• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My S15

I agree that from a technical perspective, RWD *should* be faster, but I think that the organic squishy bit plays a bigger part.

As you have alluded to, FWD is more flattering of ham-fisted operation and the consequences of overstepping the mark are usually less spectacular and more recoverable. Therefore, in the real world for those not endowed with god-like car control, the extra confidence will be the salient factor. I pushed far far harder in the FD2 than I have done in any of the RWD cars I've owned, which is part of the reason I sold up.

In the other direction, I'm never beyond 75% (if that) on the Ducati - I'm simply too old, feeble, weak, blind, incompetent and scared witless.

And behold, the most back-handed agreement ever with the statement about learning time.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it does come down to confidence.

After driving the wife's ATR a lot more though I am finding it slow. Have turbos got me hooked?
Now there's something I've not thought about?

I drive my Evo most weekends, by the end it starts to feel slow.

Then I drive my Focus Monday to Friday. After this the Evo is no longer slow. :lol:

For me it does come down to confidence.

After driving the wife's ATR a lot more though I am finding it slow. Have turbos got me hooked?
Now there's something I've not thought about?

Turbos definitely do have the effect of feeling a lot faster than they sometimes are, which makes NAs feel distinctly uneventful! I don't know what the S15 is like but the standard 14psi or common 17psi of boost on an MR2 Turbo is certainly not progressive... Which makes it more eventful, which makes the linearity of normally aspirated cars feel super slow, even if they aren't in reality!

I think the spikey delivery of the average turbo also causes the lack of trust you maybe have in RWD. Maybe linearity is better in snappy handling cars.

The WRX STi I had felt lazy compared to the K20s I've owned. It certainly was quicker, a fair bit so especially above road legal speeds and 4wd obviously helped getting away from the line.

I guess it was the longer gearing and 6,750 rpm redline that made it feel lazy in comparison.

I know it's no massive comparison but even the Teg feels slow compared to the Lowvo. It's not until it gets into VTec that thing start to feel like they should. I gave it a hard drive last night and I'm glad to say it still makes me smile like hell.

Id like to RR my S15 to see what the bhp is and how it delivers the power.
It has a strange v-tec type delivery at 5k rpm. I thought there was something wrong and had it checked out by M.G Autos but its fine. Plus all the lads on the S15oc say its normal.

Have a run up to TDi, not far for you.

It'd cost less than 50 notes IIRC.

I'll do another dyno day this year, but it will probably be Oct/Nov time.

It would be good get a few of us together to do it.

If not then I might give them a nudge. There is a place in Congleton that does it but I'm not sure if his setup is good. Think he's called Mikemechanic or something

The WRX STi I had felt lazy compared to the K20s I've owned. It certainly was quicker, a fair bit so especially above road legal speeds and 4wd obviously helped getting away from the line.

I guess it was the longer gearing and 6,750 rpm redline that made it feel lazy in comparison.
That's what I love about the Evo's engine, it still has a lot of urgency and revs to 7500 or something. Definitely doesn't feel lazy unless you're under 2500 rpm.

Just like to add it's the same with the old 2l Impreza lump. ;) Boost starts building at around 2500rpm and keeps going until 7500rpm.

That 2.5l engine is **** :lol: Why do you think the JDM models have still got the 2l? Redlines at 8k on the JDM if I remember rightly too with a better turbo. The gits.

Just like to add it's the same with the old 2l Impreza lump. ;) Boost starts building at around 2500rpm and keeps going until 7500rpm.

That 2.5l engine is **** :lol: Why do you think the JDM models have still got the 2l? Redlines at 8k on the JDM if I remember rightly too with a better turbo. The gits.

JDM STI's get a twin scroll turbo

Yea, meant that with the "better turbo". Couldn't be arsed to double check all versions had that though so left it vague :)

Bit of an update.

Had my calipers refurbed today form some local guys. Theyve done a top notch job and im really happy, just a pity the wheels are terrible and get in the way.

They were also repairing an old Bentley which only costs over £300k :eek:

'Tis a fine car.

But, no matter what you do to it, personally I think you'll still always long for another DC5. No matter how many FRSUs or tyres you throw at it.

Sometimes a "better" or even a "different" car can't capture what you enjoyed with a car you used to have.

If I were you, I'd keep it for now and enjoy the fact it's different. Play about with it, do some mods and just learn its ways.

Then once you're done with that, move it on. Which will happen eventually anyway as it always does. Because everyone is always chasing something else, even if you've got the car you've always wanted - there's still a better more expensive car out there that you can't have.

I think if you stop trying to tell yourself that you should be absolutely loving it, and stressing about what you should do, you'll relax into it a bit more.

Set yourself a time to sell in around 12 months, and then just put the idea of moving it on right now to the back of your mind. If you're not subconsciously thinking about what else you could have for the same kind of money it'll free you up a bit.

As soon as I have a new car I delete my saved ebay searches for other models and stop looking for them, otherwise you drive yourself mental.

Also, you're a n0b.

Good day.

I know exactly what you're saying G! I'm craving an R32 GTR at the moment, but to get one the Teg has to go. I wanted a Teg for nearly a decade, and if know as soon as it has gone, I'll regret it, partly because I'll never be able to drive a GTR to its limits.

It's good advice and I completely agree with you.

I have started to relax with it now as it's more settled in the wet but it's no Teg. I do worry about the power difference between the Teg and S15 but tbh pushing the S15 is not an enjoyable relaxing drive.
I experienced this when I raced home from work to get to the hospital.

I'm modding it with either cheap mods like the calipers or with things that can be took off and sold.

Im starting to enjoy it but I still get a semi over the thought of a DC5 with mods and KPRO. That's still in my system.

I got nothing but time.

Back