• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Guide to fit DC5 Recaro's to EP3!

Right, so I've managed to fit these in my car. No great drama's, you just need to have the tools & parts available.

Tools:
round metalworking file
drill & small cylindrical grinding bit (optional) - if filing is too strenuous....there is quite a bit of material to remove!
socket set
threadlock, non-permanent

Parts:
the Recaro seats and runners!
M10 bolts, 60mm long - just need 2 of each
M10 washers, enough to make up a gap of about 25mm - so maybe about 12 each side so at least 30 to be safe you may need a few more if the bolt bottoms out.
As a revision of this, the actual original bolt may have a finer thread, but i found that with a little persuasion, the M10 will fit.

1) Remove the 4 bolts under the drivers seat
2) Detach the seatbelt wiring underneath
3) Remove the seat

4) On the DC5 runners, the 2 rear bolt holes have to be elongated. The vertical hole (near door) is to be filed (or ground) approx 3-4mm downwards (towards the floor).
5) The other rear bolt hole (horizontal) next to centre console is to be elongated backwards approx 5-6mm.
6) Offer up the seat in the fully pushed back postion, with the runners front showing. Insert the two bolts by hand.
7) Move seat forward. Check that the two rear tapped holes in floorpan are visible thru the holes you just enlarged. Try to insert the 2 bolts in those. If there's interference, you may need to manipulate the runner to get a free spin of the bolt. Otherwise remove the seat and file some more!
9) Connect the wiring underneath the seat.
10) Hand tighten the rear bolt near the door.
11) Under the rear runner hole near the centre console, insert your 25m (or so) spacer or however many washers it takes to support the runner above the floorpan. The other way would be to have a nylock nut ready, under the runner, so that when the bolt is screwed to the correct depth, the nut is tightened upwards and so sandwiching the runner frame! :cool:
12) Now insert and hand tighten the new 60mm long M10 bolt, have a single washer between the bolt head and runner. Apply some non-permanent threadlock to the bolt before it goes in.
13) Diagonally tighten all of the bolts using the socket and wrench.
14) Check and test that the seat moves correctly, is secure and that you can use the seatbelt.
15) Repeat all of the above for the other side! :lol:

Now enjoy your extremely supportive Recaro SR seats - a world away from the slack CTR standard seats, which are also quite a bit heavier! Oh yeah, height wise, you sit about 2-3inches lower. The headrest height is the same as the OEM CTR seat (facelift). :-D

b0808d2c.jpg

aee1a97c.jpg

e35dd872.jpg

Good little How To.....is that a chicken hanging from your mirror? :lol:

Does it feel weird sitting lower?

lol

its not a chicken haha its a rabbit wearing a kimono! I got it while in Tokyo a few years back....

Yes it did feel very weird (being lower) at first, and the visibilty is slightly reduced (over the bonnet), but I'm sure i'll get used to it

These seats are much better than the standard EP3 seats and I also prefer them to the 30AE/Premier Recaros.

Is it?! lol looks like it has a yellow beak, must be my eyes going bad staring at this screen all day.
Yeah it's one of those things, you will get used to it, sit back in an EP3 and you will think that you are really high lol

These seats are much better than the standard EP3 seats and I also prefer them to the 30AE/Premier Recaros.

I think so too, although people with a wider than normal butt would not fit in these! Good way to keep the mrs in trim! :lol:

Is it?! lol looks like it has a yellow beak, must be my eyes going bad staring at this screen all day.
Yeah it's one of those things, you will get used to it, sit back in an EP3 and you will think that you are really high lol

lol - that eyesight problem will be down to too many five-knuckle shuffles cos of one of those "sex bans" your mrs enforced on you.

I'll try to get a pic of the Rabbit for your gratification

lol - that eyesight problem will be down to too many five-knuckle shuffles cos of one of those "sex bans" your mrs enforced on you.

I'll try to get a pic of the Rabbit for your gratification

Haha thank you, I want to see this rabbit.

Those seats don't look too narrow, did you take any side by side pics of them to compare? And I swear I read that someone said the DC5 seats don't have the tilt function on them

...this rabbit looks like a transvestite donnie darko!! Now you're really curious aren't ya?! lol

I didnt take a pic of the CTR and ITR seats side by side, but, the Recaro side bolsters are definately tighter (as well as higher). I could feel the erm...pressure on my buttocks! lol

The seat backs do tilt using the lever behind, but they don't automatically slide forward - which apparently is what the 30AE and Premier seats are also like?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't ever seen donnie darko tbh with you mate, but I have seen some sort of outline of it case of this weird rabbit like object. But yes, I am very curious haha.

I used to love my old Recaros in my fiesa=ta, those bolsters were quite high incomparison to the standard CTR seats and when I sat in my mates RS turbo, I forgot how figure hugging they are. The way I have been driving atm though I could do with better support :lol:

Did you get them off fleabay?

? to put in an EP3?

As far as I know it, the DC5 rails are a better fit for the EP? The seats already came with DC5 rails, so it made sense just to mod them slightly

First post on the thread describes how to do it. DC5 seats with DC5 rails.

Back