• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hi, I'm back - Type-R #5

So, yeah, as I mentioned in my previous post I picked up an FN2 this weekend.

The weather has been horrible so I haven't had an opportunity to grab any of my own pics but here are some from the advert.

8d071c_4c26b838a87e4c5cb47d52210f0501cb-mv2_zpsalayohe5.jpg

8d071c_ea320eca68904c19a36d77b00fbd58ab-mv2_zpsuuxbcxuw.jpg

8d071c_20881ea87faf412584a5ecf605f172cd-mv2_zpsyywdvac3.jpg

8d071c_6d7ad0e929d84c73aacf13786b7bd555-mv2_zpsxv2nfljl.jpg

It's a 59-plate 2009 GT model featuring the all important factory HID's, washers, USB port.

It's had 2-previous owners and is in excellent condition - I had viewed 4 prior to this (all of which were priced higher than this) and this was comfortably the best of them. As soon as I saw it, I knew I was looking at a clean car. Others had clips under the bonnet missing, panel gaps, fixes bodged, dents, severe stone-chipping and my favourite being the FSH that when examined and questioned is greeted with replies like: "I didn't service it for 20-months because it hadn't done the next 12,500 milles yet".

In addition to the condition, the paperwork is what drew me to this particular car. Talk about thorough! 60K warranted miles, meticulous service records, old MOT's, plate transfer documents, the whole shabang neatly presented in a document wallet. The car has had everything that has ever been required or recommended; from Honda warranty recalls (roof-seal) to sub-frame re-greasing... new brakes all round recently is a boon as was the amber nectar on the dipstick! The car, from the records and my initial hands-on experience, wants for nothing.

There are very few annoyances but those are basically attributable to age-related use, namely a few stone chips, a worn gear-knob and I suppose the wheels could be cleaner.

The interior is in excellent condition too. No scuffs or scratches or the massive turn off that is marks on the paintwork in the door sills and b-pillar areas (from people entering/exiting).

Aside that, I noticed a HKS Racing Suction Kit fitted - need to read up to find out if these are any good on the FN2 but it shall stay for now as it makes a lovely sound at crossover if nothing else. There were some upgraded tweeters and an amp mounted in the booted. I also noticed some rear-parking sensors; not a necessity but definitely nice to have.

The car's clearly been waxed recently as per the lovely beading on show this morning!

Very happy with how I did considering general values on the market against the price I paid. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, best colour too. :smt023

Has it had an aftermarket LSD fitted? '59s didn't have an LSD from the factory unless they are CW.

Very nice, best colour too. :smt023

Has it had an aftermarket LSD fitted? '59s didn't have an LSD from the factory unless they are CW.

Think you might be right actually :oops: - for some reason I thought the 2009 models with the HID's and USB also had the LSD, further reading on Civinfo leads me to believe it's the '10-plates.

I haven't pushed it because of the weather and I picked up late last night plus my commute is only 3-miles so I haven't had a chance to give it some.

The guide that I wrote over there? :lol:

No, not even just '10 plates.

It is only cars that were produced after the factory returned from shut down, so from and including April '10. So that isn't necessarily cars registered in or after March 2010 as there were quite a few sat around unregistered.

Unless it is CW or has had one fitted, a '59 plate won't have an LSD. USB and auto-levelling HIDs are worthwhile additions though.

The guide that I wrote over there? :lol:

No, not even just '10 plates.

It is only cars that were produced after the factory returned from shut down, so from and including April '10. So that isn't necessarily cars registered in or after March 2010 as there were quite a few sat around unregistered.

Unless it is CW or has had one fitted, a '59 plate won't have an LSD. USB and auto-levelling HIDs are worthwhile additions though.

Models I meant, not plates sorry - because I had a 2008 model on an 09 plate - 2010 model, not plate... sorry.

Yeah, various threads in which you have posted actually but post April 2010 cars are the LSD cars.

Yeah I don't think it will have an LSD then. :(

I didn't realise that they revised the 09 model to include the LSD. I thought the revisions were to the 08 (which I had) and resulted in HIDs, USB and LSD forming the 09 model. Definitely agree that the USB and HID's are worthy additions. I was gutted not to get those when I registered my 08 FN2 in July 09! :lol:

There wasn't a 10-plate within a reasonable distance, so I don't think I've missed out per say, but I won't lie that I thought the 09's included the LSD. Perhaps, if I was aware of this, it may have swayed my viewing but 10's didn't enter the fray for a combination of price/distance and, as per earlier posts, I struggled to find a decent CW too.

Thanks for clarifying that boss. Just means I'll have to try and bridge that void with a visual drop and a FRSU.

Edit: I'm going to have a read up anyway but have you got any opinions on the HKS RSK; always had open filters down as prone to heat-soak etc.

I had the RSK fitted to my FN2 and Loxy did too
It's the best bang for buck filter for the FN2 IMO.
You can buy a heat shield from Tegiwa if you want.

Word of warning, it seems Civinfo is now full of Fugen kitted cars and there are dozens of Seeker reps on the market

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

I had the RSK fitted to my FN2 and Loxy did too
It's the best bang for buck filter for the FN2 IMO.
You can buy a heat shield from Tegiwa if you want.

