• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's silver FN2 GT - J's Braces

I'd rather an FD2 with NA mods than a charged FN2, sorry to say.

So would I probably bud, but it's just conspiring against me with the insurance, exchange rate and/or dying market for FN2s. I'll enjoy this for a few years then maybe look at FD2s when they get to be the same price as DC5s coming into the country now.

I'd leave your FN2 as it is mate, I'd not bother charging it.

The LSD is a key mod that will bring it to life though.

When you get your FN2 out on a track you will realise that the 200+hp you have is more than enough to have a great time with.

Yeah, its a shame about the FD2 but as you say, its not going to be long and they will be much cheaper to bring over here.

Plus, for me, the underlining point to all of this is that your due a baby any week now, so save dem pennies mate :) .

:lol:

Appreciate the Turdy concerns, in all honesty it's not costing me that much. I'll spill the beans, Chris will hate this but there you go! :p

We have an existing loan from LloydsTSB which we got on a spur of the moment because it was quick when I bought the FN2. It was a shockingly bad APR, something along the lines of 13% and I intended at the time to get another loan from somewhere like Sainsburys at decent rate.

18 months on and I've realised that we haven't done anything about it, so I've been on to LloydsTSB again and they will refinance the loan at 7.8%, which isn't the cheapest, but it's is guaranteed and got me thinking. So we looked into it, and going from 18 months left on the original loan back up to 36 months, and adding £100 a month onto the repayment gives us £6,000 in our hand. We can easily afford the extra £100 a month, and the loan is still less than the value of the car and split mods, so we're not in deep in terms of finance.

This was what I was going to spend on the FD2. I realised that I know my car, I wasn't selling it because I'd fallen out with it or I thought it was going to break, or that I didn't think it was capable, I was just hitting a bit of a funk with it, getting bored if you will, and only seeing bigger and bigger bills for mods. It was Jayne's suggestion to spend the £6k on the car, I hadn't suggested it because I hadn't thought she'd go for it. :)

Charger will be the last power mod I do, so doing it properly. I have been having a huge debate with myself about the power of the thing. I've been in a couple of charged FN2s, but they are the CompTech chargers, and just the ease that they breeze down the road past other cars is an awesome experience.

The Rotrex with intercooler being a centrifugal charger will give me more drive-ability at town speeds and be mental at high revs. It's a charger that is perfectly matched to a high revving engine, well that's the spiel says. TTS do a lot of Rotrex chargers for motorbikes.

Nick is right, I am planning to track the car, it should handle and stop now with the LSD, springs, FRSU and pads, lines and fluid upgrades. I don't think I need any more power on track, after being flung round the Ring by Dotty in his DC5 to the point of having the shakes when I got back and chasing and passing Renault Sport Clio race cars at Spa in Harv's DC5 by Hasnic, I know the power I have now will be enough to have fun. That being said, seeing Brencivic's EP3 at Castle Combe, it looked like he was having a lot of fun! :lol:

Charger is for sh*ts and giggles. I'm keeping the car now, and the charger is for me. Do it while I'm young enough not to look like I'm having a mid life crisis sort of thing. ;)

John, Nick is talking sense. You don't need to charge the car, it will be fun enough with an LSD. As for not selling your car, you weren't even trying. How long did you have it on Pistonheads for? Not long iirc, I had my AT on PH for like 6 weeks, I'd even forgotten it was for sale, then out of the blue I get a phone call and within 5 days it was sold. All you need is more patience.

Serious question here, but have you driven a DC5 at all? If I were in your shoes, that'd be the car I'd be looking at, and put the spare cash from the loan towards your house/turd/holiday etc. There are better things in life than having a charger on your FN2 that will only add straight line speed and put you into more debt on a car that you've already found might be hard to sell due to the mods. If you fit the charger, it's something you will eventually have to take off, as we all know it'll add didly squat on the resale value of the car. Again, money wasted IMO.

When did you lot get so sensible? :lol:
:lol:

Seriously, I've driven a lot of Type R's, and there is a massive difference between the DC5 and FN2. Mahousive. I've driven them back to back on track and on the road, and the I've also driven the White LSD version on track back to back with my DC5.

The DC5 is a completely different animal, it feels more planted, the brakes are better, the steering feel better and overall the chassis feels much more balanced than that of the FN2. I short, it's a much better car.

