• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Good cheaper tyres

Are there any tyres for 19" rage alloys that are cheap but still perform well.I don't like putting my foot down in the wet but sometimes like to give it some beans in and out of the corners.
Yes I know people are going to say things like "how much do you value your life etc" but there must be some decent tyres around for under £100 a tyre.I'm seeING a lot of tyres on ebay for like £130 a tyre and would like to save a few quid if poss but if not then I will go with a decent set for max money

Uniroyal Rain Expert are excellent value for money in comparison to RainSports if you're miss daisy driving the majority of the time.

It's not just how a tyre behaves in terms of grip that matters, it's the whole feel of the car too. Don't forget we're getting into the colder months so some sub £100 tyres in 19" will not only feel like jelly but they're be pretty poor at keeping you safe on the road.

But sure, save yourself a few quid...

I really don’t understand why people buy a type r or any decent car for that matter and put cheap / crappy tyres on!! It’s one of the most important things to purchase on a car, don’t you think?

I really don’t understand why people buy a type r or any decent car for that matter and put cheap / crappy tyres on!! It’s one of the most important things to purchase on a car, don’t you think?

Tyres and brakes, absolutely.

If you can get them in the size you need then take a look at Vredestein Sessanta or Vorti

I run them on my VXR and have had many sets now.

They are a massively underrated tyre and used on some big power cars..

Worth a look and they don't break the bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what it is,is when I used to ride mountain bikes you could get decent tyres that were not an elite brand but still performed very well so I was hoping there might have been a tyre where people said it was the really good but at a budget price.

I rated the sessanta on my a4, seemed to cope with 250bhp on the front wheels really well in the wet.

In fact I've still got 1 brand new one in 235/35r19 in the garage. Paid £120 for it, can have it for £50 posted if it's any good to you?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I ride MTB's. I know what you're saying, but it's bit of a different ball game.

It's not just about putting your foot down in the wet.
Don't forget your tyres are whats going to stop you smashing into the cnut that's just pulled out in front of you.

Likewise with MTB tyres. You can get really expensive tyres that won't perform well in certain conditions.

Des hated the Sessanta on his Evo X.

Yes. They were hopeless in the wet. Even with 4 wheel drive.

Vorti's are probably the better choice for the wet tbf they are slightly better rated for wet

I rated the sessanta on my a4, seemed to cope with 250bhp on the front wheels really well in the wet.

In fact I've still got 1 brand new one in 235/35r19 in the garage. Paid £120 for it, can have it for £50 posted if it's any good to you?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I have no issues with mine in the wet on my VXR. That's running 300bhp and 340lbs/ft of torque.

It's also got a RARB set on hard and on B14s so pretty stiff and that set up is relatively prone to lift off oversteer but I have no issues on Sessantas whatsoever

As the OP was asking cheaper good tyres these fall under that bracket. I'm sure they aren't as good as Michelin Pilot Super Sports and other premium brands but they aren't to be sniffed at for the price.

Plenty of M3s and TVRs running them with no probs at all and good reports in the past on them.

That’s the issue, there’s loads of good reports of lots of gash tyres on the internet.

That’s the issue, there’s loads of good reports of lots of gash tyres on the internet.

Come on though Chris. That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

They aren't gash. I've been through 4 sets of them on relatively well powered cars and they've had bags of grip in the wet and dry. Track days and fast road driving.

Have you directly compared them to something better? Des switched from them in his Evo to Michelin’s and says the difference was night and day. I’ve tried various tyres over the years, some supposedly good ones that I’ve removed shortly after fitting.

If you can get them in the size you need then take a look at Vredestein Sessanta or Vorti

I run them on my VXR and have had many sets now.

They are a massively underrated tyre and used on some big power cars..

Worth a look and they don't break the bank

Had the vortis on my fn2, they were recommended by a few fn2 owners and I was really impressed, they gripped well and for the price were a cracking tyre.
I remember the tyre fitters commenting on them, they said they're an excellent brand and surprised someone had heard of them as at the time they were pretty unknown in the uk.

For some reason though I don't want them on my fk2, I'm thinking that was 4-5 years ago and fine on a standard fn2.
I also decided when I purchased the car that I'm not going down the cheap road on anything,
They're a good tyre but I'm sticking with the assy 3s until something better comes along

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the vortis on my fn2, they were recommended by a few fn2 owners and I was really impressed, they gripped well and for the price were a cracking tyre.
I remember the tyre fitters commenting on them, they said they're an excellent brand and surprised someone had heard of them as at the time they were pretty unknown in the uk.

For some reason though I don't want them on my fk2, I'm thinking that was 4-5 years ago and fine on a standard fn2.
I also decided when I purchased the car that I'm not going down the cheap road on anything,
They're a good tyre but I'm sticking with the assy 3s until something better comes along

I think you'd be surprised at how good they are. Your FK2 and my VXR are similar ish power outputs so would probably be fine

It’s not just performance a cheap tyre lacks in. Wear rate, uneven wear, road noise are just some areas they suffer from compared to a premium tyre.
Lots of people rate Vredestein. But that’s because they’re a fantastic budget tyre compared to budget competitors and I think some users have never experienced a decent premium tyre.
I use Falken’s on my daily as they’re at the upper end of a budget tyre and they’re good enough for a daily and that’s it. Road noise is poor, the tyres wear unevenly (before you cry, wheel alignment is spot on) and they wear out pretty fast. But they’re only carting me to work and back so I can cope with it.
If you’re only using your type r for normal day to day driving then get something half decent. If you want to drive fast, get a better tyre.

If you’re only using your type r for normal day to day driving then get something half decent. If you want to drive fast, get a better tyre.

That's this entire thread summed up in one sentence.

edit: Two sentences :)

That's this entire thread summed up in one sentence.

edit: Two sentences :)
Close enough haha!

So what would folk here say are the better tyres to use?

There's always talk of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4/Super Sport. What else do those in the know recommend?

Back