• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HELP MY TYPE R ENGINE HAS BLEW UP rebuild or replace or tune???? !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright mate

Had the chain go on mine, first sign was when starting from cold there was a horrible rattleing\mechanical sound for a second then dissapeared which turned out to be the tensioner had gone causing chain slap. Honda diagnosed this for £35 including measuring the chain.

Hope you get yours sorted soon seems like a lot of these engines are going wrong, hondas just arn't what they used to be any more hehe

Alright mate

Had the chain go on mine, first sign was when starting from cold there was a horrible rattleing\mechanical sound for a second then dissapeared which turned out to be the tensioner had gone causing chain slap. Honda diagnosed this for £35 including measuring the chain.

Hope you get yours sorted soon seems like a lot of these engines are going wrong, hondas just arn't what they used to be any more hehe

Did your misfire at any point whilst warming up?

I dont get a rattle but Im slightly worried now :(

Hope you get yours sorted soon seems like a lot of these engines are going wrong,

I wouldn't say alot. Problems with the chain/tensioner are usually down to poor maintenance at some point in the cars life, if maintained properly they should last the life of the engine.

Sorry to hear this mate, good luck getting it put right! If you really are thinking of tuning then I'd say go for it but it will cost you a lot more in the end. If you're thinking of tuning it just because you may as well whilst it's broken, I'd get it all sorted out first then think of doing upgrades after.

I'd get a new engine dude

thanks mate

just thought id let u all know, i managed to get a type r engine off ebay for £1450 with 26000 on the clock. its being fitted at the mo about a day away from completion, ive also bought a new racing clutch, as the old one was about a month away from dieing, discoloured blue and no grooves left!! good thing this was checked while my car is in bits, i also found my origanal ehaust to be totally rusted, so i bought a full stainless system now, should sound nice with the k and n typhoon induction kit.---- the old engine is pretty much ruined but some parts are salvagable if anyone is interested?????
while iam spending money on it iam getting the original wheels resprayed gloss black, as my type r is red i think this will look good? i am alo tinting the back windows and investing in a carbon bonnet-- i will post pics when its ready, i cant wait.]
cheers kris

just got my ctr back, really chuffed with it, the mechanic says ive been lucky and got a strong engine, new clutch feels loads smother and the exhaust sounds mint.-- just waiting now to get the wheels respayed black with red calapers, machine polish the whole car and purchase a carbon bonnet- plus maybe tint the rear three windows. Should look like new-- pics to follow. cheers

just got my ctr back, really chuffed with it, the mechanic says ive been lucky and got a strong engine, new clutch feels loads smother and the exhaust sounds mint.-- just waiting now to get the wheels respayed black with red calapers, machine polish the whole car and purchase a carbon bonnet- plus maybe tint the rear three windows. Should look like new-- pics to follow. cheers
still waiting to see them pics .do you still own the car ? ive just got the same problem im looking for a engine

still waiting to see them pics .do you still own the car ? ive just got the same problem im looking for a engine

Could be waiting a while..

You are probably better off stripping any mods you have off the old car and just buying a new one for £3k, perhaps one with a FSH. For the sake of £1500 saving, it will be a ball ache finding a decent engine and then swapping it over.

Could be waiting a while..

You are probably better off stripping any mods you have off the old car and just buying a new one for £3k, perhaps one with a FSH. For the sake of £1500 saving, it will be a ball ache finding a decent engine and then swapping it over.

ended up getting a replacement engine , it cost me £1200 including the pickup from manchester to stafford . Disappointing that the engine had 80,000 miles and my original had 71,000 . But the new engine had uprated toda chain and brian crower stage 2 cams , plus lightweight flywheel and paddle clutch .
it drives much better than i can remember and purrs from the new camshaft .
the reason my old engine broke was (i know!! it wont happen again!!) no oil , the engine had less than a liter of oil in the sump . i cannot find any signs of leaks and the check oil light never came on .
its a lesson learned

Back