• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

JDM EP3 Pre Face Lift v.s JDM EP3 Face Lift

Ive looked everywhere for this post but I do not believe it has been answered yet.

I know with the UK versions there are thousands of differences, eg sound proofing, lights, seats, lighter flywheel etc.

However I would like to know what differences there are with both the pre JDM EP3 facelift and the 04 JDM facelift.

Im more interested to know about the differences that effect the performance. Does the pre 04 and 04 facelift JDM both share the same lightened flywheel or do they both come with different ones like with the UK pre 04 and 04 spec?

Also are there any differences in weight?

The facelift is basically spec'ed like the Premier is here IIRC, it comes in Champ White though and possibly Milano Red, and Satin Silver (like the Pre-facelift JDM's) - Unlike our UKDM Prems, the JDM comes with the 220bhp K20, and Slip diff - like the Pre-face JDM.

There are no Red Recaro's, like the Anni's/JDM.

I believe that the JDM facelift comes with the known 'Facelift' changes (Lightened Flywheel etc.).

There was a light-weight JDM pre-facelift version - I'm not sure about the face-lift.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what I mean, I'm sure. :)

It has the 'up on power' K20 - which is often banded about as having circa 220bhp.

Pre-face, C/W JDM's, look better for some reason, IMO, than the Facelift. I don't know why - but Facelift's just don't look as cool in C/W. Weird, as I'm a face-lift fan in general, and in any other colour think that they look cooler than Pre-face. Lip's change this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
216bhp not 220.

The DC5 is 220 due to a different ECU and manifold.

if your getting picky im pretty sure its 216ps equal to about 212bhp? correct me if im wrong though.

oh and yerr a facelift JDM is basically a premier edition (the same as preface is same as 30th anniversary) with the lsd and engine spec. oh and champ white colour option.

oh and all JDM engines had lightened flys as the facelift UK ep3 :)...

JDM EP3 and the DC5 have the same manifold.

I did think this actually after I posted my above statement. Either way, for some reason, Honda squeezed a couple extra bhp out of the DC5 set up even though they both have the same engine and compression ratios etc. I believe it was because the DC5 was considered the flagship model at the time.

216bhp not 220.

The DC5 is 220 due to a different ECU and manifold.

blurting out an answer without confirming figures with research first FTL.

JDM EP3 = Maximum power 214.9 PS (212.0 bhp) (158.1 kW)
@ 8000 rpm

DC5 = Maximum power 219 PS (216.0 bhp) (161.1 kW)
@ 8000 rpm

I did think this actually after I posted my above statement. Either way, for some reason, Honda squeezed a couple extra bhp out of the DC5 set up even though they both have the same engine and compression ratios etc. I believe it was because the DC5 was considered the flagship model at the time.

As mad as it seems some of it could be down to the B-pipe as the DC5 one has a larger bore.

Ok cool, so from what you guys are saying then all JDM EP3s regardless weather they were face lift or preface lift had exactly the same engine spec including lightened flywheel?

One other thing I read somewhere that the facelift JDM was 0.2 secs quicker to 60mph than the pre face lift JDM, does anyone know why if they share exactly the same engine spec?

One other thing I read somewhere that the facelift JDM was 0.2 secs quicker to 60mph than the pre face lift JDM, does anyone know why if they share exactly the same engine spec?

Do you have a link to the article?

I would suggest it was down to inaccurate timing or driver error rather than differences in the car.

Narr this was on UK spec cars (facelift having lighter flywheel). JDM spec have the same engine with same flywheel regardless.

To be honest if you are debating which to get, go for the facelift, it'll be newer so hopefully less issues and in the UK it'll be a lot more exclusive than the pre-facelift.

IMHO facelift JDM looks much better, I think we're just used to seeing the pre-facelift ones.

Facelift JDM with a Mugen grill is very :cool:

This is the spec I found about the EP3:

0-60 mph in 6.4/6.4 seconds (JDM/EDM pre-FL), 6.2/6.4 secs (JDM/EDM FL) 0-100 mph in 15.1/16 secs (JDM/EDM FL) Top speed 112 mph (180 km/h) and 146 mph (235 km/h) (JDM/EDM both)

The problem with Wiki is that they base all of their information on things provided by external parties with little research from themselves (so I was told at school) which is why we could never use it as a website for gaining information.
Although I'm not saying that everything is incorrect but you have to take it with a pinch of salt and not gospel.

Back