• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 How much would you be willing to pay?

Not sure I see your point about depreciation either. Are you saying that if you buy a second hand RS4 for £30k then it will continue to lose a lot of its value or that they devalue heavily from new? If the latter then AFAIK this is true of all performance models isn't it, not just BMW and Audi?

Yes and no. One of the other cars on my shortlist was a 335i - £45k new, 2yrs on they're more like £25k. Over the same period, the FD2 has probably lost only about £5k.

It is an exception though, for a variety of reasons - FN2 values for example show similar big hits to the 335. Once you get past 4-5 years old it all slows down though.

I was talking to a couple of car dealers over Christmas and they said that Mk4 R32s are now worth more than they were a year ago when I bought mine. :confused:

As much as I like mine I didn't expect it to appreciate in value. :lol:

I can believe that, it's past its big depreciation hit; a peak in desirability, shortage of supply, general rise in used car prices and bingo. :twisted:

You're getting a lot more for your money (apart from the completely unimportant exclusivity) spending that much on an M3 or an RS4 though. Anything like £30k for a Civic Type-R is :lol:.

Not sure I see your point about depreciation either. Are you saying that if you buy a second hand RS4 for £30k then it will continue to lose a lot of its value or that they devalue heavily from new? If the latter then AFAIK this is true of all performance models isn't it, not just BMW and Audi?

Oh and I'm very sorry to hear that you have a low regard for me but I suppose it's my own fault since I own a German car and I am a nob. :(

Have you read the thread at all its on about the Mugen FD2 RR not a basic Civic Type R the Mugen has gone up in price by a lot not just a few hundred quid you think its laughable that someone would pay 35k for one of these cars but think it makes good sense to buy a second hand German car for the same money :confused:

And I did say most BMW and Audi drivers not all so if you feel your one of them then that's your problem But I should have added that this applies to there top end performance models not there shopping trolleys.
Where I live top end BMW's and Audi's seem to be the choice of car for the drug dealers and gangsters.

Unless I was seriously rich & had another modes of transport @ my disposal I could not spend 35-40K on a Civic regardless of what one it may be.

I must point out that I bought my car because my gf liked it :lol:

And by the way, I'm sure alot of us bought our cars because our girlfriend liked it, as i did too!

Sorry to seem harsh guys, but man the fudge up!!!!
Angela hated the DC5 & not a massive fan of the Clio, so what? She doesn't have to drive it or pay for it so she can fudge off.

Only one way to sum you so called guys up....

minge.gif

Unless I was seriously rich & had another modes of transport @ my disposal I could not spend 35-40K on a Civic regardless of what one it may be.

Sorry to seem harsh guys, but man the fudge up!!!!
Angela hated the DC5 & not a massive fan of the Clio, so what? She doesn't have to drive it or pay for it so she can fudge off.

Only one way to sum you so called guys up....

minge.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

I was torn between Astra turbo, 330ci and a Type R.

She just helped me to decide because she has allways liked them

Yes I have. Have you? If so then please show me where I said I was talking about a basic Civic Type-R? Or did I just say Civic Type-R (as in all of them) which the FD2 is, isn't it?

Its not just an FD2 though is it.

Tell me what, apart from the exclusivity, makes a Mugen FD2 RR worth that much more money? I can think of a lot of things that make an RS4 or M3 worth the extra over other models in the range, notably the engines and their respective power outputs. Can the same be said of the Mugen?

Mugen FD2 RR originally sold for 32k when it first appeared on these shores now its just sold for 40k I think this fact alone tells you its a better buy than a top end German car for the same money and the fact that it is so exclusive will make it hold its money better than any of the German offerings around the same price so if I was going to pay 35k for a car then common sense tells me the Mugen FD2 is a good buy. A car is worth what people are willing to pay and I don't see any other car in the same price range going up like the Mugen so which is better to spend 35k on unless money is no object ?

Yes you should. Otherwise it would be just as bad as saying that all Type-R drivers are blinkered.

Yeah sorry for that one sounded like I was generalising when that was not my intention.

In the words of a Ron Burgundy "Boy, that escalated quickly... " haha
I agree that the RR will hold its value if not gain in value for the next year or so - some people are just willing to pay 35k+ for a civic (?!?!?) - I think in terms of value for money - surely no-one on here would argue it's more of a car than an RS4 or M3 though??!

surely no-one on here would argue it's more of a car than an RS4 or M3 though??!

