• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Failed MOT - Too noisey, help?

Jp1

Hi

Just failed the MOT today due to the exhaust being too noisey - spoon b-pipe and spoon n1 backbox. Only other modifactions are tegiwa intake though I doubt that makes a difference too much.

Anyone else failed due to a similar set up? Whats most annoying is that it passed the last 2 years all fine with the same mods!

I'm thinking of either buying a bung or putting the oem system back on. Would the bung make it quiet enough / the MOT tester allow it? Alternatively would I need the whole oem system back on or maybe just the backbox?

Thanks

The backbox would make it a lot quieter. I have a 421 manifold and spoon bpipe with oem backbox and its not loud at all. but I get a mate to mot cause of the 421.

I had the bung and it does bring the volume down quite a lot. I didn't think they were checking volume yet, strange.

The actual rule:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]b. a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average conditio[/FONT]n

Basically it is subjective so down to the tester and not an actual volume.

Change to OEM for test. Put Spoon back on after.

Just think how many people do this with de-cats.

Ive never failed a car yet for being to noisy. I cant see the point. If your ever in the area (Shropshire) pop In and ill do it for you

sent from the middle of nowhere, the centre of everywhere!

OK cheers all

Sadly not near Shropshire sir swish but thanks!

So I can take it to any MOT tester? Does this change after the current MOT expires (7th Feb) or do I have to take it back to the original one after this point? The dvla website isn't too helpful....

Sir swish, this is handy to know. I'm in Telford so may give you a shout! Sorry for the thread jack! Like others have said may be worth swapping just for the test then swapping back. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the ruling is that if you have a car failed at a testing station only they can fast track it (test the failure items only) with in 10 working days and normally for free. If your not happy taking it back you can by all means have another test done but itll be full test and youd have yo pay again

Sir swish, this is handy to know. I'm in Telford so may give you a shout! Sorry for the thread jack! Like others have said may be worth swapping just for the test then swapping back.

I live and work in telford so pop in anytime mate always nice to meet a type r enthusiast :)

I have a DC Sports cat back. It is much much louder on tick-over when the car is running cold. When it is warm however, its much quieter on tick-over - probably because of the lower revs after it is up to temp.
Maybe something to consider perhaps?

Sir swish, this is handy to know. I'm in Telford so may give you a shout! Sorry for the thread jack! Like others have said may be worth swapping just for the test then swapping back.

I live and work in telford so pop in anytime mate always nice to meet a type r enthusiast :)

Where you based bud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halfords aytocentres in tweedale. I used be a techy for vauxhall but fancied the managerial life

Thanks for the advice. Passed today without making any changes with the MOT tester TGM use.

Back