• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

I thought mine were broken to.....they only come on after 4.5K revs from memory..

In short, your not giving it enough beans..!

Haha, I figured it might be something like this - I'll give it a test after work today.

Have you had yours from new and did you run in the engine at all?

I have had 'Roxy' from new yes. A few days after I got it I went on a 600 mile round trip to Cornwall for a week, good mix of driving, but definitely gave it the full beans down there on many occasions. So in short, didn't follow the bedding in procedure but made my own up :twisted:

How does the shift up backlight thing work?

I thought the red, amber/yellow and green dots are meant to light up the more you rev in gear?

Mine don't do anything, or am I missing how its supposed to work?

I thought mine were broken to.....they only come on after 4.5K revs from memory..

In short, your not giving it enough beans..!

Funny/stupid face palm moment from me yesterday,
I had 100% forgotten my car had these lights and how the turbo really kicks in whilst up there.
For nearly 2 years I've been happily plodding around in +R mode and overtaking at ease without the need to hit high revs that I think it's just gradually slipped from my mind.

It goes to show though that both fk's are wasted on the roads and the full potential is no way getting used, I've gone 2 years without the need to high rev and after yesterdays face palm moment I can happily hold my hands up and say the car is probably wasted in my possession

It goes to show though that both fk's are wasted on the roads and the full potential is no way getting used, I've gone 2 years without the need to high rev and after yesterdays face palm moment I can happily hold my hands up and say the car is probably wasted in my possession

I'm sure you have enjoyed being the owner of it though?

I tested that display and you were right, it kicks in after 4500 rpm!
When I parked up on my driveway I had a few burning smells from the car, normal I hope for a new engine :)

They're both cracking cars and both quick but at a guess 80%+ won't see a track and won't see the full potential.
It was yesterdays moment that made me realise exactly that, took near 3 years but now I fully get what people say.

I guarantee I'm not and won't be the only one that will fall in to a daily driver and forget what the car is about, too fast for road use? possibly

suppose it depends where you live, mine gets driven properly everyday on the commute then a late night run 3 times a week on the way back from seeing the Gf ( is it wrong that i look forward to the drive home more than seeing her ? ) i do between 40 and 100 miles a day during the week

Countryside B roads is my daily commute so it gets a decent run.
Driven properly on a road in these cars is going to be nothing like driven properly on a track, there's no way people are driving/seeing the cars full potential on a daily basis on the roads

It's like having one of them watches though that you can dive down 500 metres in.... your hardly gonna get it wet, but it's nice to know it can

If you think we can't let it of the reigns much, those chaps in there 600bhp rs6 and AMG's, not to mention the super cars and ferrari super fast 800 bhp jobbies. A warm hatch you can exploit more....but the arms race started long ago and no one harldy down grades these days which is why many of the afore mentioned have a light track toy as well

Question:

Does anyone elses car prompt you to go up a gear way too soon?

I'm doing 35-40 mph in gear 5 and its telling me to go to gear 6??

Also, a trip to Nurburgring isn't too expensive, 150 for hotel, 150 for channel tunnel and then fuel/food/lap expenses.
Awesome few days away too especially if you go with a group of friends.
I did it a few times in my old focus and will definitely be going in the civic, the GP track will get a good thrashing but the ring, I won't be thrashing it around there - too risky! :)

You mean the little Green Arrow? Yeah its the 'ECO' side of the car, long sworn enemy of the rev lights which is the true indicator

They have it there so if you follow it you might get close to the official MPG figures

It's like having one of them watches though that you can dive down 500 metres in.... your hardly gonna get it wet, but it's nice to know it can

If you think we can't let it of the reigns much, those chaps in there 600bhp rs6 and AMG's, not to mention the super cars and ferrari super fast 800 bhp jobbies. A warm hatch you can exploit more....but the arms race started long ago and no one harldy down grades these days which is why many of the afore mentioned have a light track toy as well

I agree it's nice to know that it is there but it surprised me how quick I had forgotten it is there, if that makes sense.

I watched my commute this morning just to see if I could push the revs more, drove exactly like I do everyday, open roads and on the twists I sat at 2500 rpm, on the straight I sat at 3000rpm, that wasn't taking it easy either.
You can now probably understand how easily I forgot about the shift lights and unless it's on a track the car probably won't be used in that manner and I'd guess it will be the same for the majority of owners

I see my rev/shift lights every day on my work commute. Its 99% traffic horrorshow, but 1% joy.

My commute's consist's of 20 miles of motorway's and heavy traffic.
But the best bit is i have a final two miles of sweeping back lane's and hairpins (actually mini roundabout right turns) where i can ring its neck through 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.
(I swear those final miles will be the end of this car, but i can live with that).

On the rare occasion in those last two miles i get stuck behind Doris going shopping. I take a short cut and go round again. I have to.
It enables me to drive like a saint 99% of the time Knowing that i can press +R and see those pretty rev lights if only for a short while when i get closer to home.

Sounds like you should maybe invest in a turbo timer!

that's a blast from the past that also made me cringe....ever since I have got the pipercross I keep giving it boost then let off just for the sound as I am doing 15-25 mph on my street before shutting her off when parked. Forgot about good turbomanship..!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably a thing of the past in general, I just still have the mentality that if it's piping hot when you put it away or cold when you rag it then it won't last half as long.... Modern oils and with moving away from ceramic turbo wheels it's probably not half the issue it used to be. Still, I like to baby things and apply mechanical sympathy by the truck load, it helps me sleep at night :lol:

It's probably a thing of the past in general, I just still have the mentality that if it's piping hot when you put it away or cold when you rag it then it won't last half as long.... Modern oils and with moving away from ceramic turbo wheels it's probably not half the issue it used to be. Still, I like to baby things and apply mechanical sympathy by the truck load, it helps me sleep at night
I'm 99% sure FK2 turbo had a separate electronic pump for the turbo coolant, it would carry on running after shutdown if it deemed necessary.

I guess I'm lucky, mine is purely a fun car, I live in a part of the country that has some really good roads, happily been using the full revs since 500 miles I like the flashing red surround!

On a hard drive I switch off the start/stop I can't see how switching off a car after a thrashing is a good thing.

Back