• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MOT Advisory

Morning all,

Took the Ep3 to my local Honda garage yesterday for my MOT,
She passed but i was issued with an advisory for some work.

They have informed me that the offside ball joint has some play in it and will need to be replaced at some point,

They quoted me approx £130 for parts and fitting.
As i dont really know alot about these things just wanted some advice as to if this is a good price or can i expect to pay less at a non Honda garage?

I know its only £130 but just wanted to ask on here before i commit.

Cheers for the help :)

Hi mate, please keep me informed of this as I have a bit of play in my wheel, and suspect ball joint (as do TDI-North), who guestimated at £260/side in parts..

i dont know on the EP3 if they are quoting you to juse replace the specific balljoint. on some cars it isn't financially viable or physically possible to swap out balljoint so you end up with a whole new lower arm. if that quote means you are getting one whole arm and fitting i would go with it. if the balljoint is a seperate part i expect trade price on that is anywhere from £15-£30 so you are paying for labour.

Hi mate, please keep me informed of this as I have a bit of play in my wheel, and suspect ball joint (as do TDI-North), who guestimated at £260/side in parts..

Hi joe,

Well little update for you, Im going with my local honda on this one and have the car booked in for next week. As i have a few things goin on at the minute i havent got round to doing alot of price searching. so going for the easy, close by option.
Will let you know how it goes. :)

Cheers for the update, Did they confirm it's the whole ball joint, and did they give any indication of cost?

Ta

They have just said that the ball joint has some play in it, so im not sure if they are replacing the whole thing or not?
But as it needs doing and i've got some extra cash at the mo im gonna go ahead with it.
I will post an update as soon as the work is done.

Hello, small update.

Took car to honda today and after being told it was the ball joint turns out it was the track rod ends, so had the offside ones replaced and car good as new.
I know its probally physiological but the car felt alot more solid over the speed bumps on the way home and NO knocking noises!!

The only thing im annoyed at is that i wrote down the part number to order my Jazz washers and left it on the side Grr!!
Ha ha oh well good excuse to go for a drive tomorrow and pop in to order them!

Back