• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help hand brake light keeps coming on when turning left

I hope that someone else has had this before but every time i turn on a round-a-bout my hand brake light keeps coming on.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it. Don't really want to go to Honda because they will charge me a arm and a leg and i am skint :(.

Thanks

No, it means you either need new brakes as the pads/discs have worn, causing the fluid level to drop, or you need to top up the fluid in the reservoir.

I have just changed the pads and i now need to change the dics. once i have done that will i need to then blead them

No, just top the fluid up, which is a strange requirement if you've just changed your pads?

Or did you remove some fluid / forget to remove the brake fluid reservoir top when you wound the pistons back?

I took the cap off when i wound the piston back. But the thing is that the brakes are working fine its just that the hand brake light is on all the time now.

I am going to take it to a workshop to get it checked out because I cant risk loosing my kids when they are in the car.

I took the cap off when i wound the piston back. But the thing is that the brakes are working fine its just that the hand brake light is on all the time now.

I am going to take it to a workshop to get it checked out because I cant risk loosing my kids when they are in the car.

Have you checked the fluid level yet?

Yes the fluid level is still full. I checked it last night and this morning before i came into the call center.

Have you checked the fluid level yet?

If you're going to ask for advise, then just take the car to a garage anyway then why ask the question in the first place?

When the fluid is low, the light illuminates, usually initially when cornering, accelerating or braking, basically anytime the fluid moves in the reservoir to expose the sensor. If the level then drops further the light will be illuminated all the time. Check this first before what could be a large garage bill claiming some other issue instead.

Did you see any leaking fluid when you changed the pads, could you have undone the brake line by mistake, could you have snagged the brake line which has caused a leak?

Garage 'could' say the issue is anything from leaking calipers, a leak in the hydraulic system, failure of master cylinder etc when all it might be is fluid level? Worth checking first??

Yes i checked it last night and this morning before i came to work.

Cool, well check for leaks etc especially around the area you were working.

It could be completely unrelated to what you were doing and could be the microswitch on the handbrake that's faulty, not too uncommon and can also display the symptoms you described.

Thanks for all the help. i will do everything that has been sugested before i take it to the garage.

Thanks

Back