• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front bumper

Danger200

Not long after buying my Civic, I parked it on my sloped driveway but didn't leave it in gear (not realising how crap the handbrake is) and the car slowly rolled down my driveway onto my back gates over the course of the night.
The bolt that goes into the ground pierced a perfect circle into the front bumper of the car.

Is it worth me buying a standard Civic bumper in silver and swapping over the splitter and grille or having the hole repaired?
I cant seem to find any breakers in my area so have no idea how much the bumpers go for and I'm waiting for a guy to get back to me with a quote.

New bumper from Honda = £240 delivered, painted.

I imagine your front bumper is not mint, so other areas would need a touch up too.

Repairing hole will be about £120+. then I am not convinced that it would be perfect forever, and gradually you would see line where the filler sunk.

I am replacing my bumper today, luckily I got a second hand mint one.

...also post a wanted ad on CTRO for silver front bumper. check ebay for 'breaking civic'

I have just been on CTRO actually, found one guy breaking a few of them. But he is based in Stafford which is a bugger. Another member was selling the front bumper and splitter for £120 which is a bit much. I was hoping for sub £100.
If I have it repaired I will more than likely get the scuff from the drunk driver incident sorted too (it's not noticeable but I know it's there). Plus the bumper is like a sort of plastic/hard rubber combo, I expect any flex would knock the filler out after time?

Where did you source your bumper if you dont mind me asking?

The type r is different to the standard, only because of the splitter.

The type r one has 8 holes, and 2 little brackets, you realy need the type r one! See my guide I have just done.

I paid £110 for my new one, that was without the splitter, so £120 with is a bargain as you can ebay the splitter for £100?

I'm not too far from Stafford so could save you an extra hour of your journey if needs be

DON'T BUY STANDARD BUMPER

You can buy my old one for £50 posted - god knows how much postage would be.

It's not mint, so you could get that one repairs instead of being off the road!?

Ah good, perfect. I was just about to make a thread on this. 240 is expensive, but not TOO bad if its painted and delivered also.

Mine isn't flush on the LHS and extrudes, no idea if it's repairable, may need to take it off.
IMG_0685.jpg

Be interested to know how you get on Danga 200!

No but i can get one mate in an hour or so. Didn't see it when i bought it. Chances are its been dinged at some point i'd imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not too bad it's just a bit irritating to see on pictures etc. My badge is ordered, it's only the bumper letting the car down now, but 240 is expensive for a slight extrusion.

Don't know how I missed it upon purchase. Oh well :(

As I want my car spanking I have asked for a quote to sort a few scuff out and I asked about these bumpers being repaired and the guy said he can mold it back, I'm assuming he means by melting or something but I will check out the quote and update this thread.

Type-Ri'macoming, have you tried to get rid of the kink by removing and refitting the bumper again? It's easy to misalign the bumper; playingwith the fitting may sort the kink out?

Has it actually 'bent' the bumper?

Type-Ri'macoming, have you tried to get rid of the kink by removing and refitting the bumper again? It's easy to misalign the bumper; playingwith the fitting may sort the kink out?

Has it actually 'bent' the bumper?

I'm not really sure, it isn't like a definite crease. It's flexible and can be gently pushed to be flatter. That's quite a good suggestion, definitely worth a shot. I suppose they could have taken it off to spray it (hence the paint, not rare with stone chips) and refitted it badly. I'll do that TypeRiter as soon as time permits, thanks! Any progress i'll put in here.

If the bumper is not creased for definite and does squeeze/press out when pushed - I would remove and re-fit the bumper. It's only a couple of screws in the arches. The bumper is held on mainly by slide in clips - if you could call them that.

I have fitted bumpers way too many times to remember and always find that the first time I refit it, I have to pull it off and refit it again - as it's easy to fit and misalign them even if all the lines look consistent and everything fits flush. Due to the bumper being a massive piece of flexible plastic - it's easy for the fixing points to look correctly fitted but for other sections of the bumper to be out of sync.

My tip would be to fit the centre of the bumper correctly first then work your way out to each side where the actual slide clips/mounts are (under the lights, going toward the wheel arches) - almost like removing air-bubbbles when hanging wallpaper. That way usually gets the bumper flush with the headlights, at the arch joins, and ensures that the holes for the grille and slam panel line up without excessive stress on any of the items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, i have a silver EP3 facelift and i have grazed the frount passenger bumper, the lower section. does anyone have one that i can buy from them or know of one, Thanks Rory !

Rory - If it's the Lip, it costs approximately £330 from Honda new. If it's the bumper it will cost approx £270 new.

You could try CTRO as there are often cars being broken - however lips and bumpers rarely come up, usually because the majority of cars being broken have normally been involved in an accident, and the front end is, usually, the first part of the car to get damaged, being at the front and everyhting.

If the damage to yours can be recfified via a wet-sand and re-spray, I'd do that if it was significantly less than the new items.

Back