• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Kumho KU39... worth a punt in these hard times?

Hi guys. My 2004 EP3 needs some new tyres, has some Toyo T1R's all round at the mo, fronts are fine, backs are shot now. I want to stick to 205/45/17.

Xmas is looming... bills to pay... and literally nothing looks any good apart from T1R's starting at the 85-90 quid kinda mark.

I've noticed Kumho KU39's are 63 quid online, these have replaced the KU31's which in a lot of places were on par with T1R's and were good for the cash. Some reviews online suggest the KU39's are as good if not better...but are they worth a punt?

I'm no cornering hero and the T1R's aren't that impressive but they're fine to live with and aren't dangerous or anything. I am looking for the same for now but if the Kumho's are as good then I am willing to give them a try. I don't hoon it in the wet, and not even hard in the dry. But don't want uber cheap tat on there. If I have to spend more then so be it, begrudgingly :)

Anyone USED them rather than just have an opinion on them? Would be good to hear feedback if so :)

Not tried them but Falken ZE 912 are worth a shout, just bought two for £145 delivered myself.

I think I noticed you mention those before... they decent wet and dry? I know everyone used to rave on about the FK452's but can't find them in this size for cheap.

Tyres are the most important component on the car, and should not be scrimped on ;)

They are fine, not the stiffest sidewall but they do offer a decent level of grip and performance. There are of course better options, but you're looking over £120 for a single tyre in some places which of course is not ideal.

I hear you dotty and I do agree, but with budgets in place, the time of year (christmas looming) and the fact I don't drive like a maniac and never beyond my abilities, I am sure in this instance I am allowed a bit of leeway :D

Hence looking at middleground stuff for the best price I can get. Afterall it only has T1R's on at the mo. I am looking for something which is to their level, for less money if poss, and if no joy I will have to make do with some more of those for now.

I'll check the price on those Falkens as well Chris :)

The Kumho's? Sounds decent then :)

Oh dear my sig must have been too big in filesize, the mods have got me lol

Sounds impressive enough. I think for the price they may be worth a go, I will have a quick look around on some more sites first for bargains but they seem to be the best shout if the KU31's were anything to go by. Hopefully they'd be as good as T1R's.

Had a quick read online about the Falkens, they seem to get quite good write ups, and some good offers online. Dunno what to do :D

T1R's - rubbish.
Falken's - rubbish.
Khumo's - rubbish.

All of above are almost identical tyres, soft sidewall, useless in the corners and terrible in rain (and snow when it comes).

I have tried all of them, T1R and KU's on an EP3 and Falken's on a Golf with 180bhp.

Michellin, Goodyear, Continental, Bridgestone, Dunlop are all good tyres, as are BF Goodrich G profilers (made by Michellin anyway but you'll REALLY struggle to find these in the UK now).

Funnily enough, all the expensive one's. Do not skimp on tyres, especially at this time of year IMO.

Granted, they are no star performers, and the sidewall is a bit soft, but the Falkens provide decent grip and have been absolutely fine in the wet. Can't comment on the Kuhmo or T1R as I've never tried them.

Plus I've just been lucky and had four delivered for £145. :lol: Maybe I should swap them for one Michelin tyre?

I know one thing is for certain, they are 100 times better than Parada Spec 2's which most people seem to rave about. :?

Falkens are great - they can't not be really; they're quite soft so the grip is pretty awesome.. only qualm, which I wouldn't necessarily call an issue on cars like ours are wear/life.Can not go wrong, especially for the money. :)

the kumhos are very good mid range tyres. but as has been said if you can get the falkens cheaper in your size i would go for them, more tried and tested as it were.

have only read first post, far too much what i have is the best everything else is sh*t going on in here by the looks of things.

I posted my opinion on the question in hand. Huge apologies for lighting the fuse on your soggy tampons.

I have a different opinion based on actual use of said tyres, it's not as if I am pulling it from my arse. So why the bullsh*t? I am allowed to think differently from you, even if you are a modehater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back