• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owner

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum as I picked up my sonic grey Type R GT on Saturday after taking one for a test drive and being very impressed. I was also considering a Mustang but that's just not practical for London and Ford really ****ed me off for various reasons. I've graduated up from Fiesta ST (also a fantastic car, was a little sorry to see it go). It was meant to be a two month wait but the dealer got it delivered after only two weeks - apparently they make them in batches and I got lucky (but see my suspicion below - hopefully unfounded).

First impressions are that it's a great car to drive, though a little bigger than I thought after I got it home and parked on the street outside my flat (it's the width that's the issue, and you've got to hug the curb if you want to keep it fully inside the bay - a daunting prospect with those alloys). It's also got more toys on it than I know what to do with, so many more than the ST.

Having said that, questions/concerns that you might be able to help me with:
  • The car had 78 miles on it before I picked it up (averaging 19mpg on that trip) - that seems high? I sincerely hope it wasn't the demo car that I test drove (same colour and spec) - will be quizzing the dealer on that mileage.
  • Driving it back from the dealer, the tyre pressure sensor went off - checked tyre pressures and no issue. Recalibrated the system and so far it hasn't recurred in the last 60 miles or so.
  • Brake squeal at low speeds. I saw this on another thread - do they just need bedding in and do I just need to brake hard a few times? Manual says not to do that for a while I think.

Cheers,
Matt

Tyre pressure sensor and squealing brakes are a common thing unfortunately, as for the millage I'd say that's high, mine had 6 miles on it when I picked it up

Enjoy the car! Bet it really does seem massive (and fast) in comparison with the ST! I also park on a street, next to a kerb (and on a hill!) so I feel your pain - takes me ages at night to make sure I'm not going to hit it.

The brakes squeal on all these cars. I've been restricted to town driving so far so it has got pretty bad, but a quick high speed run and constant brake pressure solves it until you do loads of start/stop again.

Delivery mileage can vary quite a bit. Mine was on 5, but I believe anything up to 100 is the norm for new cars so I wouldn't worry.

Haven't had the tyre pressure monitor go off yet, but again it's a common issue as there isn't much rubber on the wheels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was driven from another dealership to the one you picked it up from as opposed to put on a trailer...but at 19 MPG they must have been late or something....!

Welcome to the forum though!

I have no brake squeal or gremlins touch wood. I did have poor paint on the rear arch surfaces facing the wheels. So if you want to avoid problems, or stone chips as paint is very thin, id recommend protecting them with Paint protection Film of ebay/amazon sooner rather than later.

Thanks all. The brakes thing definitely seems to relate to being around town - a good excuse to take it out of London for some fun and blow the cobwebs off. This is the response I got from the dealer re those issues:

"To answer your question with regards to the mileage on the car, due to safety / road tests at the factory and the pre delivery inspection we carry out on site, delivery mileage can be anything up to 250 miles which is very normal.

We want to ensure that the car operates to its optimum level and provides you with complete safety hence the extensive testing. I hope this qualifies your query.

As for the tyre pressure sensor, all the sensors for the first 1000 miles are very sensitive and for example if one tyre is 33psi and another is 34psi the light will appear on. This is very common in all the range of the Honda cars.

To initialise a master reset if you initialise the the tyre deflation warning system three times on the car, this will help.

The noise you are hearing at low speeds on the brakes on the car is common to happen, again after wearing them in for the first 1000 miles you should hear a difference, if you do not please contact me and I will get you booked in for an appointment with the service department."

I'd not be accepting a car if it had 250 miles on it that's for sure!!!!

As has been said don't worry about your mileage. Wonder if they test one in 20 off the line or something...

Yes, I'll leave it alone at 78 but anything in three figures would have me asking questions without a really good reason for it.

Maybe it was driven from another dealership to the one you picked it up from as opposed to put on a trailer...but at 19 MPG they must have been late or something....!

Welcome to the forum though!

I have no brake squeal or gremlins touch wood. I did have poor paint on the rear arch surfaces facing the wheels. So if you want to avoid problems, or stone chips as paint is very thin, id recommend protecting them with Paint protection Film of ebay/amazon sooner rather than later.

I'm new to this, are we talking clear vinyl type stuff inside the arches? I didn't get the Honda shine thing, seemed like a rip off and detailing is much more cost effective - any pointers/good places to go for that?

Yes, I'll leave it alone at 78 but anything in three figures would have me asking questions without a really good reason for it.

I'm new to this, are we talking clear vinyl type stuff inside the arches? I didn't get the Honda shine thing, seemed like a rip off and detailing is much more cost effective - any pointers/good places to go for that?

Yep loads of stuff on eBay, 3M quality is the stuff to go for.

I got the life shine and washing is easy with nice beading although now wishing I got the ceramic stuff on the other thread for the same cost

I wouldn't worry about the 19mpg either.
When these cars are started up and left running it has a massive effect on the first set of MPG figures.

I wouldn't imagine it has been ragged at all, but warmed up before being moved from A to B
I suppose if you had started up the car and done a steady 78 mile run in one go you might get 35mpg, but unlikely from the off.

Brand new cars seem to be poor with economy until they have been run in a bit.

The cars are put round a test circuit to make sure there are no quality issues. If a car had a rattle or a problem the cars would have had to be driven back and sorted then put back out for fault free running.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I work at a big brand car plant . All cars are driven round site (speed limited )and revved up to show the pops and bangs off to tours coming round especially v8s Some are put on rolling roads to test ...

A lot of people probably think the car comes off the production line straight onto the trailer to the dealer . That's not what happens .

I wouldn't worry about the mileage tbh .

The cars are put round a test circuit to make sure there are no quality issues. If a car had a rattle or a problem the cars would have had to be driven back and sorted then put back out for fault free running.

Highly doubtful
You have loading mileage then PDI mileage, mine was 19 miles, I've seen owners have 8-10

Highly doubtful
You have loading mileage then PDI mileage, mine was 19 miles, I've seen owners have 8-10
No, this is what happens lol I know because I have a family member who is a test driver. The cars are driven at the end to make sure there are no serious issues. If there are they get put in a queue to be fixed and retested.

Even then I've seen brand new cars being driven around the roads where the dealer is. Car was probably driven to another dealer? Used as a demo car at the factory? There are lots of possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holloway96 is right they are put round a test track , low speed and short . To find faults with anything. They then go to OTA (off track area )if any are found . They are then stripped down to fix and put back together.

It can range from anything , like a vibrating exhaust to a knocking bush to a rattle behind a door card .
Also they are not always fixed first time . So could be stripped down many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a car with higher delivery mileage has been faulty off the line and stripped down over and over and tested over and over until faultless.

I honestly can't see Honda testing every single car (the whole Honda range) around a track, I can see them being driven to the holding area wrapped up and awaiting to be loaded

So a car with higher delivery mileage has been faulty off the line and stripped down over and over and tested over and over until faultless.
I can't honestly see Honda testing every single car (the whole Honda range) around a track, I can see them being driven to the holding area wrapped up and awaiting to be loaded
Keep disagreeing then. Can't tell anyone anything

Back