• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My ICE Plan, Suggestions Please.

I’m planning a few minor tweaks to my ICE. I’m new to Type-R audio so would you more knowledgeable chaps mind sharing your opinions on what I’m planning on doing?

I’m looking on DynaMatting the doors as I’m getting a few rattles so I thought I’d upgrade the speakers at the same time.

I’m looking for some components that will be run off the standard headunit I’m planning to use the OEM tweeter mounts. What speakers would people recommend for this setup? I really want to spend under £100 with the tweeter mounts. I’ll be getting my local ICE shop to make the speaker rings (and probably fit it all too).

I’m also thinking about getting an under seat subwoofer to add a bit more oomph but not loose any boot space. Has anyone tried one of these? If so could you recommend one?

You are on the right track with sound deadening and upgrading the front speakers. You'll get an ever bigger improvement if you upgrade the headunit or get an amp to power the speakers. I've no experience with under seat subs myself.

JL Audio do something known as a "CleanSweep" which allows you to use the OEM headunit to power a proper amplifier etc and also have an equaliser, have a look at their site.
The under seat subs aren't bad, so long as you get a decent brand, namely Pioneer, but they obviously lack the grunt of a proper sub and enclosure, but are better than standard set-ups without subs, you're only issue is making sure that it is mounted super securely as it'll just become another rattle if not, not to mention that if you have any passengers in the back then the acoustics will seem a little odd to them..

JL Cleansweep is good but its expensive. It all depends on your budget but I would go for one of these if you want to keep the standard headunit and costs low. If you can afford the JL Audio Cleansweep, its a good bit of kit.

Hey sublow

Here is a post i did on another CTR forum ref front speaker upgrades.

The speakers are £99 and IMO the best speakers available at that price point.

Combined with the tweeter mounts and tweeter's fitted in them i do them for £125.

I make and sell the exact spacers you need to fit them in the doors perfectly for £25.

Lastly i'm doing a special on some sound deadening, Enough to cover BOTH doors completely (12 sheets) for £60 or if you want the basic speaker kit it's £15

Regards

Steve

Post below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

f you dont want to do ANY drilling what so ever then you'll have to go for 5" cmponents.

The 5" components speakers require a speaker adaptor that simply slots and snaps into position.

When i fit these i always then apply lots of sound deadening around the spacer and door to prevent any possible rattles occuring from the plastic adaptor and door metal work.

Now if you dont mind drilling 3 little holes for some screws then you can go for 6" speakers and some MDF spacers made by yours truley !!

This involves screwing the spacer to the door wit 3 large screws. It's easily done and if your not planning on adding a sub to the car for a while or at all then 6" speakers would be best for you !

I'd currently reccomend for you if you are running off the stock unit the following:

Alpine SPG-17Cs - £99

Speakeing from expirence in supplying, installing and using these speakers they are a fantastic. For the money there is not really anything that rivals them.

Then will be a great upgrade to the stock speakers, run fine off the OE unit and if you upgrade your system further at a later stage be it a new head unit or even an amplifier this will only bring out the absolute best from them.

As with any speaker upgrade you do it is essential you use some sound deadening. The bare minimum would be a dynamat speaker kit.

The EP3 doors do suffer from letting alot of water in so i would also reccomend using a moisture guard which is dead easy to install and prevents the water from dropping all over the speakers.

pics, details and prices below:

Alpine SPG-13Cs 5" components - £99
http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/type-g-speakers/spg-13cs.html
ALPINE-SPG-13CS.jpg

Alpine SPG-17Cs 6" components - £99
http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/type-g-speakers/spg-17cs.html
ALPINE-SPG-17CS.jpg

Dynamat speaker kit - £15
DYN-XTREME-SPEAKER-KIT.jpg

Moisture Guard - £15
SKINZ-SNINKGUARD.jpg

5" plastic adaptor plates + sound deadening to prevent rattles - £18
AUTOLEADS-SAK-1210.jpg

MDF Spacers - £25

A neat addition to the speaker upgrade which is 100% ver cool is the factory Honda tweeter pods.

They cost about £8-£10 each (no more) and look THE C**K

Here is a pic of a set we are fitting to devil84's CTR on Wednesday.
Picture128.jpg

Let me know if you need anything as i usually stock it all.

Kind Regards

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys.

The LJ CleanSweep looks great but a little out of my price range.

I know I should be looking at getting an aftermarket head unit but I quite like the fact I don’t have to remove it every time I get out of the car. With my iPod adapter connected it works quite well.

I was thinking of keeping the standard headunit, upgrading to components and getting an under seat sub with speaker level input. Like this one http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/130/201/TS-WX22A/specs.html if Pioneer is the brand to go for and it will fit under the seat. Then splice into the rear speakers for the input for the sub.

It’s a shame you’re so far away Dalco type r, I’ve just Googled the directions to Lowestoft and it would be an 8 hour round trip!

So I’m going to get the 6” Alpines, Tweeter Pods, MDF spacers, moisture guard and a lot of Dynamat. All in all this comes to over £200 which I don’t have at the moment. I think the service and new brakes should come first (far too sensible).

So it looks like the project is on hold.

When your ready let me know.

I usually keep all the bits in stock and mail order is no problem for me if the distance is to far.

Steve

Where abouts are you mate.

What makes you think that you have to take the head unit out every time you get out. Hope you manager to get it sorted soon mate.

mr_sport

When your ready let me know.

I usually keep all the bits in stock and mail order is no problem for me if the distance is to far.

Steve

Nice one thank you.

It shouldn't be too long just got to get the more important thing out of the way.

Where abouts are you mate.

What makes you think that you have to take the head unit out every time you get out. Hope you manager to get it sorted soon mate.

mr_sport

Every after market headunit I've had in the past had a removable front. I know some of the double din units you don't have to but they are a tad rich for me.

I'm in Stourbridge mate.

Back