• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 how many miles on a full tank

full tank

The trip computer tells me that i'll get around 320 miles on a full tank but in practice its around 270 since its now run in!

300-350 now that I have a 60 mile trip each day to work...

150-200 when I was working 6 miles from home.

I'm the same.
I get about 200-250 around town (mpg reading around 22)
And about 300-350 on long journeys (mpg reading around 32)

Not the best car to own with current petrol prices! Specially on V-power.

Hi Gang

Currently 600mls on the clock should be more unfortunatley work load keeping me from the car :(

I'm getting 31mpg in town the odd V-tec blip here and there :lol:
full tank covering 300 miles until fuel light comes on
still really pleased
Cheers
Cozzie

Fuel

Mines similar to yours cozzie, currently 700 miles on the clock and running it in but getting 32 average doing 40 mile round trip daily to work.

Had the odd daily blast on the i-vtec but not yet taken over 6500 revs

Also getting 42 average on the motorways / dual carriageways

I'm itching to open it up !! sod the cost, i bet it's worth it.;)

Your in for a surprise if you havnt gone above 6500rpm yet :eek:

V-tec will commence @ 7000rpm enjoy the ride :twisted:

Cheers
Cozzie

Mines similar to yours cozzie, currently 700 miles on the clock and running it in but getting 32 average doing 40 mile round trip daily to work.

Had the odd daily blast on the i-vtec but not yet taken over 6500 revs

Also getting 42 average on the motorways / dual carriageways

I'm itching to open it up !! sod the cost, i bet it's worth it.;)

Why not over 6500 yet?? there ready to V-tec the day you pick it up

They probably are but i wanted to run it in properly.

I have been to the i-VTEC level now and it's great.

There's nothing quite like it is there :D

They probably are but i wanted to run it in properly.

I have been to the i-VTEC level now and it's great.

There's nothing quite like it is there :D

There already run in matey :p thats what i mean, there ready to go from the start :twisted:

Why not over 6500 yet?? there ready to V-tec the day you pick it up

No they are not. Take a look at the quote below from the Civic Type R owners club, maybe this will make you realise that running a car in is necessary if you want it to run well and last. ;)

Copy of Quote,
Right at the end of the production line the cars have a small amount of petrol put in to them. They are started and driven onto a set of rollers like the ones you see when you have your MOT. The headlamps are checked/adjusted at this stage, then the car is revved (not to the red line) and the brakes tested.

The test track is approx 1.6km and used to be the runway for Supermarine Spitfire manufacturing. It consists of some variable textured tarmac a couple of s bends and a big roundabout at the bottom. The cars are warm prior to the test and are not usually cained on the first run, however on the return they are given a good work out through the gears and to the red line.

Someone mentioned the fume extraction on the production line, if i remember correctly they fit an exhaust filter to the pipe which filters particulates etc. if they are to be run for an extended (repair of FQA - Final Quality Analysis) period they have flexible extraction hoses to remove the fumes.

The units will be bench started/tested for approx 90 seconds (Takt) this cannot be construed as running in.

Jamziee, is your friend the engine plant of Assembly Frame manager?

I think it is worth considering that although the engine will free off and turnover more easily once run in, the process of running in is aimed at mating components and ensuring that the honing and grinding remains, this ensures that the oil can adhere to the metal ensuring a layer of oil separates the components. This ensures minimum friction/wear and maximised engine compression. It is not easy to damage the engine but if you run it hard constantly when new it may develop high spots where the metal components become smooth and can't retain the layer of oil essential to reduce friction and prevent seizure.

Speaking to my ex-colleagues at HUM there has been several instances of piston ring failure due to thrashing cold/new engines. You may get away with it you may not! Personally I don’t think it is worth the risk, treat it with respect when new and it will provide you with maximum performance consistently for a long time. It may also use less oil.

Post from someone who works at Honda

Last edited by a moderator:
A little quote from the Civic Type R owners club for you to read "sugarpuff" maybe this will make you realise that running a car in is necessary if you want it to run well and last. ;)

What you on about??? its run in all ready. Dont mean to sound funny or nothing but I work for Honda, and the engine is ready from the 1st mile.

What quote???

it's in the civic type R (2007 only) section titled - Bedding in

Guess i'm too cautious mate, it did no harm in my last.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's in the civic type R (2007 only) section titled - Bedding in

Guess i'm too cautious mate, it did no harm in my last.

Yeah it wont do no harm at all. Remeber, under the bonnet of your car is a engine from the biggest and most prob best engine manufacture in the world. these engines can handle a lot, and are designed for it, they loved to be revved. saying that, mine went bang thurs night and got hole in the block 39,500 miles ha ha that was due to oil pump failure though :p

After having my CTR GT (FN2) delivered, btw it was driver delivered from chesterfield - manchester, so around 80 miles and it started off on a full tank and when it arrived it said 320miles left in the tank, and he had averaged 32mpg, i was really impressed until i started to drive it :D LOL!!

I the gauge that indicates the amount of mileage left is very inaccurate.

I have never got more than 320miles out of a tank.

The problem with fuel economy is that driver input is always a critical issue!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back