• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20a in a MG-TF, British Style, Jap Power!

Greenstuff pads are for cars rated less than 200bhp. I would no way use them for a 300bhp car....

http://www.ukmgparts.com/

^^ My brother works here and I know they have type R parts laying around and last time I sokpe to them 3 K20a2's ;) so try giving them a call. They are fixing my car for me at the mo.

Greenstuff pads are for cars rated less than 200bhp. I would no way use them for a 300bhp car....

http://www.ukmgparts.com/

^^ My brother works here and I know they have type R parts laying around and last time I sokpe to them 3 K20a2's ;) so try giving them a call. They are fixing my car for me at the mo.

Ah i didnt realise, i was sure the green stuffs for the 4 pot APs were rated higher, back to the drawing board lol not that there is any rush i have alot more to do first

if i hear of any other nutter who wants a K20a2 i'll give them the address mate, i've got my engine sorted :cool: the specs are earlier in the thread, i just need a gearbox and ECU now! lol

There's a couple of Kpros for sale in the For Sale section, I think one of them doesn't need the replacement ECU either....grab a bargain :lol:

I keep checking mate, but buying the engine has spent me up, as you can imagine all thoes shiny bits wern't cheap! the same mate i got the engine through can probably get me a K-Pro very cheap :) still need a Gearbox as well, but i have other places to spend the money on the car atm, thats why im having to leave the conversion until the winter at least

That's fair enough mate. Yeah I can imagine this is going to cost a hell of alot of money :lol: what are driving round in whilst your MG is in bits?

Just using the Rover engine in it atm, the conversion will be built on a new subframe and the car will be prepped with GAZ coilovers and better breaks before the engine goes in... the idea is to take less than a week to actually put the engine in and in that week i'll be cruzin in my mums ultra switch 1.0 matiz! lol

my budget for the whole lot is £15k but thats buying the car... full leather interior including leathering my Corbeau Bucket seats... the breaks... the suspension... the engine, gearbox, ecu and in car pc install (running K-Pro as well as a laptop for DVD player :) ) paint job, under car and engine bay lighting etc etc... in the end im hoping for a show winning car that can smoke a porsche 911 and cost me sub 20k :)

You are crazy mate :lol: but seriously keep on it. Alot of people on here including myself would love to see something like this. 15k budget is alot, I bet the subframe fabrication will cost shed loads.

One thing I dont like the idea of is the under car and engine bay lighting, might be because I have outgrown the novelty of neons, but I think it may ruin the car.

im not convinced on the neons... well LEDs to be honest, may keep the engine bay lighting idea but ditch the under car

i've revised the colour scheme as well, looking at maybe pearl white on the outside with red roof, red calipers, black wheels, and red leather interior...... type R colours ;)

£15 sounds a fortune and it is but i'm looking at 911 performance for mondao money :)

Any updates adam ol' chap?

Sadly not, the engine has cotton wool in the bores until i can save another £3000.00 :( still need an ECU and a gearbox, not to mention a donor subframe and suspension/ performance tweaks

good news is i've found a company that will build me a custom set of break calipers for the rear (4 pots) and front (6 pots) sp there's another 2 grand gone... good job i don't drink! lol

incase everyone hasn't guessed Figo is the only guy in the country with a K20a in his TF :D

Sadly not, the engine has cotton wool in the bores until i can save another £3000.00 :( still need an ECU and a gearbox, not to mention a donor subframe and suspension/ performance tweaks

good news is i've found a company that will build me a custom set of break calipers for the rear (4 pots) and front (6 pots) sp there's another 2 grand gone... good job i don't drink! lol

incase everyone hasn't guessed Figo is the only guy in the country with a K20a in his TF :D

A lot of work (more to the point money) needed for this project Adam - I don't know if I'd have the staying power to stick at it. Commanding a lot of wedge, indeed - the engine spec sounds awesome (the one you secured via that gentlemans agreement :lol:)

Regarding Figo: Ah, I see - which is why I was struggling to identify the bay lay-out, from the pic he posted in the 'Engine Bay' section. It didn't look EP3 to me.

Do you have any other pics Figo? of your car and your set-up? Power figures, build list/spec etc. etc. - would be interested to have a read. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: sorry for the Hijack Adam

I bought a car that had been converted before, it was an old MGF and was basically a test mule for a company down south that dealt with tunning MG's.

Orginally I had hoped it would be a straight swap over and that the test mule car would be 100% but I was very much wrong and so started the Saga of my Conversion.. :evil:

Ill attatch some pics to explain my umm... dismay shall I call it once I started stripping the test car.

As you can see once I got the Engine out this so called maticulously cared for engine looked like hell on a plate. The wiring was done so strangely and even included 3 core housing cable :lol: It was clear really from when we took the engine out that a lot of the conversion parts - would not be useable.

For example some of the main compoments - i.e the bespoke Exhaust, the manifold was cracked like mad and closed up to under 2 Inches as it had collapsed at the 4-1 collector many moons ago.

This was a real downpoint in the conversion for me after spending a lot on the car and then seeing that the "legend" was bascially a botch job with many many design flaws.

Subsequently the rolling shell (it was very customzedzzz ect) was sold.

Attachments

• EngineOld-One..jpg
    EngineOld-One..jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 20
  • EngineMountOld-O&#110.jpg
    EngineMountOld-O&#110.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 16
  • EngineOld-Three..jpg
    EngineOld-Three..jpg
    121 KB · Views: 17
  • RemoteOilFilterO&#10.jpg
    RemoteOilFilterO&#10.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 18
A lot of work (more to the point money) needed for this project Adam - I don't know if I'd have the staying power to stick at it. Commanding a lot of wedge, indeed - the engine spec sounds awesome (the one you secured via that gentlemans agreement :lol:)

Regarding Figo: Ah, I see - which is why I was struggling to identify the bay lay-out, from the pic he posted in the 'Engine Bay' section. It didn't look EP3 to me.

