• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fuel for FK2

This has almost turned into an argument...
Put in what the hell you like. It'll run fine on 95 Ron, better on higher octane.
I know what's going in mine, my choice. No keyboard warrior will change that.
Make your own mind up.

Supermarket fuel is derived from the same base components as any branded fuel.

It's the additional additives your paying for, or should I say overpaying for.

These additives cost around 0.24ppl, yet the premium markup tended to be 6-8ppl premium.

It is absolutely proven that these additives work, however that's a hefty 'Marketing markup'.

People have to make a living. :lol:

This has almost turned into an argument...
Put in what the hell you like. It'll run fine on 95 Ron, better on higher octane.
I know what's going in mine, my choice. No keyboard warrior will change that.
Make your own mind up.

Hardly argumentative nor a keyboard warrior; the OP asked what was best, and the reality is that a higher octane, more expensive fuel is best. If people want to buy an expensive car that would perform better with a little extra outlay per tank but decide to fill it with lower quality options then you are right, it is their (and your) choice. It's more the people that hate against the higher octane fuels stipulating that it isn't worth it when the facts and the science prove that it is. Of course the car will work on 95; it has to by European legislation. But it will work better if they weren't such a cheapskate (that latter part being my personal view point, obviously).

It is best but high octane fuel also has its downsides, its now 10% ethanol.
Couple of quotes from a site:
Ethanol absorbs water from the air. The water condenses in the fuel tank and will pull the ethanol out of suspension with the petrol. This is bad news because it strips the octane out of the petrol, leaving you with a layer of octane-poor fuel on top and a water-ethanol layer mixture on the bottom. If this gets sucked into the combustion chamber, you will have poor starting and very rough running with potentially engine damage.
Ethanol contains less chemical energy than petrol does, and this means less mileage for the driver. 3-5% drops in mileage are expected.
I know people say you get more miles but since switching back to nitro I'm topping up earlier than what I did on standard.
Cox Honda also sell a fuel additive that helps remove moisture from ethanol so they must be aware.

In the 2 years I have owned my ep3, I have only ever used V Power. It is not just about minimal performance gains, if it looks after your lump over the mileage it will cover in its lifetime then I'm 100% for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My EP3 had 95 octane with 5% ethanol for 14 years. Regular exercises with 230 km/h+ on the Autobahn. The engine still runs and sounds like on it's first day. I tried V-Power or similar high-end fuel a few times. It had no positive effect whatsoever. Same mileage, same power. My new FK2 gets the same. Tested V-Power once. Same acceleration, same top speed. Fuel consumption seems to be the same too. In my opinion V-Power and all those other "high-performance"-fuels are a total rip off. Plus: Here in Germany they cost 20 Cents more per liter.

On a turbo car the gains can be big, on one with over 300bhp you could see 10%+
ask any car mapper they will back this up or even watch the video from 5th gear posted
a few pagers back

My FK2 runs 275 km/h with 95 oct and 275 km/h with V-Power. 0-200 acceleration is the same. I don't buy it. In German car media the consensus is also that it's a scam - despite of German manufacturers being very fond of building engines that need at least 98 oct.

But out of the factory a car will be able to utilise both octanes, it's more noticeable if your car has been mapped on a specific fuel. Moreover, even an OEM vehicle needs its ecu reset, as per the video posted previously.

They didn't test economy which is disappointing. Also, how much do people spend on mods chasing that extra 5 bhp!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Buys £35k car, quibbles about an extra £3.50 per tank on a performance fuel. Even if you didn't believe the science behind the benefits, why would you not want to fill a performance vehicle with a performance fuel? The owners manual even recommends it; the ability to run on low octane supermarket rubbish (which is inconsistent as it's purchased from whoever is the cheapest at the time) is just a failsafe for when a decent fuel is unavailable.

The mind boggles.

Nail on the head right there!

As the saying goes; you get what you pay for.

It's not all about extra power, especially on a standard car. It's about feeding the lump under the bonnet a good diet. Hold on while I start using Mineral Oil!

If you can't afford to run the car then don't buy it! That comes down to servicing, tyres, fuel, spare parts like brakes etc.

Put it this way; you had live on microwave meals all your life and chances are you'll be fine. But put yourself on a balanced diet with regular exercise and you'll reap the rewards over the long term.
The same applies to a car; put the good stuff in and you'll be reaping the rewards over the long term.

Sadly some people don't think that far ahead. "Ooh I can afford that" etc, without accounting for any of the extras. It's the same in the second hand R35 GT-R world; "wow, it's only £30k! I'll have that", not realising it costs upwards of £12k a year to keep it on the road.

Fuel Octane never goes down well on a forum lol. Bit like discussing tyres.

My ep3 is on over 150k miles, i only use 95Ron fuel and it runs smooth like new. I agree though that if the car was turbo'd or the ECU was mapped for a higher octane then it would be a different story and the performance gains would actually be noticeably worth it.

My old mk2 XR2 used to love V-Power. Probably because it had no ecu or fuel injection, but it used to fly on that stuff!!

Fuel Octane never goes down well on a forum lol. Bit like discussing tyres.

My ep3 is on over 150k miles, i only use 95Ron fuel and it runs smooth like new. I agree though that if the car was turbo'd or the ECU was mapped for a higher octane then it would be a different story and the performance gains would actually be noticeably worth it.

My old mk2 XR2 used to love V-Power. Probably because it had no ecu or fuel injection, but it used to fly on that stuff!!

All about V-Power :smt023

Shell v power is very good along with tesco momentum. If the tank is clean of regular unleaded I do feel the car is more responsive in its urgency. I also get more miles out of the tank, of course that depends on how your drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back