-dribbling-out-your-ears-loud.

You'll have no problem with that setup mate. Honestly.

As above, with a silenced b-pipe and a Spoon N1 backbox you shouldn't have too many worries. You'll attract attention but as you say, so long as you aren't at full throttle past a police officer you should remain under their radar.

I was just unfortunate enough to be at full throttle in first gear trying to get into a gap out of a junction and police happened to be in the area. Sat in traffic with their radio on, behind five cars waiting at a roundabout, and I was over 300 yards away from the roundabout heading from a different direction. Yeah, my exhaust was loud. :lol:

Oh, and it was just a fine; no points. But the fine can vary massively depending on what the officer books you for. I was very lucky (as he seemed to really like my car and was a nice guy) and my fine was only £50 (for amending the exhaust to increase volume). But if he had booked me properly (for running a de-cat and no silencers) the fine could have been a good few hundred; touching £500 in extreme cases (which mine would have been) he said.

TarmacNymph's car was insanely loud by all accounts. Like brain-dribbling-out-your-ears-loud.

You'll have no problem with that setup mate. Honestly.

My loss of hearing can vouch for Karl's car. When I drive it, I managed to get a whole 10 pump petrol forecourt to stop what they were doing and stare in amazement :lol: But good god it sounded great.

140db that's fecking loud :twisted: I was just a tad concerned, and as I said I thought the proposed set up I want will be fine and copable, was just curious :) thank you guys that have replied :)

Glad we could help.

And if you're curious, go to page one on my build thread, look in the contents and find a link to a video (there's a few) and have your speakers turned up (but not too much, I can't be held responsible for blowing them up). :lol:

Yeah they're in my thread somewhere (I can't link them as I'm on my phone), but I've got drive-by, tunnel, and track videos.

okay i am at work now so i have all the time in the world to find them :lol: this job has its perks of no work sometimes :)

There's no official limit accross the uk, it's down to individual constabularies discretion. Usually recommended to be between 85 and 90db. Suffolk use 83db but won't prosecute until it's over 90. I know as i've had a fine after i got his db meter to hit 93

Theres more to it though. Mrs was one pulled over, i have my suspicions she was reversed against a wall. I took the car back to solid fabs, we used his phone for reference. We knew it wasn't accurate, but that we needed to drop 4db. His phone said 84db. We got it down to 78db. Police came out and retested it (i was on anpr register until they cleared it), they read it 79db. A 14db drop alledgedly.

Back