• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to remove seat covers, Civic EP3.

Griffin

Banned for being a tit
This is one of the most tedious jobs i have ever carried out on my EP3, do not attempt this unless you have heaps of patience and fingers made of carbon fibre :lol:

this is very picture heavy thread as there are so many steps to remove the covers :evil:.

so here goes.

locate and remove 4x bolts that attach the seat rails to the floor.

Photo0203.jpg

remove seat from car, get yourself comfortable.

Photo0206.jpg

remove the lever handle, it pulls off.

Photo0210.jpg

remove the 2x retaining plastic plugs from both base trim parts at the rear of the seat.

Photo0209.jpg

Photo0217.jpg

the plastic base trims are held in place with steel retaining clips (same as the dashboard clips) and are removed with a good tug.

Photo0218.jpg

Photo0212.jpg

Photo0211.jpg

the cable with the luminous end needs to be unclipped from its holder, the barrel on the end is very fiddly. this can now be slipped from were it is fed through the upper seat cover.

Photo0214.jpg

Photo0215.jpg

Photo0207.jpg

the cable tie will need removing, and the small white clip needs unclipping.

Photo0216.jpg

Photo0213.jpg

the top and bottom cover are attached to each other with u-shape plastic clips, these unhook from each other.

Photo0219.jpg

the 2x zips on the rear can be unzipped and the rear of the seat is exposed.

Photo0220.jpg

the 2x white clips need unhooking from the springs, all the loose material can now be stuffed through the base of the seat through to the front side.

Photo0222.jpg

Photo0223.jpg

there are many springs that need removing located around the sewing seams that go through the foam and attach to the springs at the rear, be careful not to stress these to much.

Photo0224.jpg

Photo0225.jpg

Photo0226.jpg

Photo0227.jpg

there are also copper retaining hoops attaching the cover to the foam, long nose pliers are a must for removing these.

Photo0243.jpg

Photo0229.jpg

Photo0230.jpg

The red hoop at the top of the seat have clips that clip them together, a flat head screwdriver is needed to pry the clips apart, this can now be removed.

Photo0231.jpg

Photo0232.jpg

the top cover can now be removed.

Photo0233.jpg

the bottom cover has 10x plastic clips around its perimeter that need removing.

Photo0234.jpg

Photo0235.jpg

Photo0236.jpg

Photo0239.jpg

same as before the loose material at the rear can be stuffed through the gap to the front side.

Photo0240.jpg

There are a dozen or so copper hoops that need removing from the bottom cover.

Photo0243.jpg

Photo0241.jpg

The bottom cover can now be removed and washed :)

Photo0244.jpg

Photo0245.jpg

reinstall in reverse order to removal, i will update with clean covers as they are being spun at 1500rpm ATM :lol: sorry for some of the blurry pictures.

I did all that once when I swapped to face lift covers, never again!

No wonder Honda dealers charge £400 for the job.

drying at the moment in the living room as it's raining. but are looking fresh, the red stitching is bright and most of the stain has been removed but a 2p sized spot. i may have to get the steam cleaner out. i will update tomorrow 'hopefully' :lol:

thats one hell of a how to, could do with cleaning mine but didnt expect there to be so much work involved in it. Well done bud :smt023

:lol:

Probably worth doing if you have the patience, especially the facelift seats with the red and black.

I will use the AG interior shampoo or a steam cleaner if I ever need to clean them :lol: I was contemplating a new seat cover but I would rather new seats than fook about like this lol. Massive respect to Griffin for going in at the deep end.

I was thinking last night I hope they havent shrunk in the wash :lol:

No mate but you know what us lads are like with washing mashines, just doesnt seem to come out right haha

lol, I thought there was some well known fact that the seat covers shrink in the wash :lol:, my washing machine skills are pretty poor but luckily and for once i took notice of what settings i was turning the knob to.

top ones are back on now and looking clean and bright, bottom one has had a fabric soap applied and a thorough steaming to remove the remainder of the stain but will be back on soon :).

I did try a few foam cleaners but nothing was shifting the stain and to tell the truth when i first started taking the covers off i though " this is going to be sooo easy, all i have to do is unzip the 2 zips and pull the covers off", hours later i was eating humble pie :lol:

Woah - that is some effort. Good work and thanks for the guide.

How long did it take to get it back on?

Woah - that is some effort. Good work and thanks for the guide.

How long did it take to get it back on?

about 30 minutes. taking them off was a mission because i had no idea how it came apart, head scratching and gently prying parts figuring out how they attach. putting back together was like i had done it 10x over. i'm pleased with the results as it was something that was really bugging me.

Actually came across this website looking for a how-to on exactly how to do this. Bought an 2001 EP3 a fortnight ago with some major scuff marks on the base of the drivers seat. Found a new (and fantastic condition) replacement on eBay for £32 delivered and myself and a good friend (now with a few minor scratches on his knuckles) managed to get this off and replaced in about 2 hours thanks to this guide! Was indeed a ballache but with two people the job was made much much easier (one person to steady the copper hoops whilst the other squeezes them open).

So thank you very much for the guide, made the interior look a million times better :)

Nice Post Griffin and Respect to your washing machine skills! If I done this they would most probably be fit for a Hot wheels Car! :D

Back