• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My brake nightmare!!! - Brakes replaced still a problem!

OK after changing the pads and discs I can still sometimes hear the pad catching the disc. Is this normal just after a change? Will it go away once the pads are a little worn?

I'm hoping it's nothing to do with the caliper :shock:

Neily03 said:
The original pads, were they all worn evenly??

No they were worn in a slope as you look at it at the side. About 2 mm more one one side then the other. Bear in mind I've also found out both front discs were warped slightly too.

MilanoChris said:
Neily03 said:

No they were worn in a slope as you look at it at the side. About 2 mm more one one side then the other. Bear in mind I've also found out both front discs were warped slightly too.

Thats very strange..... when i changed mine all 4 were identical, perfectly flat....

Due to the design of the caliper i can't think how they wear on a slope... were all 4 the same??

Neily03 said:
MilanoChris said:
Neily03 said:

Thats very strange..... when i changed mine all 4 were identical, perfectly flat....

Due to the design of the caliper i can't think how they wear on a slope... were all 4 the same??

Well the front right were down to the metal but it appeared so.

Another visit to the dealer?

I think the calipers may need stripping down and rebuilding..... something is right....

MilanoChris said:
Neily03 said:
I think the calipers may need stripping down and rebuilding..... something is right....

Easy job to do?

Not done it to a CTR or any car for several years, but all you need is a kit of new seals, take it apart make sure it all clean and there no corrosion on any moving parts then rebuild with the new seals. But imo if this is required on your car then it should be covered under warrenty....

EDIT: the noises you're hearing may just be the new pads on used discs and should go away as they wear in. But the uneven wear on the original pads sounds odd.... maybe just see how it goes for a few hundred miles...

Neily03 said:
MilanoChris said:
Neily03 said:

Easy job to do?

Not done it to a CTR or any car for several years, but all you need is a kit of new seals, take it apart make sure it all clean and there no corrosion on any moving parts then rebuild with the new seals. But imo if this is required on your car then it should be covered under warrenty....

EDIT: the noises you're hearing may just be the new pads on used discs and should go away as they wear in. But the uneven wear on the original pads sounds odd.... maybe just see how it goes for a few hundred miles...

My mate who helped me fit them is an ex mechanic and said the same thing. He reckoned that the uneven wear was due to the heat created on already low pads combined with warped discs. He reckones that the should bed in soon enough and if not then I should take it to the dealers to get them to inspect the calipers.

Seems to be OK now.

Though I can't really tell as the Gruppe M keeps howling at me :oops: :lol:

Back