• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Golf V6 4motion Build

As i bought her for just over £4k
2.8 V6 4 Motion 204bhp
2003 Plate 60,000 miles

Then the messing began:
Oil + Filter - VW
Haldex 4 wheel drive Oil + Filter - VW
6 Plugs - NGK
MAF sensor - VW
Air filter – K&N
Pollen Filter - VW
Wiper Blades - Bosch
Discs and Pads all round – EBC Discs and EBC Red Stuff Pads
CV boot - VW
Coil Pack - VW
Throttle Body – VW
Aircon regas - quickfit
Replacement radiator fans – eurocar parts (VW are crap and fail)
4 Goodyear tyres - had the best reviews over on the R32 owners club
Secondary airpump fix - housing splits open when pop rivits fail so replaced with bolts.
Rear number plate lights with led bulbs - buggered the old ones when i jet washed the car.
R32 Pedals inc dead pedal - alloy pedals look better
R32 Gear lever - as im removing the awful wood trim
VW centre caps for wheels - someone helped themselves to the original ones!
Golf Mk5 rear wiper and arm - Straight swap, the Mk5 is a nice aero wiper
Replaced stupid arm rest with a coin holder
R Design Grey Mats
Citroen C3 stubby antenna.

On the way:
Distance to empty, Illuminated needles, auto windows, indicator flash on lock and unlock - as soon as i can meet up with the guy who sorts it
Alarm led changed to blue - for less than £1 why not!
Wheel refub - I am keeping my drug dealer wheels!

On back order:
R32 Trim - silver trim to replace all the wood trim

Off to the body shop when im away over christmas for:
Anniversary black headlights
Front valance colour coded
Rear valance colour coded
Boot respray + Passenger door tidy up - patch of rust on the boot so having it stripped and repainted and there are a few light scratches on the passenger door so having those buffed out.
Sharkfin antenna – colour coded
R32 Spoiler
R32 side skirts

New year present to myself:
AMD remap
Milltek exhaust full system
Haldex sport controller
R32 ARBs

The aim is to have 230BHP and then flog it :lol::lol::lol:

I will stick fresh pics up this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheels and wood trim are :(.

Good work getting the silver interior trim from the R32. Get the R32's Koenig seats as well. ;) :lol:

Are you going for the resonated or unresonated Milltek?

Goodyear Asymmetrics are what I'm going for next as well.

Did you do the fan replacement yourself? I want to do this pre-emptively to my R32 and the missus' TDI but I have no idea what I'm doing. :oops:

Im going to keep the seats, im not looking for a R32 replica, just some bits on the R32 are much more to my taste.

resonated milltek, i still want to be able to blast around in comfort!

The goodyears are great, did a deal £406 for all 4 fitted ballanced and the tracking sorted.

Onto the fan replacement, its a pig of a job, not because its difficult, about 20 bolts in total, but getting to them!
You need the front end on stands or on a ramps to give you clearance under the car.
I removed the secondary air pump (did the fix at the same time) then just located all the bolts holding the radiator cowl on, took about an hour as i kept missing one here and there, then unplug the connectors on the fans and wiggle everything down at an angle to the back of the car, it comes out eventually, 2 bolts for each clamp on the fan, new fans in and re-fit, it took me about 6hours in total, but i think now i could do it in 2 easily.
Im helping someone else do it on a PD150 next weekend and so im going to produce a step by step guide for the owners forum, ill pass you the link.

2 things, 1, the tyres i got from quick fit, so your local one should do the same deal. and 2, dont use VW fans, they fail over and over again, euro car parts pattern ones are cheaper £170 a pair and have so far lasted well on R32s ;-)

It is a resistor problem, but the resistor is in the fan motor housing itself, so for a 5p resistor failing you have to replace the fan... God bless the Germans!

Cant recommend the EBC pads enough, squealed like a bugger for 150 miles and now have bedded in well and can take a real hammering :)

Not sure the problem is with the pads and discs; I think they're fine. There's a lot of travel in the pedal and the brakes are quite spongy until they get some heat in them. Maybe they need bleeding (I just pinched that from one of Neil's posts yesterday). :lol:

:lol: :lol: 99% of the time I am right though.

Just a quick update... After fiddling with the fans it seems i have upset something :-( the idle was bouncing between the usual 800rpm and 1200rpm, the consensus is that i have split a vacuum pipe somewhere and so air is leaking in (again!) so i decided rather than fanny around looking for the leak i will replace the lot! a very reasonable £19 from the dealer for miles and miles of pipes and elbows, seems this weekend i will be re-plumbing the golf!

A call from the garage has confirmed what i already knew... Its not a split hose, its a fooked intake manifold :-(

The real pain in the ass is i think i might have caused it when i swapped the cooling fans over :-(

6hr Labour so far... This will be a big bill!

you must have done approaching £3K on that car now?

Dont remind me! Apart from the exhaust manifold and the main engine block + radiators the engine bay is new!
I have decided not to bother with the bodywork, just leave it bog standard (cant justify throwing another £2k at it!) So next up is fitting the race haldex controller a re-map plus if i can abuse a friendship enough, full miltek system, including sports cat.

Then hopefully ill have a weekend car i can use!

SOLD! In the end I have take a loss of about £500 on it but I just wanted rid, loved the car, hated the nasty fairy that lived in the engine bay.

i heard he bought a veyron cash. he worked out the maths in a spreadsheet. the veyron would pay for itself vs keeping the golf in about 2 years.

i heard he bought a veyron cash. he worked out the maths in a spreadsheet. the veyron would pay for itself vs keeping the golf in about 2 years.

Not bloody far off!

I am stuck at the moment, my head says stick with the 325d for 12 months until the move to canada.

The heart says... 4.3 Vantage thats in the local aston dealer, 19k miles in black with red leather... should be hearing about a contract on thursday, so this weekend might get expensive :)

When you go Canada would you have an Aston? If not, buy it now then worry about how good the fuel economy of the 325 was when you're doing 170mph :twisted:

Back