• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 - Paint & Running In Questions

I really feel for your situation as it's not like theres hundreds sitting spare waiting to be exchanged. I'd be looking at entire bumper replacement and correction at a body shop of your choice, plus new key fob, plus free servicing or suitable contribution. Worst though is that somebody's telling lies, totally unacceptable.

Yeah, wouldn't be such an issue if they were still making them or anyone had stock. But they're clearly all sold, hence dealers asking for £45k or £50k at the moment.

First thing I want is the truth - then I can decide if a repair is acceptable (i.e. it was a scratch, not any impact damage), but TBH now they've attempted a crap repair, it's a lot of work to repair it to the point of being invisible because of the fact you can tell on panels other than the bumpers (e.g. paint on the rear arches). Short of a strip and respray of the entire car in Honda's own paint room, my experience of other white cars being repainted suggests it's impossible to make it like new. :(

Didn't realise it was that hard to match, that is a pain. Could it have taken a fall off a transporter? Be hard to find out exactly I imagine unless they become more honest.

I've got a Civic in PMM (not a type r) and have been disappointed with how easily paint has chipped, it seems very thin as a side note. Nothing like my old Audi. And also I saw a Sports line model on autotrader for 38k recently, it's just getting ridiculous. Hope you get a satisfactory outcome, keep us posted.

I have a DC5 in CW as a comparison and even after 15 years the paint on the plastic vs metal isn't anywhere a contrast to what you've got there.

The problem with CW, especially with age, is it's difficult to match up. I had my rear panel repainted and blended in perfectly by someone well recommended local to me so it can be done in the right hands. That bumper simply looks like an extremely poor fix.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That is shocking! Reject all day long and demand compensation. A disgrace and unbelievable this is supposed to be a new car!!

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Very strange situation. If not for the poor condition keys I'd say it had been involved in a transport accident. Those keys look several months old. Wonder if you can get the build date from the vin?

Not sure with fk8's but when fk2 where new the plastic parts could be ordered painted from honda. I had new arches and skirts and a front bumper all due to gravel dash and stone chips. Off the shelf in the correct colour. So perhaps new parts could resolve this without any paint work being required.

However I'd reject it now formally in writing. You will never be happy with it :(.

Cant see it coming from honda direct like that. Suspect the issue is dealer related. Also for what it's worth they give the guys 15 min to PDI a car at most dealers, so nothing is checked at all :( .

What dealer is it? Do they have any other new cars allocated that arent already sold. As I'm sure you've seen ex demo cars with 2k miles are up for list price + currently (bonkers).

Shite timing in that you cant order another. However not a huge wait till the 2022 model launches which will inevitably be even better.

Last edited:
Unless I'm offered something I haven't considered myself, I'll be rejecting the car. You're all correct, it will never be right and I don't want the hassle of going through repeated attempts to repaint a car that will never look like new as a result.

I spoke to someone with a bit of inside knowledge of Honda and gleaned the following:
  • First line support is not in the UK (anyone who has called them can probably work that out!) The Technical Department (who assess this kind of thing to decide what has happened and how best to sort it) was moved to Germany at the start of the year, although there are very small customer services and technical teams left in the UK - they will only get involved as second line stuff though, i.e. referred on to by the German team.
  • Cars go (went?) from the factory to a pre-delivery centre in Bristol, then on to the dealers.
  • Damage caused in the factory would be done there (so it is possible the car has been repainted there, but unlikely as damaged cars aren't sent out). If the dealer is genuine that it arrived like that from Honda, chances are it happened at the pre-delivery centre and they painted it there (repair work is also done there, sometimes paint isn't right from the factory rather than actually damaged so it is possible that's the case - if so, they're pretty rubbish at it!)
  • If the damage happened in transit to the dealer, that would be the dealer's problem (not sure why though).
So right now, the dealer raised the issue with Honda on Monday, they responded today asking for the details to be sent to the technical department (apparently dealers have direct access to that team, but not the first line customer support team!), which they have done. Typically it's 24-48 hours for a response from the technical dept to the dealer. So I might hear what they have to say by the end of the week, but I've already emailed the dealer (Stoneacre Chesterfield) to say I'm minded to reject it as I can't see a solution involving me keeping the car that I'd be satisfied with.

