• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fitting LSD

you know anyone or heard of anyone with the mugen ?>

Mugen dare I say it is overpriced for alot of it's kit. I do not know of many people with a mugen diff.

Eg, There airbox is £££ but it is not much better than the factory airbox.

Don't get me wrong alot of mugen kit is great but I do not hear of many people opting for a mugen diff over the spoon/quaife.

I enquired about diffs for my DC5 and tom (TGM) really rates the spoon diff, And that is good enough for me!!

Out of interest Necrominion do you have a lowering springs and a fast road set up yet?

as of yet i do not m8. i only had the ctr for bout 2-3 weeks now but got a mugen exhaust fitted and just plannin out some gear for over the next year or so. been checkin parts out and i understand the basics of how it all works but i dont know enough to compare parts from different companies. I do earn pretty decent money though so i dont mind spending a little more as long as its worth the gains.

as of yet i do not m8. i only had the ctr for bout 2-3 weeks now but got a mugen exhaust fitted and just plannin out some gear for over the next year or so. been checkin parts out and i understand the basics of how it all works but i dont know enough to compare parts from different companies. I do earn pretty decent money though so i dont mind spending a little more as long as its worth the gains.

In this case I dont think the Mugen LSD does warrant the money in performance terms.

If you want to make the car completely Mugen then that would be the way to go for you, but if you want the best out the car then Spoon would be the route to take.

Spoon FTW :lol::twisted:

I'd get the Spoon if I was in your situation.
Regarding my quaife, I got from a group buy on this forum about a year and a half ago.
There are other options if you want to go a different way. Kaaz does one, so does Cusco. They might be quite difficult to source though.

Yes the main difference is that with the spoon if you go loose complete traction on one wheel then the diff will actually do its job, where with the quaife it wont. you need a minimum of traction for the quaife to engage.

The quaife is smoother, you don't feel it engaging like the spoon would.

ok ok from what ive gathered from here and other research i beleive it works as follows.. u get clutch and helical lsd's and from what ive heard the best type for street driving tends to be the helical as it will engage even if both wheels spin whereas the clutch type requires a minimal amount of traction to be present. helical diffs also require less maintenence than the clutch type.
quaife is a helical type and mugen and spoon are clutch types? is this right soo far ? and if so is there a difference in fitting charges between the 2 types? ...
again i appreciate all the advice lads. im also aware that there are other types of lsds available but these are the easiest to source hence why i would probably stick to them

ok ok from what ive gathered from here and other research i beleive it works as follows.. u get clutch and helical lsd's and from what ive heard the best type for street driving tends to be the helical as it will engage even if both wheels spin whereas the clutch type requires a minimal amount of traction to be present. helical diffs also require less maintenence than the clutch type.
quaife is a helical type and mugen and spoon are clutch types? is this right soo far ? and if so is there a difference in fitting charges between the 2 types? ...
again i appreciate all the advice lads. im also aware that there are other types of lsds available but these are the easiest to source hence why i would probably stick to them

dude... bit of recap for you:
Spoon/Mugen: Clutch diff
Quaife: Helical Diff

Spoon: 1.5 way
Mugen: 1 way
Quaife: 1 way

Helical diff: act as an open diff (ie crap) if one wheel is on ice.
clutch diff: locks up (ie works) as soon as the difference of torque between the 2 wheels is greater than a preset amount.

Fitting: exactly the same. Take the box out, take you standard diff out, add a new bearing (to pay on top of diff) to the new diff, fit it back in gearbox, done.

oh yeah, and Lottie isnt a boy ... the hint is under her screen name: the Duchess...

Last edited by a moderator:
dude... bit of recap for you:
Spoon/Mugen: Clutch diff
Quaife: Helical Diff

Spoon: 1.5 way
Mugen: 1 way
Quaife: 1 way

Helical diff: act as an open diff (ie crap) if one wheel is on ice.
clutch diff: locks up (ie works) as soon as the difference of torque between the 2 wheels is greater than a preset amount.

Fitting: exactly the same. Take the box out, take you standard diff out, add a new bearing (to pay on top of diff) to the new diff, fit it back in gearbox, done.

oh yeah, and Lottie isnt a boy ... the hint is under her screen name: the Duchess...

Thanks for clearing that up, wondered where my man bits had dropped off to :lol:

Has anyone got the Spoon 1.5 LSD fitted?? I seem to remember you said you were getting one Lottie??

How is it for slow town driving, pulling out of junctions etc...

Mine is pretty 'clunky', and needs a few revs when manoevering etc... I am still getting used to it, as its so much more aggressive than any other I have driven with. Especially weird getting used to it engaging when lifting off the accelerator.

I really need to find out which one it is as the car came from Japan with it fitted. Most people have commented its probably one of the Cusco LSD's.

Has anyone got the Spoon 1.5 LSD fitted?? I seem to remember you said you were getting one Lottie??

How is it for slow town driving, pulling out of junctions etc...

Mine is pretty 'clunky', and needs a few revs when manoevering etc... I am still getting used to it, as its so much more aggressive than any other I have driven with. Especially weird getting used to it engaging when lifting off the accelerator.

I really need to find out which one it is as the car came from Japan with it fitted. Most people have commented its probably one of the Cusco LSD's.

Yes I have had it fitted for around 1 month now, maybe slightly longer.

Initially is was very clunky but it has settled down a lot now. TBH its getting to the point where I don't really notice it anymore, well that is until i'm having a little fun and its working nicely :twisted:.

I have driven a CTR with a Quaiffe in and the difference in the two is worlds apart.

That will be my car you hammered around North Weald:lol:... Glad you went for the Spoon diff in the end:cool:,,, wish I had gone for the Spoon!!! Judging by the way you was flying around Brands the other week it was a good investment;)...

I am going to replace my Quaiffe for the Spoon in the new year,,, just wish I had taken Tom @ TGM's advise the first time!!!

That will be my car you hammered around North Weald:lol:... Glad you went for the Spoon diff in the end:cool:,,, wish I had gone for the Spoon!!! Judging by the way you was flying around Brands the other week it was a good investment;)...

I am going to replace my Quaiffe for the Spoon in the new year,,, just wish I had taken Tom @ TGM's advise the first time!!!

Me hammer it, never ;)

Your turn in mine for the next NW day :twisted:

lol this probably a daft question but i may aswell ask.. does fitting a lsd help yer insurance in anyway since it improves control over your car? or would they take it as an indication u intend to drive a bit harder and be more likely to hit a tree? ( asking soley on the principle of if u would actually tell them in the first place);)

lol this probably a daft question but i may aswell ask.. does fitting a lsd help yer insurance in anyway since it improves control over your car? or would they take it as an indication u intend to drive a bit harder and be more likely to hit a tree? ( asking soley on the principle of if u would actually tell them in the first place);)

I told mine, made no difference.

I would phone though if I were you to double check.

these posts make a nice read... Ordered my JDM ARB today :p and front upper strut brace, went for a OMP one only 55 quid delivered from www.strutbracer.co.uk , some engine mounts and hopefully a DC Sports lower tie bar if in stock:confused: so hopefully get some sort of improvment over standard :D

So if im reading this right the spoon LSD is better than the quiffe?? has anyone tried mugen LSD?

Back