• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My ATR

So there I was on the M4 driving to Wales, was getting quite hot so I thought I'd put the air con on. Fail.

Getting it re-gassed today, let's hope it's nothing more serious.

Probably best to find out. Makes it a lot easier to find leaks, which in turn makes it cheaper to re-gas next time.

It was done at Kwick Fit mate in Wales while I was there. If it runs out soon then I'll get it fully leak tested. They did however say that part of the re-gassing procedure performs a leak test?

So I now have Silvatec side repeaters and a Mugen rad cap. Looks like the front discs are shot so some grooved ones will be going on when I have it serviced. The springs will have to wait till the following month. I figure I'd rather a car with proper brakes than one which is lowered.

Not a fan of grooved disks. All they do is introduce a weak spot on the disk (and the grooves will just fill up with pad deposits anyway!)

nice choice chris my mate used to have one he was a member on here i will try to dig up some photos

Not a fan of grooved disks. All they do is introduce a weak spot on the disk (and the grooves will just fill up with pad deposits anyway!)

Drilled discs give a weak spot, not heard any stories of grooves giving weak spots? As for pad deposit, never had an issue when I had grooved on my DC5. The set I am going for are cheaper than OEM, and are the disc of choice on the ATR forum, offering better performance and longer life than OEM too.

Drilled discs give a weak spot, not heard any stories of grooves giving weak spots? As for pad deposit, never had an issue when I had grooved on my DC5. The set I am going for are cheaper than OEM, and are the disc of choice on the ATR forum, offering better performance and longer life than OEM too.

Surely if you gouge a groove into a disk it makes that bit thinner and therefore weaker?
I might be wrong but I've always thought it was a gimmick on the cheaper disks?

Surely if you gouge a groove into a disk it makes that bit thinner and therefore weaker?
I might be wrong but I've always thought it was a gimmick on the cheaper disks?

The groove provides a cooling vein, that's all I know. I've read a few stories on forums of people having drilled discs with cracks in them and having no issues with grooved discs. I asked Tom today when I was at TGM and he said go for grooved.

I'm going to add my 2p here, I have heard of discs cracking under extreme braking, but I cannot remember for the life of me if it's drilled or grooved or both. But then again there will allways be a horror story about most things. I had EBC drilled and brooved discs on my Fiesta and never had any problems other than the noise.

Here's some photo's I've just taken. I've added a bit of engine dress up, namely a battery tie bar, T1R oil cap and a Mugen rad cap as well as some Mugen res covers which will add 23 bhp.

The car hasn't been cleaned since I got it as I've been none stop driving wise and covered about 1000 miles in a week. I hope to get it cleaned this weekend so I can see if I can get away with just a detail for the scratches. Both bumpers have some marks which will get sorted in time. Not the best pics but it gives an idea of what I'm starting with.

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4738.jpg

_MG_4756.jpg

_MG_4750.jpg

_MG_4749.jpg

_MG_4747.jpg

_MG_4746.jpg

_MG_4745.jpg

_MG_4744.jpg

_MG_4743.jpg

Back