No of course not but it is a better buy if your not wanting to lose much money although the beamer and audi's will hold there money a lot better than other brands out there they are just as over priced as the Mugen RR when new.
I mean the RS4 around the same price as the Nissan GTR.

Let's put things into perspective:

You can buy a standard FD2 for circa 18-20k. Mugen RR is currently retailing (due to poor exchange rates more than anything else) at around 40k. Is there really 20k difference between the two? Also, if you were to chuck 20k at a standard FD2 could you do a better job than Mugen with the end result? Choice mods and getting the right people to tune it, I would say yes you most certainly could. In fact, you could probably produce something that would embarrass the German rivals if you went down the S/C or Turbo route.

Seems to me that those of us arguing for the civic being worth 40k are basing their argument on the fact that you'll cut your losses. Not logic for buying a car IMO.

Seems to me that those of us arguing for the civic being worth 40k are basing their argument on the fact that you'll cut your losses. Not logic for buying a car IMO.

Well maybe I'm not as rich as some of the people on this forum but if I was looking at spending this kind of money on a car I would have to look at the cars that would lose me the least over the course of my ownership the prospect of losing 10k or more would put me off most cars around this price for good reason I couldn't afford to lose that kind of money.
So if the Mugen will give you back what you paid for it then it has to be worth what you pay for it whether that be 40k or 20k if you was going to pay 40k and then once you came to sell it you would only get what it really is worth around 20k then obviously its not worth 40k but if the Mugen isn't worth 40k are any of the super cars worth there 100k+ price tag I think not no car is really worth that kind of money especially when the land of the rising sun can make a car as fast as any super car for a fraction of the price.

Well maybe I'm not as rich as some of the people on this forum but if I was looking at spending this kind of money on a car I would have to look at the cars that would lose me the least over the course of my ownership the prospect of losing 10k or more would put me off most cars around this price for good reason I couldn't afford to lose that kind of money.
So if the Mugen will give you back what you paid for it then it has to be worth what you pay for it whether that be 40k or 20k if you was going to pay 40k and then once you came to sell it you would only get what it really is worth around 20k then obviously its not worth 40k but if the Mugen isn't worth 40k are any of the super cars worth there 100k+ price tag I think not no car is really worth that kind of money especially when the land of the rising sun can make a car as fast as any super car for a fraction of the price.

You have a point. But let's be serious, if you're buying a 40k performance car, you're not doing it with the intention of saving cash.

That was a very good point from Hoodster and very well put too. I couldn't have said it any better.

To Shifty, I think that when i was deciding whether to buy the Mugen or not, money did play a big part of it. I mean i spent £22k on my FN2 when i bought it new back in 07 and now when i look at the market, my car is worth around £10k or even less actually! Now thats just throwing away £12k in just over two years! If i was to buy a Mugen i would be happy to know that whatever i pay for it, i will almost certainly get back when the time comes to sell. It's more like borrowing the car than buying the car! It just makes sense that way!

The only reason i could see why anyone wouldn't buy one, if they had the money, was that they could not live with having to keep it showroom condition to keep the value so high.

That was my only concern really, if i was going to be able to stick to my original intentions of not driving it too much and really pampering it silly!

I haven`t read the full post so forgive me but I noticed that you`ve lost over half the value of your FN2 in just over 2yrs...as a comparison,I think I could probably get about £13k for my 54 plate DC5 which has 24k miles on it and cost me £18,500...now with the RR being uber rare as some have said ,you`d surely lose very little over a period of 2 or 3 yrs but would still have the pleasure of owning one of the rarest cars in the UK and still get a very good return when you sold it..as a guess,if you`d paid £35k for it,I think you`d get £30k for it after 2yrs so it would cost you a lot less than owning an FN2

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, exactly how i see it too! But to be honest, to keep the Mugen's value up, you'd really have to keep it in very good condition throughout it's life.

Not many people would really be willing to buy such a rare car if it had blemishes on the dash, some wonky panels, and marked paintwork. The signs would just scare alot of buyers off in an instant. I myself would certainly be concerned about how the car was driven if i seen how bad the condition was!

Does anybody know about the FN2 Mugen? When they are up for sale, if not already. And final figures on performance and price.

Just to let anybody who is interested know, there is currently a new Mugen FD2 that just popped up on the market on Pistonheads! It's only asking for £31,995! Looks a real beauty! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1480779.htm

Real shame really, I put a deposit down for an S2000 the day before this came to my attention! As nice as this Mugen is though, I am still really looking forward to my new S2000!

Mugen anybody?!??

Back