• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

gear stick looks bent?

I have just put a deposit down on a ctr. what it says in the title really..... stick is on a squint- it seems to have been puhed to the left. Im not sure if the mechanism has been bent at all. The previous owner did have a aftermarket gear knob on but he has changed it back to oem- he has put it on upside down tho.

any ideas guys???

Also

Is this normal....

I test drove the car 2 days ago. I jumped in drivers side and went to wiggle the gearstick to see if the car was in neutral before starting her up. The gear stick didnt budge at all. When I started it up I could then engage any gear with ease........ Is this like a safety feature or have I a fault with the car.

Sorry about the essay :lol:

Doesn't sound fantastic to me?

Only problems i've ever has was in extremely cold weather, and it struggled to go into second, no other probs though?

That don't sound good mate, i'd give that one a miss if i was you. The box on the Civic is nice and slick, with a good positive clunky feeling to it when you engage gears.

It should move like this:

[video=youtube;1UOOVt8J1LU]old link autoupdated[/video]

thanks for the replies so far.

If the keys are not in the ignition should the gear stick still move because mine dont move untill I turn the engine on. Its a 05 plate........ So do you think its a fault.....new gear box or summat????

It looks a bit suspicious as the gear knob doesnt come out as far as other type r's if you know what I mean- the rubber gaiter is crinkled nearer the gear knob and not fully stretched

Ill try and upload a picture for you all.

check out the gear stick!

media

Walk away, that looks well dodgy. The stereo and cubby are suspect too, they're not fitted properly.

Something isn't right there,

Firstly it looks like the gator isn't fitted correctly, which may be the problem although unlikely.

Maybe the its hard a short shifter kit fitted.

Looks like the dash has been out and not put back togther correctly.
Am i right in thinking you have already bought the car?

hi mate. Yes looks like the stereo has been out but that doesn't bother me to much as it will be out with me if I do buy the car to put my cd player in lol.

I have put a £50 deposit down but im very close to leaving the car on the forecourt! He can keep the 50 notes!!!

Every thing seems fine. No big gaps in panels, no sign of overspray!!!
hpi checked.

Just the gear knob/ stick is the main concern as it doesn't seem to expand as much as the others.

I have a conclusion of it being a BUDDY CLUB short shifter kit but will this prevent movement into any gears when the engine is switched off.

Is this one of the draw backs of the kit...... I dont know..

Has any one got it on their ep3....pictures???

ive checked the mani, cat...... looking for any tell tale signs of aftermarket items....all.ok, not tampered with. Ive done research on buddy club and it says with the short shifter kit on there is a inch difference in length compared to standard which may result in the creasing and unusual shape of the gear stick.

What do you think???

appreciate any help regarding this matter, cheers

I have a conclusion of it being a BUDDY CLUB short shifter kit but will this prevent movement into any gears when the engine is switched off.

I don't have a Buddy Club shifter kit but my vid was without the key in the ignition. I can't see how having the key in would make any difference on stock or with this kit.

I'd walk away, it wont take long to find another one that doesn't have this issue. I'm guessing but it looks like the frame is twisted that houses the centre of the dash.

Image001.jpg

This is a pic of the inside of my wife's EV1 dash. See how the frame runs down the sides. The stereo and the storage tub underneath bolt onto this and the bracket at the back you cannot see. If this frame was bent it would also affect the gear stick as that bolts to it too.

The car could have been in an accident. HPI check only shows if it was recorded as an insurance loss, not any claims against it. :eek:

thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. When I was sat in the drivers seat the stick would not move at all with the engine off, it was solid, but when engine was started it moved freely, there was no notches in the travel through every gear, it felt good. So how turning the engine on solved it I have no Idea.

Going back to your opinion, if the frame was bent she wouldnt move if the engine was turned on any way surely????

Im no mechanic tho

Seriously just tell them you don't want it, there's thousands of the bloody things out there, you'll easily find another one.

would it be worth getting one of those men in yellow "the AA to do one of those 150 point checks on the car....costs 135 quid but worth it.

Do you know where the crumple zones are on the ep3. Ill check those and look for any damage!!

I think the crumple zones would be a bumper off job.

img07.jpg

But I'd say if the radiator's new that would be a good indication!

About the stick not moving it may be completly un-related or it could be the linkages being at a funny angle, starting the engine starts the gearbox moving, i.e. in neutral the box still turns, just no gears are engaging the final drive. With the box moving you can select gears.

This may be a buddy club thing, but it definately doesn't happen stock.

But with that and the radio and storage cubby being badly fitted, I'd look for another. If you've any doubts buying a used car, look for another. It's a buyers market at the moment! :D

Back