• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front Wheel Hop

I've noticed that the wifes CTR suffers very bad wheel hop at even the slightest bit of wheel spin

Does all CTRs suffer from this and if so is there a fix for it???

Only if your too heavy on the throttle on take off.

Get a ETD (Engine Torque Damper), J's do a good one these help alot, also some stiffer engine mounts should help.

I tend to not experiance it much, maybe because i'm a bit of a queen on full throttle starts :oops: .

I'm not that heavy on throttle but this weather isnt helping with the grip levels.

Any links for this ETD thingy and is it a big expensive job to have done

Offt the damper aint cheap eh lol

Those mounts are tho so gonna give them a bash first

Cheers guys

Just fitted a Spoon ETD, just looking for some advice on it please as the instructions are in Japanese!!

There are two washers at the suspension mount end that are labelled in the fitting diagram. What do these do? I'm assuming they adjust the uncompressed length and the rebound pressure, but which does what!!

Also I've noticed that my engine note has changed, especially after the Vtec changeover. It almost sounds like it's got an induction kit, it sounds really beasting. :twisted: And yes I've checked nothings come off round the air intake! Is this normal now the block won't be flexing on the mounts as much?!

Offt the damper aint cheap eh lol

Those mounts are tho so gonna give them a bash first

Cheers guys

Hey mate, let us know how you get on. Did the mounts sort the hopping/bouncing out?

Damper is pricey but few cheaper options too. IIRC 150 and 160 for a kit pack. Thats over 25% off compared to the spoon one.

Just fitted a Spoon ETD, just looking for some advice on it please as the instructions are in Japanese!!

There are two washers at the suspension mount end that are labelled in the fitting diagram. What do these do? I'm assuming they adjust the uncompressed length and the rebound pressure, but which does what!!

Also I've noticed that my engine note has changed, especially after the Vtec changeover. It almost sounds like it's got an induction kit, it sounds really beasting. :twisted: And yes I've checked nothings come off round the air intake! Is this normal now the block won't be flexing on the mounts as much?!

Bump to the above! Still don't know what the adjusters do.

I've got to say I'm loving the engine noise after the ETD has been fitted. I've taken it off and noise goes back to normal, put it back on and it sounds so mint. The response from the engine has been greatly improved. You can really feel what the engine is doing.

Wheel hop isn't completely eliminated. It will spin rather than hop most of the time now, which is easily sorted with the right foot, but when it is going to hop you can sort of feel the tyres start to break away before it happens and so back off the throttle a bit more. Hard to explain, but lots of fun!!

I'd whole heartedly recommend everyone get an ETD!! :smt023

I had ESMM put in my old DC5 & the difference was marked.
It felt like every ounce of power was transferred to the wheels rather than being lost in engine movement etc.

They are very stiff to start & cause a fair bit of cabin noise, but that does seem to calm down or I got used to it.
A great mod to have imo :twisted:

wheel hop will knacker your lca's, ball joints, tie rod ends and steering rack...avoid doing it wherever possible.

Where abouts is the front Engine mount situated in a DC5 Lee and would it be easy to fir a ESMM mount myself?

Where abouts is the front Engine mount situated in a DC5 Lee and would it be easy to fir a ESMM mount myself?

Tbh mate mine were fitted whilst the subframe was dropped & sump was being baffled so I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's not a DIY job tbh mate.

I remember someone mentioning that some people only fit one of the ESMM mounts as they are too much for some people.

Sorry I can't help more Tone

Tbh mate mine were fitted whilst the subframe was dropped & sump was being baffled so I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's not a DIY job tbh mate.

I remember someone mentioning that some people only fit one of the ESMM mounts as they are too much for some people.

Sorry I can't help more Tone

No worries chap. I'll just stick with the J's ETD then. ;)

No worries chap. I'll just stick with the J's ETD then. ;)

There not too bad to do if you handy with spanners etc, Im sure there was a how to on CTRO. The main pron with them is there fiddly and use of a ramp does make it easyier to do. Next time its in for a service get them to fit them.

Here you go Jermal. Found this for you. The pics are not working for me though???
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=ESMM_Install

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bring up an old thread.....
But did you ever get this sorted? Mine does this if I floor it in first gear.

The car will hop if you floor it in first it's a quirk of the car. Either update your engine mounts or get an ETD these are the only solutions bar not driving so hard in first.

Oh ok at least it's not just mine haha,
I'm guessing the engine mounts are the cheapest option, are they a pain to fit?

Back