• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's Type R #4

Spent my cam budget now.

Just these that you know about, a few more bits and a map then I'm done for a while.

Loving the progress Loxy!
how is the skunk2 intake?
I'm going to be buying an intake when I'm back from my holidays, and I'm stumped between the hks and this one.

Cheers.
The car feels a lot more responsive now, but I had the balancer shaft delete kit fitted at the same time.
The Skunk2 intake is a lot deeper in noise than the HKS. I thought it was really loud when I first drove the car but I'm getting used to it now!

Awesome. I think I may plump for the skunk2!
Think it'll be a garage job though, due to all the relocation etc!

This is how it's going with this car...

Check strap on the driver's door had a little crack in the outer cover, though the actual strap below was fine at still made a clunk noise when opening and closing the door.

Cue new strap from Hendy. Half an hour of a job, door card off, unbolt and feed the strap inside of the door and out. Reverse going back in. No pictures because I got covered in the sticky stuff that holds the door lining in place. :lol:

New strap part number (right hand side only, left is different).

IMAG3045.jpg

New strap in place.

IMAG3040.jpg

Old strap.

IMAG3042.jpg

IMAG3044.jpg

No more in clunk when opening and closing the door now. Chuffed. :)

Mugen day today. Well Mugen short shifter anyway.

Stripped out the centre console ready.

IMAG3047.jpg

IMAG3046.jpg

Had a real struggle getting the linkages off the base of the shifter, but figured out the knack of it. Big adjustable spanner on the square block at the back of the shifter and turn. Popped straight off then.

All fitted and back together. Took about 90 minutes being careful taking the centre console out and struggling at first with the linkages. Not a single clip or bit of trim broken, unlike last time I did the swap on my silver FN2. :lol:

IMAG3048.jpg

Happy as Larry. Big difference to how it was before. Cushty.

Nice one! Big difference over stock?

Yes really big difference. Last time I had a short shifter I had a TDi-north one and this is very similar to that on first impressions. The knob now feels nice and low in your hand. You can change gear with a flick of the wrist now.

It's one of the main things that I missed from my old FN2 stepping into this one.

Hmm something to consider then. Was close to buying the one you bought, just the taking apart the console put me off! Spent 3 hours at TDi pretending the front bumper hadn't been removed!

Hmm something to consider then. Was close to buying the one you bought, just the taking apart the console put me off! Spent 3 hours at TDi pretending the front bumper hadn't been removed!

You know you want one Welshy!! :) I can only say they are fantastic, I believe Carl just picked one up send him a message on where he got it from.

I hate reading your posts Loxy, you keep showing me more bits that I need to buy with money I don't have. lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why I didn't ask you very politely to give it a go when we were at TDI. I think the fear of the impending bill was clouding my judgement!

I'm not sure why I didn't ask you very politely to give it a go when we were at TDI. I think the fear of the impending bill was clouding my judgement!

Argh opportunity missed there, bummer. Never thought about it. :(

Having driven a standard FN2, the two things I am happy very mine came with and would replace straight away on a standard. Brake hoses and quick shift really make it a much better car to drive.

Postie arrived today.

IMAG3058.jpg

Quite a wait on a slot for a few bits fitting and mapping, so it'll be sat in my garage for a few weeks.

Back