• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email
Right, after the initial delight of taking delivery of my Nighthawk Black Honda Civic Type-R GT - I have had it, upto here *wherever here is* with my bug riddled, fault plagued, only good for it's gearbox and engine combo, car.

In exactly 4-months and 1 days of ownership, encompassing 2,487miles only - I've decided that I'm going to speak to my dealership manager about chopping her in for an EP3.

I so don't want to, but 4 warranty claims, 4 further visits for bugs that have just been brushed off - and general motoring hassle, I have to do it. Of the 2,487miles suffice to say at least a tank has been spent back and forthing to the dealers :fedup:

Oh really, that's a shame to hear mate. What faults have happened? Like engine management lights and stuff like that? Strange to hear that a honda is going wrong.

Oh really, that's a shame to hear mate. What faults have happened? Like engine management lights and stuff like that? Strange to hear that a honda is going wrong.

Trim rattles, trim peeling, clutch pedal, master cylinder.. It's just not the hassle-free motoring I was after..

Oh, that's not good. You set on getting a civic again then, or can't you be tempted by the DC5?

Tbh mate, you could just have a one off as I haven't heard anything bad about the new ones, apart from Clarkson who don't like them lol.

Oh, that's not good. You set on getting a civic again then, or can't you be tempted by the DC5?

Tbh mate, you could just have a one off as I haven't heard anything bad about the new ones, apart from Clarkson who don't like them lol.

Thing is I'm trying to use the fact that I have bought two cars from my Honda dealer as weight to try and ensure that I don't take a massive cut on my current CTR.

Otherwise I would have DC2'ed it privately or from another trade outlet.

What do you guys think of the following

FSH, 05 Cosmic, 30k-ish miles, 2 owners?

I wouldnt say that was bad it had two owners. Not at all it is a 4 year old car now and 30k is still low mileage.

Sorry to hear about the FN2. Shame that , good luck with a replacement.

My FN2 does all of the above too!
I like that the rattles & squeaks come from a different place every day. I reckon the car is alive and does this to make you look a complete nob when you take it Honda to complain!

But my Honda chaps are great and usually sort everything out for me without any worry.
To date (had it since feb last year - brand new) I have had the following problems:

- Clutch master cylinder .
- Clutch pedal assembly.
- Electric mirror packed up.
- Temp gauge sensor went nuts and only read 55deg.
- All discs and pads shot after 20k.
- Whoever did the valet before I collected it left some sort of film on the paint that reacted.
- Rear quarter touch up, whoever fitted the boot lid chipped the paint when they closed it.
- Need front end respray, because the paint is a thin as p*ss.
- Wheel balance weights keep coming off the standard rims that I use in the winter.
- Driver inner door handle trim was replaced as it kept falling off.
- 3 separate squeak/rattle jobs.
- Problem with the cd player, you drive for an hour, take the cd out and get 3rd degree burns as its sooooo forking hot
- Same problem with the cd player occurs with the satnav disc drive in the glove box, so anything in the glove box is cooked medium/rare.
- 1 knackered windscreen washer jet
- Crappy fitting bodykit (side skirt does not sit flush with rear arch)
- Open your driver door, lift back the rubber seal at the top of the door, behold the rust because of unpainted bare metal!

Thats about it for now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an EP3 new in 2003;

Warranty work I had done on it in the first 2 years;

Clicky indicator stalk fixed twice
Both headlights replaced after the motors died
All 4 wheels replaced for blistering paint
Rear suspension arm replaced due to eating rear tyres
Two areas of rust repaired

Never got this fixed but I couldn't get 2nd gear in freezing weather until the engine warmed up.

I still loved it though.

So an '05 with two owners isn't all bad I wouldn't worry about that.

Not at all, I'm the 3rd owner of my FN2 and it's only 18 months old! :lol: It's an ex-demo and the guy who had it before me only kept it for 7 months, but it was too expensive for him to run....

I'm quite surprised with the list of faults that people have had corrected on their civic's :eek:

They're built in the UK so it's not surprising at all.

Drafted this - opinions please guys, if you don't mind

Dear Mr Manager,

Re: Nighthawk Black Honda Civic Type-R GT, LR09 XXX

Further to our conversation this morning I am writing to express my utter disappointment at the issues concerning my, newly acquired, Honda Civic Type-R GT.

My 2009 ‘Nighthawk Black’, Honda Civic Type-R GT, registration ‘LR09 XXX’ was collected on 20/5/09 from your dealership. Since then I have experienced numerous faults with the car – listed below, which have resulted in several return trips to the dealership.

• Clutch Master Cylinder
• Intrusive Rattles & Squeaks
• Window Runners/Channels
• Clutch Pedal Block
• Unwelcome warmth emanating from the drivers footwell/heatshields

Whilst I can wholeheartedly understand that every effort has been made by your engineers to rectify the faults associated with this car, via various warranty claims, I am still, unfortunately, unsatisfied with the level of remedial work that has taken place. Initially the problems are eradicated, but return within a week of rectification - to my displeasure.

I believe today is the third occasion on which I have left the car in the custodianship of your technicians to resolve an actual warranty claim. These visits are in addition to the four other occasions on which I have visited; to highlight the faults and book the car in with the service desk. I personally feel that seven visits in four months for faults on a brand new car worth circa £20,000 is unacceptable, which coupled with the impact on my resources, time consumed, and inconvenience endured, has severely dented my confidence in Honda.

Whilst the car comes with a 3-year warranty, you will appreciate that this does not compensate or extend to the resources I am expending, and the sheer inconvenience of each episode.

Through our conversation, I somewhat naively suggested that part-exchanging my current car for an older car was an option I was willing to consider. However, on reflection, I am not prepared to initiate any such transaction - even moreso given the risk of further financial loss I could experience, when it has to be said, is down to no fault of my own, and thus urge you to assist in providing an alternative solution.

I would be very keen to hear your thoughts on my correspondence, and anticipate a prompt, obliging resolution to my motoring plight.

Best regards,

TypeRiter

Last edited by a moderator:
Through our conversation, I somewhat naively suggested that part-exchanging my current car for an older car was an option I was willing to consider. However, on reflection, I am not prepared to initiate any such transaction - even moreso given the risk of further financial loss I could experience, when it has to be said, is down to no fault of my own, and thus urge you to assist in providing an alternative solution.

I would be very keen to hear your thoughts on my correspondence, and anticipate a prompt, obliging resolution to my motoring plight.

Tweaked the last para - approve?

I wanna highlight that it should not be me initiating a solution it should be them.

If you're that bothered about rattles then don't buy an EP3, they're no different. Although neither them or the FN2 are bad.

Back