• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

I read this today...Absolutely gutted you decided to strip her! What an amazing thread. Totally inspired to keep my EP3 now instead of buying the 2015 CTR in a couple of years. I want to now put the money into either a turbo or supercharger.

Cheers, yeah it was sad to break her up, but we had to prioritise what we wanted. If you can't decide between SC or Turbo, read this thread again. Turbo is the way to go. Having had both on the same car, both brand new units, the turbo stands out everywhere. In fact you can buy mine hahaha

Yeah, I think I'm biased towards the turbo more. Think I would be aiming for the 300 HP mark. I've had a quick look at the TDi website. Very impressed by the work they did on your car.

Haha! I would love to. But I think it'll be a couple of years before I start on this...just bought a house and I'm getting married in August! I think the other half would have something to say if I started piling money into the civic :)

I've just read all 77 pages from start to finish! Was an EPIC journey and build, was even giving the mrs the highlights, like others so gutted when I read you decided to break it but I understand other things take priority.
I know it's personal and I'm expecting to be told to sod off but I've got to ask out of sheer curiosity: how much money did you put into the ep3 in total?
Wish you all the best with the Canada fund mate and future endeavours, thanks for sharing the build.

I know it's personal and I'm expecting to be told to sod off but I've got to ask out of sheer curiosity: how much money did you put into the ep3 in total?

Sod off. haha, More than I should have, lets just leave it at that.

Damn! look at that Graph. :eek:

Yeah that was at 12psi, I was running 14 on the road. Making 463bhp on a cold day.

Epic read from start to finish! Took a couple of days! Shame it went the way it did but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

Read the whole thread start to finish, gutted you had to break it but all good things must come to and end. My Dad now live's out in Canada, having been there a few times I would happily drop everything for a chance to start fresh out there. Hope your Canada fund is building nicely and you're still working towards the goal. Did you ever sell the turbo kit?

Jess I thought this thread was dead and buried. Yeah the Canada fund is building up a treat. Still not enough to retire over there, but not far.

Yeah the turbo sold, and is running on the road. Smaller intercooler but still making 400bhp+.

Interesting read... Read your thread a few times over... Shame you broke it.. Admire what you did and times you ran at pod..

I'm currently at 432bhp on a stock engine.. Slightly smaller turbo than what you were running and running 15psi...

people under estimate what these engines are capable of producing.. Just look at what they achieve in the states.. I've just had my sump baffled, valve springs next, more boost and hope to be circa 460bhp like you were running...

can I ask what your limiter was set at?

Cheers,

Once you get the Valve Springs done, you can push the motor into the 500's, but I wouldn't go much further on a stock bottom end.

My limiter was set to 9000. 460bhp was incredible, proper stupid to be honest, but so much fun.

Were you still running stock oil pump with a 9,000rpm limiter? I've read in a few places that the standard pump struggles at anything over 8,600rpm or is that just a myth?

I'm also just a little concerned at the boost level I might have to run to hopefully achieve power I have in mind, 17psi, do you think that would be asking too much? Have read it's torque that is a limiting factor, I.e sub 300lb-ft..

Yeah 300ftlb is the general rule, I pushed it to 310/320 though without an issue. With better Valve Springs you can push it further still. Yeah it still had the stock fuel pump on it, never heard that it struggles over 8600rpm before to be honest.

Cant help you with the 17psi to be honest, I was running 14psi quite happily, again with no issues. I do know I maxed out the 2000cc Injectors, and if I wanted more power, bigger ones would have had to have been purchased.

I meant the standard oil pump pushing past a 8,600rpm limiter.. I'm running a walboro 255lph fuel pump at the moment, but have just ordered an Aem 320lph fuel pump...
I'm running 1000cc injectors and whilst fueling is fine at my current state of tune as walboro is rated to circa 500bhp, for the sake of £110 I've decided to upgrade from the walboro..
will have to see how it does with 17psi...
thanks for your replies :)

Loved reading every bit of this build... Made time go at work faster as well :lol:

Ever thought of re - building another Beast like this again!?

Loved reading every bit of this build... Made time go at work faster as well :lol:

Ever thought of re - building another Beast like this again!?

Nope.

Well not to the same extent, I do keep thinking about a smaller project, but I doubt I will ever get round to it. Glad you enjoyed the read though.

I Have just spent 2 days on and off at work reading this whole thread was such a epic build and i am looking at doing similar this year with my cosmic grey.
was wondering if you ended up building anything else after the beast of a ep3 you had??

Back