Now I realise that John has done various upgrades on his car to overcome the FN2's short comings but still, I think further lending to make the FN2 pokier in a straight line is a bit of a rash move. I'd rather save the dosh and get a car that is better from the ground up and work on getting it fully paid off faster.

John, this is not to discourage you, as by the time you've done, this will be one of my favourite FN2's in the country bar a Mugen, and I fully appreciate what you are doing, but I just thought I'd add my 2p.

John, this is not to discourage you, as by the time you've done, this will be one of my favourite FN2's in the country bar a Mugen, and I fully appreciate what you are doing, but I just thought I'd add my 2p.

That's fair enough Chris, if we all wanted the same things and all that. :p

I spent a good 4 days in a DC5 and experienced exactly what they can do. I didn't drive either, though Dotty did offer a lap of the ring, I just didn't want to be forever in Dotty's debt if I stacked it. Jumping into a car for the first time and ragging it round the German countryside, best not! :lol:

They are very planted, the rear end is the thing that stuck me most. Felt stable and predictable at any speed. I thought the FN2 was an improvement over the EP3, but it was something else!

And you are right, I wasn't really trying to sell the FN2. I didn't really want it to go and especially not for the money it would sell for. I spent a lot of time looking at my competition i.e. -

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2776439.htm don't know if it sold for asking price but is has done 18k more than mine

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2777653.htm similar mileage, but has the built in HFT and Nav, been up 19 days, plus at least another 30 advert, it's been around for a while.

I'm fully expecting by the end of the year FN2s will be going for less than 55/06 EP3 Prems, they just aren't selling.

Even RevItUp gave me what I'm now understanding to be a reasonable offer of just over £8k for the car. It was just not worth selling it.

This is what the Rotrex would sound like. I've no idea whose this car is or what mods are on it other than the description on the vid.

[video=youtube;H-paO5UFpnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-paO5UFpnQ[/video]

This guy, I do know, Greek. He's got the Rotrex with custom intercooler, custom header and exhuast, custom 80mm CAI, walbro 255 fuel pump, FD2 oil pump, meth/water injection and a chavtastic BOV. He's running 376 at the hubs.

[video=youtube;H8MwcBZZv8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8MwcBZZv8Y[/video]

[video=youtube;Ipg1bx6Cz1A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipg1bx6Cz1A[/video]

I'll obviously just have my mods now and the Rotrex with intercooler.

Notice the lack of the traditional JRSC/CTSC whine. Sleeper charger FTW.

cant wait to see this progress. one of the only FN2's i like....

it has the "raw" edge that every other FN2 dont.

Still going in for Wavetrac and Stage 2 clutch on Friday.

TDi-North have also developed their own short shifter, so I'm going to try and get one of those fitted while I'm there. The standard front to back on the FN2 is 110mm, the Mugen is reportedly around 100mm, the TDi-North one is 80mm.

10ie2on.jpg

Great mod John, short shifters are overlooked by a lot of people, but are so usefull.

I can't believe how FN2's have dropped in price either mate.. I saw a 58 plate with 10k on the clock for 8.5k last week. I paid 7.5k for my Premier EP3 2 months ago... :eek: Nobody wants them but I don't understand why, maybe the EP3 really is a modern day classic hot hatch?

I can't wait to see this Roterex'd up! :twisted::twisted:

Does it shorten the horizontal travel too or just the vertical?

It will be the horizontal as well bud, it's just easier to measure 3rd to 4th I think.

I can't believe how FN2's have dropped in price either mate.. I saw a 58 plate with 10k on the clock for 8.5k last week. I paid 7.5k for my Premier EP3 2 months ago... :eek: Nobody wants them but I don't understand why, maybe the EP3 really is a modern day classic hot hatch?

I can't wait to see this Roterex'd up! :twisted::twisted:

I think you might be right to an extent, maybe the Premier Editions, but you can get pre-facelifts for less than £4k now, so they are falling into the hands for the traditional Saxo/Corsa owners.

I bought my FN2 in Jan '10 for £13k. According to adverts I've seen and offers for trade-ins etc, I would be lucky to get £9-9.5k private sale now, so it's lost £3.5-4k in 16 months. I've never lost money on a used car like that before, but it's irrelevant if I keep it. :rolleyes:

Back