• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to fit a J's Tsuchinoko intake kit to the EP3

I reckon this will be handy for those interested in this, especially since the instructions look like this...

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Now before I begin I have a list of people to thank

Firstly James @ touge for being a top chap and keeping me up to date with my purchase

and secondly to my helpers/camera men/fellow droolers :lol:

N3YL B
Orcrist
Markl

Cheers fellas!

Okay so first things first remove the front bumper, resist the urge to go for the carbon slab first!

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Now gently prise away the bumper from its mounts around the headlight/wing

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Voila! and heres one I made earlier a meshed rad grille, if you haven't done this already nows the time, its a worthwhile mod ;)

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

And now a sneaky test fit of the unsung hero of the kit

IMG_0051.jpg

Now we can take out the old airbox and old intake pipe, the ribbed pipe that goes to the throttle body can be left in place.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

Its a fair old beast!

IMG_0062.jpg

Now we can begin with the new shiny bits

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Important in the pic above the washer is from the oem airbox, but dont place it like in the pic, put the bracket in first then the oem washer and then the nut, as you will see in the finished pics my airbox sat a little high on the right hand side because of this error so I had to move it aftre taking the pics.

IMG_0067.jpg

place a locking nut under this bolt above as it will stop it undoing itself like the Gruppe M

IMG_0072.jpg

above. using the longest black piece of foam go around the airbox hole that links to the oem pipe>throttle body

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

above. fit the airbox and use mount the "whale penis" style pipe through the airbox and into the oem hose, it will only go so far.

**INTERMISSION**

IMG_0075.jpg

**INTERMISSION**

Now for the filter

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Slide it over just enough so you can tighten the jubilee clip over the bracket to help keep it in place (stops you getting a droopy whale penis)

Now to get the lid on you need to push half of the black breather pipe into the top, the other half gets covered in togawa's finest garden hose which in turn joins the rocker cover, this needs to be cut to length, measure twice cut once!

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Okay so now before the final fit put those jubilee clips on!

IMG_0094.jpg

If you have long enough arms you can reach under the back of the airbox from the rocker cover to fit the back allen headed bolts to secure the lid, or if you prefer you can get to them through the wheel arch

IMG_0096.jpg

Okay so now onto the front scoop, first secure it using the oem rad stay bolt

IMG_0099.jpg

and then mark the holes you will need to make (3 in total)

IMG_0101.jpg

Drill and then screw in place

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

A little bit of trimming is needed to fit on a facelift ctr

IMG_0119.jpg

Finally refit the bumper stand back and admire!

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Thanks for reading! Hope you find it useful :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic guide Murph, especially seeing as I've got one of these floating it's way to me from Japan as we speak :D nice to know in advance that I'm going to have to remove the bumper, as would have sucked getting all excited and then realising halfway through, so thank you for saving me the headache!

Nice how to, the intake looks good!!

Just a couple of questions,
Anyone got any figures for this? (bhp increase etc)
Also what does it sound like?
and finaly where did you buy it from and what was the cost like?

I got Sumo Power to import mine for me, got a good deal from them as bought quite a few bits together. Due to the crap Sterling the price tends to fluctuate alot, they've gone for over £1500 at some points apparently! :O but I paid £920 for mine as part of a package :D just waiting for it all to arrive now, woohoo!

Nice how to, the intake looks good!!

Just a couple of questions,
Anyone got any figures for this? (bhp increase etc)
Also what does it sound like?
and finaly where did you buy it from and what was the cost like?

Hey fella! I have'nt got any dyno figures from it yet, im waiting to get hold a manifold then see how it compares to my old setup, from owning a GruppeM the noise is a lot let noticeable and to me it feels no different power/smooth ness wise of course this could all be in my head :eek:

I got mine from James at Touge distribution on here for £750 last month when the yen was @155, took around a month to get here, which is excellent, the only hold up was at J's :rolleyes:

Nymph if you need any more help/advice when you get your kit feel free to drop me a pm ;)

Hi Murph, thanks for that, I'll bare that in mind if I get stuck :) and £750? only £170 cheaper than mine then :S d'oh.. Oh well, too late now and I'm too excited to care that much :D

great how to guide, was just browsing the section and thought i would have a peep.
bugger me its alot of money, does look good and seems like a good competitor to the gruppe m

Beautiful installation and engine bay, mate!

I'm also curious about the gains that this offers, but I still don't think that I'll be paying that much for an intake....unless its proven to be a really significant gain!
Good luck to you though! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine on, it makes a very subtle noise not as loud as GM ones that I have seen videos of. Great for me though as I didnt want a loud induction noise. Exhaust tones FTW.

Back