• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How would you spend £1k on your type r

Posted this on civic type r oc and thought id see what your views would be as can never have enough good advice ;)

So as title suggests really if you had £1k to spend on your type r how would you spend it i.e what would i get the most benefit from as hopefully end of jan/beginning of feb (all going well) should have around £1k to spend to enhance the car. I have already got a mugen airbox, rsr backbox and a carbon fibre bonnet waiting to go on the car (been collecting random parts :D)

Kpro and Gruppe M. They are the two big purchases that you need for your car. Everything else can be bought as and when, but in comparrison won't be as expensive.

Kpro and Gruppe M. They are the two big purchases that you need for your car. Everything else can be bought as and when, but in comparison won't be as expensive.

As per his other thread, he hasn't had FRS done yet, that would be first on my agenda.

tbh i loved the sound of the rsr back box and already have plans to get a silenced b pipe thus making it a full system and have already been looking at getting maybe a piper manifold and sports cat to go with it as tbh if i was to go with the kpro idea i would wait a month or so longer and get the full exhaust before hand as dnt see the point in getting it mapped standard and then mapped a bit later for the exhaust parts..

As for the mugen airbox ive heard alot of conflicting views on them but i got it for £200 which i thought was a good deal at the time so snapped it up but since then have heard nothing but 100% reviews about the gruppe m so if i caould get my £200 back for it id gladly upgrade to a gruppe m but cant really afford to take a loss on the mugen im afraid..

Thanks for the advice much appreciated tbh it was what i was expecting the other day untill everyone said kpro kpro kpro lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was to get another standard civic my first mod would be k-pro FTW, then the hondata modded airbox and a fast road setup then save utill I could get a full system and a new inlet manifold

As per his other thread, he hasn't had FRS done yet, that would be first on my agenda.

If I had a grand lying about as spare cash, I would buy the expensive things first. Wouldn't necessarily be best for the car, but who has 1k knocking about all of the time?

The amount of people on here who go for second best because they can't/don't want to save up speaks volumes. If you've got the readies available, get them bought.

I understand what you're saying Stu and TBH the FRSU should be the first port of call, but it's relatively inexspensive when compared to a Gruppe M (with the current exchange rate) and/or Kpro.

Relativity expensive or not, a FRSU and a short-shifter will help you to make 'more progress' on the road then a Gruppe M.

So £ for £ I'll stick with mine and Stu's suggestions.

Just my 10p......

EDIT- You could get a GM with the change anyhow.

a toda manifold, thats about a grand now or a toda catback which come`s to about a grand, or kpro which might be slightly over.

£1000 is merely a stepping stone, but as there is no point in mapping the car until you have all the mods required for maximum benefit, I would buy a Gruppe M for 400, decent catback for 400/500, save for a decent mani for 250-400, then another save for 700 to buy a K-pro. All used prices.

Oh believe me im under no delusions that £1k will get me the world i understand that it is just a step in the right direction as have heavily modified my last 3 cars which have cost me an absolute fortune but i have also wasted alot of money just by going strait in chucking money at them without sitting back and trying to plan a route to take.. But time goes on and still want to make a mark on the car but dont want to spend the earth this time round so want to spend the pennies wisely :)

A question on the exhaust front though as said i have a rsr backbox that im planning to match to a spoon b pipe (as dnt want a really loud exhaust) so therefore have a cat back system, now i was thinking that would give me a decent jap cat back system i.e as good as say a spoon? or am i barking up the wrong tree lol.. + and as said am looking into changing the mugen air box and upgrading to a gruppe m if pos

Yeah that's a good performing exhaust system, the Spoon b-pipe will release a few horses, and the RSR is a great sounding 'box and less restrictive than the OEM 'box.

I would go for a decent suspension set-up myself. I think that would be the biggest improvement for a grand.

My first grand went on the following:

ITG Maxogen: 375

Ferrodo Break Pads Front + Rear: 160

Spoon Pro Springs: 250

D2 camber arms set up rear: 80

SPC front camber bolt set: 20

New Excedy clutch kit: 140

Soon i will fit the mods together with a Fast Road Set up.

Also purchased the RM01A cat back

Back