• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

And he got close based on driving the NSX for a lap and then being coached how to drive the circuit over and over in the CTR.

Did struggle with him, incredibly annoying. Still need to do a few laps round there, it's only 15 mins away from me.

He's not written that from the perspective of someone who needs to live with the car. He said himself we wants one, can't afford one, so he wouldn't be running a commuter and an FK2. As an occasional car it's great, to live with as a hot hatch i.e. taking the kids to school, doing the commute and taking the b-roads home, the new car is a better all rounder.

He's not written that from the perspective of someone who needs to live with the car. He said himself we wants one, can't afford one, so he wouldn't be running a commuter and an FK2. As an occasional car it's great, to live with as a hot hatch i.e. taking the kids to school, doing the commute and taking the b-roads home, the new car is a better all rounder.
I think its going to come down to what some one wants, some people like the harder core feel. But i think Loxy is right. Evan though i dont particularly like the looks of the FK8 ill think ill be looking at one once my 3 years is up on my FK2.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agreed it's a personal thing. The FK2 suits me as I wanted something hardcore. The FK8 is going to be more comfortable. But I didn't want comfort and have no issues with how the car feels on my 700 mile a month commute. The FK8 will always feel diluted after spending time in an FK2 because it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed it's a personal thing. The FK2 suits me as I wanted something hardcore. The FK8 is going to be more comfortable. But I didn't want comfort and have no issues with how the car feels on my 700 mile a month commute. The FK8 will always feel diluted after spending time in an FK2 because it is.

My feelings exactly, maybe a special edition or facelift would get my attention but as it is no thanks.

Alrighty chaps.

I'm looking at cars again. Still got just over a year left on the pcp for my diesel civic, never getting another pcp, so starting to save a deposit. Trying to think of something fun and practical as two cars are out of the question for now. The plan was for a scoob wagon or similar, but the thought just occured that my roof bars, bike and ski racks, bootliner and all the other practical accessories would fit straight onto an FK2.....

I see they're going for low 20ks now, so a definite possibility for finance. How are you guys finding the running costs and daily useability? And most importantly, availability of tasty parts? Would need at least wheels, coilies and intake noise!

How are you guys finding the running costs....

Expect new front rubber every 5000 miles. Rear 10,000 miles. £150+ per corner. Brakes last around 25,000. Servicing is either variable depending on driving style or fixed at 12k miles. Service costs, ask as dealer, or find a car with 555 for free servicing.

.... and daily useability?

Fine. I'm a 14,000 per year miler. No problems to report. Its an aggressive drive, it cruises fine, is perfectly comfortable for what it is and has all the mod-cons. Its a Jekyll (R mode) and Hyde (+R mode) car. A very angry Jekyll and very very angry Hyde.

And most importantly, availability of tasty parts? Would need at least wheels, coilies and intake noise!

Wheels are anything from 1k to 6k. Suspension virtually every owner leaves stock as you'll lose the +R mode adjustable dampers or owners just buys some lowering springs as its utterly perfect as is. Best air intake is Eventuri. Look around https://www.dream-automotive.com for trick bits. The most common mod is to fit an aftermarket exhaust as the stock sound is very muted unless at full-chat.

Thanks for that bud!

Jeez, that's a lot of rubber, my diseasel is now 25k on the original tyres! I'm thinking my costs will remain roughly the same, as my current civic was brand new with all the toys and 18k miles per year. So probably comparable if I finance a £20k FK2 with it's higher running costs.

I find my civic super practical now that I have it kitted out, hence the thought of swapping to the R version of the same body. That boot is cavernous! Do the rear seats still do all the fancy folding stuff?

Yeah, I would need wheels. My only big gripe about the looks is the super-high offset wheels being lost in the arches. Plus stretched tyres AND arch gap makes me want to claw my eyes out. On the right set of wheels they look badass.

I guess you haven't seen any of my old cars? I enjoy hardcore. I'm not a fan of fancy adjustable suspension, it's just one of those things that gets under my skin and irritates me. All that would be coming off asap, mostly for my (admittedly old fashioned and stubborn) peace of mind and happiness. A firm and consistent setup is what does it for me.

