• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Got my CTR Friday. My first thoughts and questions.

Hi,

as the title says, I finally picked up my FN2 CTR, absolutely loving it!!
looks stunning in black, par the stone chips at the front which got touched up but now looks like I've got dull black spots all over the bonnet, so a paint correction detail or respray will be in order one day.

Unfortunately, I too have the 3rd gear issue, being an 07 plate, so going to have to speak to honda to get this changed under warranty. (Got a standard 1 years warranty through honda and 12 months extended warranty for an extra cost, but peace of mind.)

I don't generally drive my cars hard, but I have had to vtec it, the sound is just amazing. My god!! Going from a mazda 3 to this is just phenomenal.

I have noticed a couple of things, the clutch feels soft, my other cars, you feel some force in the clutch, but this one is really soft. Is this just a perk of CTR?
i already know about the 3rd gear, I've read about alot on here.
My drivers side door handle is squeaky, not that it's a issue I don't think, just annoying. A spray of WD40 maybe??? What do you guys think?

other than these, a stunning car, awesome to drive and thoroughly happy with it.

Cheers.

I've not had a standard clutch for a couple of years, but I don't remember it being overly soft. Is the bite point OK? No squeaks during operation? Might just be worth asking the Honda tech's opinion when it goes in for the 3rd gear.

Try some WD on the door handle. The handles have been known to fail, outer cover breaking and also the mechanism giving way. Just keep an eye on it.

glad you enjoying your fn2 i have drove 3 off these including my own all have quite firm clutch pedal apart from they all creak or click espically when cold so get that checked if you are having 3rd checked dont hurt to ask

Well the motors gone into honda today to get the 3rd gear "looked at". Apparently they've never heard of this issue before.
having a feeling they would try to go down that road. If they do, I'll just show them that honda note that Loxy has put up previously. Failing that, I'll argue the toss that it's not acceptable after 2 days owning the car, there's a fault already. But hopefully it won't get to that stage.

Regarding the clutch, they've given me a 13plate 1.4 civic, the clutch feels the same on that also, compared to the mazda 3 I had, it's soft, but don't think anything out the ordinary. I know all cars are different so guess it's just a case of getting use too. I have noticed what seems like a creak at the very bottom. Could this be the cruise control switch?
Yeah the bite point seems fine Loxy, it's not overly high.

Just a quick update regarding my trip to honda today.
They can't see anything wrong with it at all. Which I find surprising coz the gear has crunched several times yesterday and this morning also. So all I can do now is take it away, monitor it for a few days and book to take the tech in it with me and see if I can replicate the problem. I've got 2 years warranty so plenty of time.

Ah well, was hoping for a simple resolution, but guess nothing is simple.
Just a question to anyone who has changed there clutch with an aftermarket one. Would this resolve it and any other potential clutch related issues (squeaks etc) or would the 3rd gear crunch still be there?
not that I'm thinking about doing it soon, but was just wondering. Cheers.

My wife has a Mazda 3, so i know what it's clutch feels like. I have to say my FN2 clutch is a lot stiffer. Just thought i'd throw my 2 pence worth in.

Alright cool, what year is your wife's mazda 3? I had a 05 plate, so not sure if various ages of cars makes much difference? Different age, different parts etc? I don't know, I'm just trying to gauge opinions and others thoughts.

Shes got a 11 plate. So newer then your old one. I'd say here clutch has more spring, but mine feels stiffer if thats understandable.

Yeah that's cool, cheers mate. I don't think there's anything wrong with the clutch as such, just that creak but could be the cruise control thingy. It's the 3rd gear issue, I'm just trying to resolve with honda, stating they never found a thing wrong. I'll just have try to replicate it to one of there techs now.

Thanks for your replies.

hope you get it sorted i am only in stowmarket so if you want pop down and have a little spin in mine and visa versa so you can compare no problem pm if you want

hope you get it sorted i am only in stowmarket so if you want pop down and have a little spin in mine and visa versa so you can compare no problem pm if you want

Cheers mate, appreciate it. I may take you up on your offer. The 3rd is the biggest issue. Trying to convince/show honda techs whats wrong as they can't find anything. I doesn't grind all the time but it's not a smooth engage into gear.

A quick question regarding the vtec. Do you feel a noticeable kick? The vtec light illuminates etc, but don't feel the kick as I did in my mates older shaped type R. Is that normal for this car? Don't get me wrong, it's still quick as and sounds awesome. But was expecting a bigger kick so to speak.

It's a subtle kick, but it's definitely there. Put it in 4th and boot it, (obviously on private land, as I dont condone speeding on public roads) you should feel it.

The VTEC is meant to kick in at 5500rpm right? I'm sure it's there, I may have not just felt it all the time, with the ride being crashy and that.

Cheers

mine used to kick in at 5200 which i think is normal on standard cars and yes you should notice change in engine note and pull harder light should come on dash as well when vtec is engaged ride is pretty rubbish on standard springs not that its really comfortable on better springs and fast road set up but a massive improvement

After market clutch wouldnt solve the third gear issue as its the teeth that get worn down.
I find with my fn2 when its cold ill maybe get annoyance with the 3rd but not often, if i feel its being a pain i just pop it out of gear then back in and its fine.
dont be brutal on it youd only make it worse tbh.

My clutch pedal is the only thing that bursts my head lol.. think i need to put grease on the joint as the pedals squeeky lol!

VTEC is funny on the fn2.. imo its how the cars been driven if its slow then you plant it youll hear it come on strong. but if your pacing at it.. then the VTECs all the way through so doesnt sound as loud i think. (may have worded it wrong, but in my head its right haha)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the reply guys. Appreciate it.
Shame about the after market clutch, was hoping to spend a bit of money on one and hopefully All's sorted.but I guess nothing is that simple. Haha.

As for the VTEC, yeah I think it's definitely there, can definitely hear the engine, which sounds amazing in my opinion. I'm guessing different types of oils etc would make a slight difference? I mean, the honda garage I went to buy the car from serviced it before I picked it up, few weeks ago, they apparently put 10w 40 part synthetic? As to why is beyond me coz even I know the CTR needs fully synthetic, and I know F all about honda's!
so was wondering if that makes a slight difference?
Going to get it changed to 5w 40 fully synthetic soon.

Anyone else's aux belt making a odd noise, a scratchy sound?

Scratchy sound is the pcv valve, really squeeze the small rubber pipe whilst on idle, its at the front coming off your manifold the noise will stop, people replace it and buy the kit from cox honda website.
Oil you want fuchs titan race 5w40, soft clutch and squeak sounds like your master cylinder has gone (very common) and as for the vtec keep accelerating and don't change till your rev needle is near 8000 you will definitely feel it keep kicking in and it sounds oooooh but watch 2nd gear acceleration as before you know it you've hit the limiter, caught me out a few times :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks dweezle, I'll change the oil once I'm back from Budapest.
As for the clutch, I'm going to go back to honda as I'm still in a warranty and hopefully they'll stump up with something this time. They weren't very forthcoming last time. Kept saying they can't notice a single thing wrong, it's perfect. Blah blah blah.
As I'd expect, but anyway, other than that, it is lovely. I'll change the pcv myself. Found the kit on cox honda so I'll do it myself.

Cheers

Remember you have to be foot to the floor to engage vtec, or you will just get vtec noise at 5400rpm...also try a kn panel filter, I didn't expect anything from a panel filter but vtec noise is better and vtec kick is slightly more noticeable, well worth £40. Some people have had 3rd gear issues sorted by a change of gearbox oil, see if Honda will change the oil for you...do a search on here as there's plenty that have had 3rd gear issues.

Back