Do you have any other pics Figo? of your car and your set-up? Power figures, build list/spec etc. etc. - would be interested to have a read. :)

should be well worth it in the end though mate, how many people have wha'ts basically a supercar for £15k? :D and more to the point it wont look like it's got 350+bhp lol

as for staying power, half the funs getting greasy and building it :) i'll probs just take on another project once this is finished lol

thanks for the support mind (i think i'll need it!)

I bought a car that had been converted before, it was an old MGF and was basically a test mule for a company down south that dealt with tunning MG's.

Orginally I had hoped it would be a straight swap over and that the test mule car would be 100% but I was very much wrong and so started the Saga of my Conversion.. :evil:

Ill attatch some pics to explain my umm... dismay shall I call it once I started stripping the test car.

As you can see once I got the Engine out this so called maticulously cared for engine looked like hell on a plate. The wiring was done so strangely and even included 3 core housing cable :lol: It was clear really from when we took the engine out that a lot of the conversion parts - would not be useable.

For example some of the main compoments - i.e the bespoke Exhaust, the manifold was cracked like mad and closed up to under 2 Inches as it had collapsed at the 4-1 collector many moons ago.

This was a real downpoint in the conversion for me after spending a lot on the car and then seeing that the "legend" was bascially a botch job with many many design flaws.

lol not a problem figo, how many times have i jacked your threads on MG-R.org! lol

cool pics of the subby mate, is that out of the F or your TF?

Yikes :eek:

So...

Then.. What happened next? :)

Alan, my boss at work converts Lotus cars to runt he K20A and did my conversion. He started to strip down the engine and resulted in a rebuild (dont ask me what all was done I couldn't List it :lol:)

So after a weekend of rebuilding and the Other car away we had a shiney good as new K20A although it meant replacing all the sensors and stuff because the wiring on the old one was so cack.

I do regret not getting the rocker sorted :rolleyes: but alas... it was not on the priority list..

MY car was then taken into Alans garage and my Subframe Dropped out, I then bought another Subframe and had the K20A sitting in it ready to have my Suspension swapped over and the hooked up. It didnt take too long to get it in, maybe a weekend, and after about 2 weeks the engine was running (albeit on the old manifold etc) overall the conversion took about 3 months as everytime we got something working one of the mules parts failed (Driveshafts, injectors, droopy mount etc) so for a while it was the disheartening process of find and replace... or in most cases find and design a new and then get someone to make it... ;) but by the end it was going perfectly just needing minor tweaks here and there.

I retired the car to my garage in December when the snow came and it sat there till March this year just getting it ready for its MOT now and it will be back on the road for summer :twisted:

Everything had to be custom made. Mounts, Spacers, wiring, Exhaust manifold, everything..but when its running well... and that Boxster driver gives you that smug "only an MG look at mine" look ...the VTEC cam switches, the exhaust note changes from a nice happy burble to a manic wail as it screams to the 8500Rpm red line its worth every bit of grief, every night worrying if my bank balance will recover from this escapade ..(which it did :p) and wondering if I have wrecked my perfectly good car.

The final spec is (and and ill only give you the interesting bits :p im sure you dont wanna know about high tensile bolts and the like)

Engine:
Honda 2.0 i-VTEC Type R

4-2-1 big bore manifold Custom made to this car from Meercat Exhausts
Custom Pipe work allowing connection of ANY TF

Decat
Straight through Exhaust
Air feed to high flow induction kit
Hondata K-PRO ECU – Plug into pc to tweak map.
FSE high delivery fuel pump
Remote oil filter.

Replaced ALL Hoses when engine was rebuilt

Gearbox:
Honda six speed close ratio gearbox with Mike Satur custom 6 speed slick shift

Suspension:
Mike Satur Blue Suspension kit (lowered 12mm)

Additional engine mount as per Elise Kit
Rear adjustable arms
Custom made Driveshafts

Brakes:
AP Racing 4 pot calipers on front
Green Stuff Brake pads all round

Up rated EBC Brake Discs all round

The old test car was Dyno'd at TDi North a few years back at 225Bhp.

Im using another map thats been tweaked by myself and Alan that was based on a Map supplied by another Tuning company (dunno if I can name drop) and puts out the same as the old car but with a healthy 160lb-ft of torque!

SInce that map thought iv been trying to tweak it a bit more to get it smoother... I LOVE THE KPRO :D :D

Attachments

• IMG00014-20091004-1&.jpg
    IMG00014-20091004-1&.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Manifold 1..jpg
    Manifold 1..jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 14
  • mmmmmhonda..jpg
    mmmmmhonda..jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG00035-20091007-1&.jpg
    IMG00035-20091007-1&.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Nah Adam thats pre Rebuild.. Ill post up more pics later... the tinternet at work slows to a crawl at lunch time!!

Thanks for that - awesome build, enjoyed reading the story - It's the sort of thing I enjoy reading as it develops over time, proper project. Well done.

Now we need pics of the car, and the bay :)

Edit: seen your post about the pics - look forward to it :cool:

Some pics of the Car and me doing some tweakery on KManager :)

Attachments

• mg..jpg
    mg..jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Side..jpg
    Side..jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG00010-20091004-1&.jpg
    IMG00010-20091004-1&.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 5..JPG
    5..JPG