Jeez, that's a lot of rubber, my diseasel is now 25k on the original tyres! I'm thinking my costs will remain roughly the same, as my current civic was brand new with all the toys and 18k miles per year. So probably comparable if I finance a £20k FK2 with it's higher running costs.

If you drive it real real careful you can maybe squeeze 8k out of front rubber. Some people report 12k but you'd have to drive it like your Nan which misses the point of the car entirely. I don't drive mine all that hard 90% of the time and 5k was what i got.

Do the rear seats still do all the fancy folding stuff?

Kind of. Officially no. The rear seats still fold flat but do not do the magic-seat-base-flip-up-thing anymore. The seat bases are permanently clipped down. You can force those clips to one side with a screw driver to make the seat bases fold up but then the seat bases need holding up with the seatbelts. I guess the mechanism was unnecessary weight for a Type R.

A firm and consistent setup is what does it for me.

Test drive an FK2, in +R mode the ride is very very firm. Too firm for UK roads really. +R mode changes many little things but the only noticeable and noteworthy change form R to +R mode is the dampers firming up and the throttle response becomes very aggressive.... and the interior lights up like a red light district.

That's good to know, most of the time I'm a very sedate driver, occasionally I'm an idiot.

Ah well, I don't really use the foldy up seats often anyway. It's just a cool feature to have.

Yeah, I've had a few drives in one. Proper drives. Coming from my old EP3 it felt heavy and floaty, but now I've done 25k in a normal civic it will feel very different. It's really the principle of the adjustable damping that irritates me, not the actual performance of it. I'm sure it's brilliant. I'd be looking for the most basic example I could get; no satnav, auto wipers, parking sensors and so on. I would be happiest with a base model on good coilovers. It's just my unfortunate tastes, and if I'm going to live with one car then it has to appeal to me in as many ways as possible.

That's good to know, most of the time I'm a very sedate driver, occasionally I'm an idiot.

Ah well, I don't really use the foldy up seats often anyway. It's just a cool feature to have.

Yeah, I've had a few drives in one. Proper drives. Coming from my old EP3 it felt heavy and floaty, but now I've done 25k in a normal civic it will feel very different. It's really the principal of the adjustable damping that irritates me, not the actual performance of it. I'm sure it's brilliant. I'd be looking for the most basic example I could get; no satnav, auto wipers, parking sensors and so on. I would be happiest with a base model on good coilovers. It's just my unfortunate tastes, and if I'm going to live with one car then it has to appeal to me in as many ways as possible.

You'll sound like my father in law soon Jim and tell us that "its just more things to go wrong" ;)

The dash lights up like a Christmas tree with the dampers unplugged by all accounts. KW do a kit that comes with a fooler for the adaptive damper system though. IMHO, Dream's Eibach springs are much less invasive and not nearly a compromise.

The dash lights up like a Christmas tree with the dampers unplugged by all accounts.

I'll bet they do! It seems there's a couple of ways around it though. I've got a bunch of research to do, I first thought of this as an option this morning. It might be prohibitively expensive to build one of these to my tastes, but it's got potential as an idea.

What's the score with remapping? I've seen a few people mention it, but can't find any specifics.

You still have to crack open the ECU to do it. Dream again really, they don't do the mapping but whoever they use are doing reliable custom maps.

Not sure if EFI in Runcorn map them, but they're getting a good rep, might be worth some enquiries?!

I'll bet they do! It seems there's a couple of ways around it though. I've got a bunch of research to do, I first thought of this as an option this morning. It might be prohibitively expensive to build one of these to my tastes, but it's got potential as an idea.

What's the score with remapping? I've seen a few people mention it, but can't find any specifics.

I encourage you to get one Jim. It will be hell of a thread if your ep3 is anything to go by ;)

I encourage you to get one Jim. It will be hell of a thread if your ep3 is anything to go by ;)

I'm becoming more and more tempted....
It won't be for about a year, as I need to finish my pcp and I'd like to see another couple grand off the prices. I bought my sport shortly after the fk2 was released, so there should be a few coming up to the end of their finance deals at about the right time.

I kinda wanna see the first bagged FK2. Not that I'm suggesting you do such a thing :twisted:

Yeah, I'm interested to see a few properly stanced. Wouldn't want to own a bagged one myself, but I appreciate the look.

Back