• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MY DC5 - was a 182 - is now a Premier EP3

Never had a single issue with my Megane R26. Not one.

\\\i think a lot of the stories are hearsay personally.

The RS cars are built in a different factory to the normal cars.

Nice car Rob, still a cnut.

I read too many horror stories and one saying it felt like driving a van. Just really put me off, plus VBH on Fifth Gear was racing that VXR and it went into limp mode and they couldn't fix it, and I read very similar stories with others going back to factory. Including the yellow one who works near me lol.

If its on the Internet it must be true. Like some mappers making your car more powerful than Zeus, god and bin laden blended together

If its on the Internet it must be true. Like some mappers making your car more powerful than Zeus, god and bin laden blended together

WOAH, dont start piling your USA rage onto me :lol: I was just pointing out why it put me off, added to the fact I had first hand experience of these issues with the guy near my work and numerous friends who have owned Renaults (not just internetz folk). I'm not hating on them, I was just massively put off.

Plus you got pwned by an EP3.

Lol that's fair do's man, each to their own and all. Yes I was done my a modded ep3 in my oem Clio haha.

Both cars are decent pieces of kit in my eyes, just the Clio won it for me this time round and I'm more than happy with it.

:lol: I just read my post and it seemed like I was being really defensive but I wasn't.
Like everyone says, all that matters is that you're happy with it. SpaceMonk had one and he loved it, and by all accounts it never let him down. Wasn't that Sharky member's Clio plagued by Gremlins though? (In fact, was it even a Clio?) Ignore me.

Are you going to fiddle with the car (oo-er)?

:lol: I just read my post and it seemed like I was being really defensive but I wasn't.
Like everyone says, all that matters is that you're happy with it. SpaceMonk had one and he loved it, and by all accounts it never let him down. Wasn't that Sharky member's Clio plagued by Gremlins though? (In fact, was it even a Clio?) Ignore me.

Are you going to fiddle with the car (oo-er)?

It's a 182.

Im going to fettle with bits and pieces. The joy of fettling with the Clio is its a hell I a lot cheaper than doing the same things to a Honda.

I've got a set of pro race 1.2s to fit when I get home and will be ordering ds2500's, braided lines an a rear anti roll bar. Coilovers will follow as will ripping the rear interior out and fitting a bucket and harness and a fast road remap. All of that can be done for the price of buying a j's exhaust and manifold land I'll have a right little track weapon.

Sounds like an awesome plan. I love 1.2s, I think some Compomotive MOs in anthracite would look even better :lol:

True about the dosh side of things though, I don't understand why everything has to be so expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 182.
Hi mate - yes, I've got a 182 Trophy. But to be fair, the problems I've had have been due to a botched engine conversion. Everything else has just been general wear and tear with a bit of bad luck thrown in for good measure. I've had the car a good few years now and couldn't bear to get rid of it. As much as I love my good lady's EP3 I'd take my Trophy everytime nowadays. Not that I'd say 'no' to an EP3 - still love 'em. :D

:lol: Sorry mate - no can do on this occasion! I've just had them fully rebuilt / 'unpinned' and the it handles beautifully once again.

I'm sure it does. I keep seeing the shocks pop up for sale in need of a refurb, but by the time everything's been done you're talking nigh on £900 for 2 front shocks, which is a bit much IMO. Think I'm going to go with Gaz GHA when the time comes for new suspension.

On another note going to slap my Pro Race 1.2's on tomorrow. Gave them a thorough clean today with Iron X, stuff is truly immense at it's job but stinks to high heaven.

577118a7.jpg

Will be wearing SP9000's all round.

I'm sure it does. I keep seeing the shocks pop up for sale in need of a refurb, but by the time everything's been done you're talking nigh on £900 for 2 front shocks, which is a bit much IMO. Think I'm going to go with Gaz GHA when the time comes for new suspension.

On another note going to slap my Pro Race 1.2's on tomorrow. Gave them a thorough clean today with Iron X, stuff is truly immense at it's job but stinks to high heaven.

Will be wearing SP9000's all round.
Thankfully the price of the Sachs dampers has come down a bit. I was looking at buying brand new a year or so ago (rather than refurbishing/rebuilding) but at the then price of almost £3,000 I thought against it! Even nowadays they aren't cheap but they are good; especially for B-road blasts and even the odd track day here and there.

Love the 1.2's mate - they really suit the car. I would be tempted if I didn't have a couple of sets of Trophy Speedline Turini's in storage should I ever need a new set! :lol: :oops: You just never know...

Where do you get your Iron-X from mate? I've never used it before but I hear a lot of people (pro detailers included) recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How you getting on with the 182 rob? :)

Ive got a 182 cup, racing blue. Minter, had it about a year and a half. FRSH.
Handles unfeasibly good in all weather, never in any doubt that you'll come out the corner the wrong way lol :lol:

I had a 172 for about 3 years before i had my civic ep3, which I kept for 3.5 years.
Honda wins on overall comfort of driving, build quality, renault driving position too high.
Honda wins on engine scream and excitement.

Renault wins on handling, point to point blasting without getting tired of thrashing the knackers off the engine, and renault wins on grip/tyre combo.
Michelin pilot exalto are cracking tyres.

Just sold my Civic too, which means i get to drive the Cup a bit more, though i have added another Renault to the family to replace the honda. :)

Renault wins on fuel economy too.
172 gave me 41mpg over the duration of owning the car !!!

182 does a lot of town stop start driving and is on 33mpg.
Can get 42/43mpg when i take it to work for a week.

That sort of mpg was by default james. ;)
You can sometimes only go as fast as the traffic in front of you, the roads i frequent are fast a roads which are not the safest of roads to overtake on.

Hence you could get stuck at 50mph for up to 10 or 15 miles each way to work. :mad:

Back