• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

From the Brembo Web site,
BEDDING IN
Upon replacement, the pads and discs, must be road tested.
Bedding in lasts about 200 km, during which it is essential to check for vibrations and noise from the brakes, both when driving and braking

The braking must be effective and brief and gradual brakes must be performed to allow proper alignment of the pad surface in contact with the disc.

Extremely sharp or violent braking can cause overheating of the friction material of the pads and disc, eventually compromising the integrity and the performance of brakes.

I'm finding the brake issue a bit odd tbh. A friend of mine attended a tech-talk with a Brembo rep not more than 2 or 3 weeks ago. He informed the mechanics and engineers and other esteemed automotive attendees (touring car drivers, rally drivers, etc.) that Brembo brakes do not have a bedding in period as they're heat treated in the factory. Basically, hammer the things from go as if they had been bedded in.

He also said he wouldn't recommend the drilled discs on a road car, as at low speeds and around town they're notoriously squeaky and are best suited to a track setup.

If you want the squeak gone, switch to a pad and disc combination you've used before that didn't squeak.

I love loud if there is quality to the noise. That sounds like a big bore exhaust on a corsa. Not cool ;(

Milltek are usually quite mild I find - as per comments on civicx will be interesting to hear resonated

You won't get no other noise from a civic,
I remember the FK2 release and every aftermarket exhaust was questioned about the noise, TDI north said its due to the turbo, if you want proper noise go bigger turbo (along those lines).
I assume the fk8 shares the fk2's turbo if so it's quite small apparently

Speaking of turbos, can any FK8 owner actually hear theirs?? I cant, even with the windows down, radio off driving like Ace Ventura....

I seem to remember the FK2 turbo chattering away but maybe not....

I was watching the threads about the noisy front brakes thinking how lucky i was as mine are noise free, dunno how but they are. Then I take a trip up the motorway 3 days crawling in and around Edinburgh and the front brake squeal was terrible. Back down the motorway to the Cotswolds up and down hills, A road blast and not a squeek to be heard again.

There is no doubt I couldn't live with the noise if I was in town traffic very often.

Just thought I'd add in on the brakes, I don't own an FK8 but when brakes squeal like That, copper slip the rear of the pads and it should eliminate the squeal, not sure if new cars come with the pads greased or not?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Prefer the Greddy look meself (preproduction piece looks very close to the bumper)

img_3232-jpg.66760

img_3234-jpg.66761

Although the Magnaflow with CF tips are sexy:

maxresdefault.jpg

I see Greddy are also doing an oil cooler, absolutely needed if you're tracking as a few US bods have reported overheating issues.

20953645_10209763562237939_2613809869208395566_n-jpg.66685

If it was a design issue combination of drilled discs and brake compound then it would be every car !! Its a quality issue as some are affected and some are not. Again can we have a count of those with oxidising discs and those that are like stainless....mine are like mirrors lol.

Just thought I'd add in on the brakes, I don't own an FK8 but when brakes squeal like That, copper slip the rear of the pads and it should eliminate the squeal, not sure if new cars come with the pads greased or not?

I've mentioned this at least two times in this thread yet I don't think anyone has tried it.

I've mentioned this at least two times in this thread yet I don't think anyone has tried it.
Sorry this thread has so many pages on it I didn't see you had mentioned it mate. That's the first thing I'd do anyway rather than go through Honda.

If it was a design issue combination of drilled discs and brake compound then it would be every car !! Its a quality issue as some are affected and some are not. Again can we have a count of those with oxidising discs and those that are like stainless....mine are like mirrors lol.

It wouldn't be every car. Every owners driving habits are different. The brake issue is coming from people pottering around town. That's why some are affected and some are not. I'd put money one car with the issue and one without the issue will have a similar production date with discs and pads coming from the same production batch.

As for oxidizing, I've had this on plenty of cars. Some I could leave for a couple days and there's be spots. Some could leave for months.

When I left my Impreza sit for a couple months, the drivers side discs were oxidised and the passenger side was still shiny. This was with godspeed 2 piece grooved discs.

How much would it cost to throw in a set of pads and see if it remedies it? Cheaper yet, buy a tin of copper grease and slap it on the back of the current pads and see if that solves it.

I tend to agree with Chris as within a day of mine being away from slow speed braking the noise has completely gone so makes me think it is
the pads glazing up.

I have use copper slip on my EK9 but they made noise all the time until I did this, whereas the FK8 is fine around and about but was so so loud in slow traffic.

So in my case some hard braking and the noise has gone.

Sorry this thread has so many pages on it I didn't see you had mentioned it mate. That's the first thing I'd do anyway rather than go through Honda.

No need to apologise. I just think people should drive the car hard a few times and if the noise persists then try copper slip rather than trying to get anywhere with Honda.

Why anyone would want to drop their brand new car back to honda so they can take it out on a road test ( thrash the nuts off it, dont think they wont either, in fact you will probaly find more than one person 'checks your brakes' for you ! After unplugging your dash cam obiviously . ) is beyond me. I had noisy brakes on my fk2, its from driving round town slowly 1 big stop from speed and its sorted for a couple of days then it will come back. Its 100 percent the pads glazing up. Ive done 5000 miles and the pattern is always the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I genuinely have a hard lap i do when i get close to home. My FK2 is a daily and gets stuck in traffic a lot. After a frustrating journey i get my frustrations out with a quick blast through a quiet industrial estate, up and down a half mile dual carriageway and then home. Brings a smile every time. The brakes never squeak after.

Back