Word of warning, it seems Civinfo is now full of Fugen kitted cars and there are dozens of Seeker reps on the market

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

Ah! Cheers - so it's worth holding on to. Decent.

As for the Fugen and Seeker rep cars, it was inevitable as the price of the FN2 comes down. I'm kinda beyond that elitist BS though now. Seen some of the cars actually and I think they look very nice.

I'm not looking to really modify my car TBH. I shall certainly lower it on the ABP springs, tidy up the gear-knob, add a set of new mats so that the existing set can be used for wet weather. Otherwise, no, not much else I can think of.

Perhaps some wheels... but if that does happen it'll be some way off...

I think splitters, bodykits and all the rest of it are unnecessary - Honda made the best splitter kit for this IMO; the GP Kit which I'd love to add if and when I can locate a set! I don't even want the Grille badge and stickers, love the understated look.

Very nice! My pervious car was Alabaster Silver, Makes for an incredibly clean and sharp looking car IMO.

Sounds like you got a great example and as far I'm aware those RSK intake's make proven gains on the dyno.

As above, keep hold of the HKS. :)

You could always drop an Mfactory LSD in there. You might decide to change the synchros and clutch at some point, so worth while doing the LSD then. :smt023

Ed is spot on about the FN2 scene at the minute.

Thanks mate. I'm convinced that it is (clean) - buying these days is like a minefield. Some real dogs out there.

Yeah it definitely is.

Mine has a couple small bits that need sorting or just off but will get to that next year when I have the £££

As above, keep hold of the HKS. :)

You could always drop an Mfactory LSD in there. You might decide to change the synchros and clutch at some point, so worth while doing the LSD then. :smt023

Ed is spot on about the FN2 scene at the minute.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what I'll do - doesn't feel at all like she's in need of a clutch but with her sitting on 60K (one of the higher mileages, albeit not very high at all, I've bought in my time) I expect it's something I may end up having to tend to during ownership.

Yeah it definitely is.

Mine has a couple small bits that need sorting or just off but will get to that next year when I have the £££

For real.

You're an FN2 owner now?

Yeah, I think that's exactly what I'll do - doesn't feel at all like she's in need of a clutch but with her sitting on 60K (one of the higher mileages, albeit not very high at all, I've bought in my time) I expect it's something I may end up having to tend to during ownership.

For real.

You're an FN2 owner now?

Yeah. Picked up a CW FN2 a few months back. 59 plate and don't even think it's hit 35k yet.

Few blemishes but I just don't have the ££ to throw at it at the moment (just booked San Fran, LA & Vegas).

Want to go Spa next year and get a few bits sorted before then. Waiting until the MOT & service in November before anything is done though.

Purchases, there have been purchases!

I mentioned that there was very little wrong with motor - however one of those annoyances is the Gear-knob; it's not marked as you'd expect i.e usual wedding ring scratches, mine some how has turned black in a patch where you'd usually keep your thumb on the shifter, so I managed to snare an old scene favourite off Civinfo, a Skunk2 Weighted Shifter, for £35. These have shot up in price, have they not? They're close to £55 delivered now, new. Never paid that before.

In any case the example I've purchased basically looks new, comes with the box and the sticker too. Result.

Next up, it's a TypeRiter car isn't it so I've got to lower it ain't I? I'm not looking at coilovers or anything silly this time, I want a combination of looks and functionality so I have ordered some ABP Eibach 30mm Springs this morning. I think these provide the most aggressive looking drop short of going for coils whilst retaining day-to-day usability. Chuffed. They're en route to me too.

Lastly, similar to the gear-knob in that it's an age/wear related issue, albeit less of a concern, are the floor mats - afterall they're made for putting your feet on. Nevertheless it wouldn't be TRO if I didn't follow the trend of buying mats for my mats and so I've picked up a brand new set from Honda.

Will see how I get on... but I'm delighted that these additions will address the only real concerns I had.

Going forward I'd ideally like to get the Grand Prix splitter kit - tempted by the Grille badge but not so much the Type-R side-skirt decals.

Yeah. Picked up a CW FN2 a few months back. 59 plate and don't even think it's hit 35k yet.

Few blemishes but I just don't have the ££ to throw at it at the moment (just booked San Fran, LA & Vegas).

Want to go Spa next year and get a few bits sorted before then. Waiting until the MOT & service in November before anything is done though.

Ah. Baller status. Couldn't find a decent CW within reasonable price or distances while I was looking. Sounds like it's a decent project though. 35K is nothing.

That should be some trip man. San Fran, LA & Vegas.

Yeah. I'll get my new bits on, bide a bit of time, then probably look at the splitter kit - I kinda just like these FN2's clean and tidy... kinda OEM+ if you narhmean.

Welcome back to the fold.

You want a Mugen oil cap don't you? You know you do. So PM me and buy my old one off me. :)

Car looks decent in the photos! It is difficult to find decent examples of cars like the Type R these days!

Welcome back to the fold.

You want a Mugen oil cap don't you? You know you do. So PM me and buy my old one off me. :)

Cheers mate - gutted about your S2K; loved the way you had modded that. :(

As for the Oil cap? Is it up for sale in the FS section? I'll have a look, although I'm kinda steering clear of "modding" and focussing more on clean OEM+ spec.

I'll have a butcher's.

Back