• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MilanoChris's Accord Type R

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Type R number... I've lost count.

I bought another ATR yesterday. 70k miles, new brakes all round, new clutch, aircon and the rest is the usual standard spec, ie Recaro seats, HIDs etc etc.

It feels about 30hp quicker than my old one and a lot tighter. It cost me around £1500 less to buy than a facelift EP3 would have cost me, it's more comfortable to drive to work and back plus no doubt better at long distances. It's also a whopping 40% less to insure as well. :eek: The gearing is long, but with the extra punch this engine has over my old one, it makes it a whole load better. The 3rd-4th change is still a PITA keeping it in VTEC, but on a private road, that is approaching 3 figure speeds anyway so not exactly going to happen often.

The car is totally standard at the moment. It's booked into TGM on Monday for Tom to give it a health check and redo the geometry as it's pulling slightly to the right. The front tyres are complete budget crap as well so I think I will swap them over to something with more grip and sell the old ones on Gumtree. I'm also trying to source a second rocker cover as the fitted one needs some TLC. The engine bay is also a bit mucky, so will try and get that sorted soon enough.

It's a lovely car tbh, great to drive, quick, comfortable and with having rear doors, it's so much easier to get the dog in and out when I take him up to the woods for a walk.

Couple of quick pics:

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

I need to sort out the headlights, they are very cloudy and I understand this can cured with wet and dry, and a few other minor points, but for what I paid for it, I'm not complaining.

Looks ok Chris a bit of tinkering and should be excellent, never drove one of these but always liked the look of them and 4 doors does make life easier.

I'm tempted to get Tom to lower it with some Eibach springs and do a FRSU on it. :)

As per Sickly - these are presenting an itch that must be scratched to me more and more often.

Very nearly bought a nice one just before I opted for the teg.

Definitely own one soon.

That's a surprise Dooksie, I was expecting you to get something cheap and cool that you could burn up, like a RX8 or something a bit wild.

Is K preggers ???

Some of the HOT lot have these and they are quick. (The drivers I mean :lol: )

She's not preggers mate, she'd have to get me of Skyrim for that to happen. :lol:

I do like RX8's, but they have running costs associated with Evo's/M cars etc, and only the performance of a Type R so don't see the point?

I guess that it changes the feel and drive of a DC5/EP3 I figure it'll do similar for the Accord?

Some people may be wondering why I bought this instead of an EP3 or something newer. Well, I have spent a lot of time since I sold the prefacelift EP3 last week considering which car to buy in its stead. Not long after I bought it, I realised that not only do I much prefer the facelift, I also really missed aircon, even though the K20 is a lovely engine and the 6 speed gearbox is fantastic. There were a number of cars that I considered, WRX, Evo, facelift EP3, DC2, ATR, RX8, E46 330ci, E39 530i etc etc, but it kept coming back to a Type R of some form. Reasons for this is that they are all great fun to drive, offer fantastic value for money and are all pretty bullet proof, as long as they are serviced.

There is a Cosmic EP3 with a diff for sale near Manchester, but it was a pain sorting things with the buyer as I really needed a car for today (due to work etc) and his wasn't standard yet he wasn't prepared to let it go with the mods on, we half worked out a deal then he told me he couldn't get it ready in time, so back to the drawing board. Another facelift black one came up, but that soon went before I had chance to call. I viewed 3 locally and they were all a bag of crap and it dawned on me the last time I looked, finding a decent one is hard work these days. I started looking into insurance some more and the ATR was looking a good 40% cheaper than the Civic so I decided to go and view one.

I had bad memories of my old one, the engine felt lethargic and the chassis while competent, felt quite loose. It did have well over 120k miles so was probably due a suspension rebush and maybe the engine had lacked love in earlier life hence feeling somewhat down on power. After spending all weekend in work looking for one, I almost gave up. I got home and decided to browse the current ads again when this silver one came up. It had just had new brakes all round as well as a brand new clutch fitted not even 600 miles ago. It also had a lot less miles on it than others. It looked a good deal cheaper than most on for sale, and I think also had the lowest mileage, covering just 70k, so it was too good a chance to pass up. There aren't many at all for sale with less mileage. The list price of £2800 was cheap as well, and after viewing and taking it for a test drive, I picked up a few things and noticing the seller desperate for the cash I offered a very cheeky price to which he agreed to my surprise. So I drove it away there and then after a quick call to Elephant to get me fully insured on it etc.

I have said many times that my next big purchase won't be coming for a while, I need to leave the Army first whenever that happens and get a new job, so this ATR is going to be used in the meantime. It's a great car and cheap too. :)

Doesn't look to bad mate, no doubt mr TGM will sort any 'nats cock' niggles out :lol:
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a rocker cover for you.

Fair enough, more money for tyres then I guess.

Definitely. I've gone to town on one of mine. Sort of wish I hadn't. Tuning the H22 is a waste of time IMO.

I am craving another K20 and at the prices of EP3's soon could make that a possibility.

Definitely. I've gone to town on one of mine. Sort of wish I hadn't. Tuning the H22 is a waste of time IMO.

I am craving another K20 and at the prices of EP3's soon could make that a possibility.
Going from the Accord to a Civic, you will hate the steering feel in a Civic. There are also a lot of dogs around, so be careful. Only Civic I'd have again would be a facelift but I don't think that'd happen.

I won't tune mine much mate, probably exhaust manifold, decat and intake, that will be about it really. At the moment I'm enjoying the way it is tbh.

Back