• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres on front or rear?!?!

So, seems this causes a difference of opinion.

What do you do? Put the new tyres on the front, or put the old tyres on the front with new on the back?

:confused:

I've only ever bought 4 new at a time so it's a bit new to me this.

I would put the already worn tyres on the rear and the new on the front. Fronts wear faster, so if you do this and swap accordingly through their life you can replace 4 at once come next time and continue.

Otherwise, just replace as needed and don't swap front to back. Then you will only be replacing 2 at a time when they are done, rather than all 4.

When Tom replaced my two rear tyres at TGM he put them on the front and the old ones on the back.

Yeah, switch the old fronts to the back and the put the new on the front.

That's what I used to do on my EP3, don't have that option anymore though.

That makes sense.

But it doesn't take into account putting 200bhp + through your front wheels with tyres that have crap tread. :lol:

The article suggest understeer is easy to control, however in most Type R's if you suddenly back off the throttle, the back will break away quite easily.

on front wheel drive i put new tyres on front as they wear out quicker. rear wheel drive new tyres on the back. i don't care about the driving dynamics and pitfalls related to that, i do it to achieve maximum life out of the tyres.

I don't bother rotating tyres anymore. The rear ones last a lot longer than the fronts and they wear with the camber so putting them on the front gives some unwanted handling issues. I just replace old with new when needed.

I think it also depends on how much life is left in your tyres, if you have only 2mm left on the rear and put new tyres on the front then you are asking for trouble with the mismatch in grip levels on the car. If you change your tyres before the 1.6mm legal limit then you shouldn't have too much problem either way around.

I tend to buy them 4 at a time, once the fronts are just over half way through their life, I swap them to the back and then all four wear out simultaneously. I find you can negotiate/find better deals when buying a full set.

If I was just changing two, it would be entirely dependent on how much thread was on the back tyres. If it was anything less than 2.5~3mm, I'd swap the worn one's to the front and get ready to spend out again in a few months.

I tend to buy them 4 at a time, once the fronts are just over half way through their life, I swap them to the back and then all four wear out simultaneously. I find you can negotiate/find better deals when buying a full set.

If I was just changing two, it would be entirely dependent on how much thread was on the back tyres. If it was anything less than 2.5~3mm, I'd swap the worn one's to the front and get ready to spend out again in a few months.

This.

Personally I always get new ones on the back and put the old ones on the front. My thinking is that whilst rear grip is important, I'm more likely to have to stop suddenly unexpectedly which requires good front tyres, whereas if I know the backs are new I can take it easy until they're bedded in.

Back