As for the 2022 model, all the shots I've seen (and based on the revealed base model), it looks fugly and like it might be bigger and heavier but with the same engine. Stiffer as well in fairness, but likely 18 months+ off being released over here and not something I really want to wait around for!

Short of a different car, I honestly don’t know how they can make this good. In normal situations this is what would happen and it would all be handled by the dealer. I wonder if circumstances in this situation are in part, side effects of the factory closing and leaving the UK.

As said the hassle of trying to get it fixed, isn’t worth it. I hope you manage to find something else.

The other thing is that Type R panels are supplied pre-painted. Great if your car is, relatively, new, but could be a pain if your car is an older one. The only way around that would be a paint match at a decent body shop.

to me it just looks like it needs a new bumper and not a terrible repair like what someone has tried here!

That is an absolutely dreadful state of affairs. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution quickly. I am surprised the dealer did not spot this and actually delivered the motor to you in that condition.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that the bonnet opening on to its safety catch whilst driving is not a common issue!? :oops:

Happened to me yesterday on my first drive (dealer says fine to do so as I've already made them aware of the issues), didn't go over 70mph, had it in +R mode as on a twisty country lane.

Never happened to me in any car ever !

All part of the front end damage no doubt....they are taking the pi$$ by even allowing you to drive it :mad:

You should've been given a courtesy car in the meantime....this whole scenario is beginning to beggar belief o_O

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that the bonnet opening on to its safety catch whilst driving is not a common issue!? :oops:

Happened to me yesterday on my first drive (dealer says fine to do so as I've already made them aware of the issues), didn't go over 70mph, had it in +R mode as on a twisty country lane.

What’s the reg of your car ? Sounds like you got my lemon .. ! (Which was rejected)

They don’t make them like they used to (DC5)

What’s the reg of your car ? Sounds like you got my lemon .. ! (Which was rejected)

They don’t make them like they used to (DC5)

It's YO21 EYA. Only 7 miles on the clock, so I guess not the same car? What was wrong with yours (apologies if it's in a thread on here, haven't seen it)?

Ah right, definitely a different car then! What were the issues on yours - did the bonnet mysteriously unlatch itself?

I've driven mine a couple of times since and haven't replicated the problem, but equally I can't work out how it would happen unless the latch mechanism is misaligned or the bonnet moves a hell of a lot (it certainly does jiggle around as you drive along, I assume that's normal though as the bonnet is fairly big but quite light?)

Ah right, definitely a different car then! What were the issues on yours - did the bonnet mysteriously unlatch itself?

I've driven mine a couple of times since and haven't replicated the problem, but equally I can't work out how it would happen unless the latch mechanism is misaligned or the bonnet moves a hell of a lot (it certainly does jiggle around as you drive along, I assume that's normal though as the bonnet is fairly big but quite light?)
As has been noted above, this has never occurred with me on any car, EVER. Given the issues around your car i wouldn't be driving it (and i know how tempting it is). It needs to be parked up at the dealership whilst Honda and the dealership argue about how to compensate you or sort you out with another car (i know how difficult it will be to source another car).

The last thing you want is ANYTHING coming up or happening that that they could suggest is your fault.

I'm shocked you have kept ownership of this. All the time you have it they have no incentive to resolve anything. At the very least get it back to the dealer and In their way every day. I can tell you if it was taking up ramp space after a strip down things would be moving quicker. As said front and rear bumpers are available off the the shelf pre painted so if that's all it needs it's a quick paint less fix. If the bonnet is not staying shut the may be more issues. Again bumpers need removing to investigate.

Back