• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Newan's 52 NHB. Type R number 1

Not updated for a while, and suits slipstreams reminded me to get on it...hope you like.:)

where did I get to..?

Well I semi stripped out the rear and carpeted the spare wheel well and made a false floor in place of bench seat. :)

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209-1.jpg

DSC00210-1.jpg

DSC00217-1.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00224-1.jpg

DSC00225-1.jpg

Soooo, after some thought I changed out the BC Racing Coilovers for some Buddyclub N+.
Few reasons for this, I wanted something better, quieter, more roadworthy, more adjustable, better performing etc. Amazingly I think the buddyclubs are actually more suited for the road, the BC were harsher but with less options to tune the shock to perform how I wanted it to. The Buddyclub are an inverted monotube gas damper and react far better to the road. Don't get me wrong, the BC were absolutely fantastic for the money, and they have not aged in performance or looks at all in over 8000 miles on crappy B-roads..which is pretty amazing for the money they cost. I take my hat off to them, they are a brilliant product, but I just outgrew them and wanted something better.

DSC00399.jpg

Needs a good clean. :oops:

DSC00400.jpg

Stance..

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

Then I set about protecting the rear threads as they are a bit exposed on the buddyclub...ended up taking it a step too far.. ;)

Coilover condoms - ribbed for my pleasure.

Bear with me here, this is one of those hairbrained idea's that you actually find yourself going through with..

Originally I planned to sheath the bottom part of the rear coilover because as you can see below it is left very exposed, I don't really want the thread to get damaged by stones. It probably wouldn't matter if it did as you would never adjust the pre-load collars, but this is me...and I want to protect it anyway.

DSC00400.jpg

So I went out and got a few inner tubes, some from a mountain bike shop and some from a motorbike shop, they were all punctured so they were all free...

I first removed the rear coilovers and cleaned them up a bit, gave them a squirt of gt85 to get rid of all the moisture. Then mounted the little sucker in the black and decker workmate.

DSC00417.jpg

Stretched a section of inner tube over the threaded end.

dsc00418.jpg

Trimmed it up at the base making sure the drain hole is still out in the open.

DSC00419.jpg

Got a nice fold under the collar to give something to cable tie up securely.

DSC00420.jpg

Just add cable tie and job done...

DSC00421.jpg

Now heres where the N+N OCD OTT syndrome kicked in...whilst it was all off I couldn't resist sheathing the whole thing...it may slide down over time and it may make a noise that drives me mad and means I have to rip it back off...but the main objective was accomplished and I just wanted to try....just think if it actually works, it'll protect the coilover 100% forever.

Took a section of motorbike inner tube and stretched it down over the spring, allowed a certain amount of slack in between each coil and then secured it top and bottom.

Looks tidy, but will it work..??..god knows.

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

Mounted them back to the car, if I need to I can remove the spring condom while the coilover is still fitted...leaving the original bottom thread condom in place.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

crazy eh..?:p

The fronts have to make do with a coating of white grease, the coilover condom doesn't work for those.

Then came a bity of OCD, bumper needed removing for a repair to a small crack, and crash bar needed tidying up.

Bumper off..

DSC00468.jpg

nasty crash bar..

DSC00469.jpg

crash bar off..

DSC00470.jpg

How much weld rot..? :eek:

DSC00471.jpg

Bumper cleaned and split ready for repair and paint..

DSC00472.jpg

Fat arse..!!

DSC00473.jpg

powder coated bar back on..

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

bumper re-sprayed, re-fitted...

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

Then I had a trackday coming up and stumbled upon a nice oem looking twin slash magnex backbox that fits nicely to the spoon b-pipe...wanted some noise for the trackday obviously..:cool:

Shiny pipes.. :cool:

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

Then she had a day of abuse at LLandow, great little circuit and the car was awesome...suspension and tyres worked awesome, had a fantastic day.

ll4.jpg

ll5.jpg

ll7.jpg

ll8.jpg

ll9.jpg

ll10.jpg

ll11.jpg

ll12.jpg

ll15.jpg

ll16.jpg

ll17.jpg

ll18.jpg

ll19.jpg

ll20.jpg

ll21.jpg

ll22.jpg

ll23.jpg

ll24.jpg

ll25.jpg

ll26.jpg

ll27.jpg

ll28.jpg

ll29.jpg

Thats it I think, update complete...

Am having some buddycliub roll centre adjusters, polybush kit and inverted tie rod ends fitted and new geo setup at unit 8 next month, so am saving hard for that.:cool:

peace.

Great idea regarding the "condoms". What kind of adverse noise do you get with them and can you live with it?

Nice write up and pictures.

No noises at all with them...they've been on since the beginning of april and they haven't moved yet. :)
Just a shame I couldn't have something similar on the front...but a can of this...

DSC00404.jpg

..does a good job of protecting them. It sets hard and lasts for weeks, washes off easy and keeps the dirt and grit away..

Nice man, excellent work on the rear end.

White ARB's look great too. Sneaky little special bits like.

You going too Japfest &/or JAE this summer?

Oh yeah, and that back seat carpet looks almost OEM, amazing job done on that too.

I am now officially a chav...I'm so embarrassed..:p

workshop shenanigans..

DSC00595.jpg

Hi-flow cat..

DSC00594.jpg

noise..

[video=youtube;yfKCIWr_Jto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfKCIWr_Jto[/video]

more noise..

[video=youtube;u5U7hI_Mfl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5U7hI_Mfl0[/video]

Am having a full map tomorrow, and then buddyclub rca's and polybushed front arms on saturday...a busy and expensive weekend.:)

:cool: man.

I love the sound of the EP3 exhaust note without a CAT.

What header you got?

I take it TDi North will be doing *** mapping?

"F*cking chav" followed by a big slurp of tea. :lol:

Cup of tea ftw.:)

:cool: man.

I love the sound of the EP3 exhaust note without a CAT.

What header you got?

Just standard 4-1 into the hi-flow cat.

It's not gone well today, don't know whats happened but it drives rubbish. Gassy and hesitant, flat at low rpms and strangled at high rpms...This sport cat is a 100 cell unit from a race car, modified to fit a ctr, but maybe it is not suited to it or something. Really gutted.

sorry to hear about the probs ur having buddy,ur car looks lovely and clean though buddy hope u get ur probs sorted

copied straight from t'other forum...apologies. It's been a long day.

Well today saw yet another trip to the boys of eightspeed.

DSC00602.jpg

I had my front arms polybushed and some buddyclub roll centre adjusters fitted, along with some new hel brake lines to replace the damaged ones. Got a few pics but it's quite dirty under there so you'll have to excuse me... ;)

Couldn't believe the manliness of the polybushes, they must be twice the size of the oem items, and 100 times better.

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

My new longer hel lines, the old ones had stretched and started to split but the fault turned out to be that they were too short, that was it. Happy days, as these lines do make a huge difference.

DSC00608.jpg

and the buddyclub roll centre adjusters...you can actually feel the difference in the cars roll centre, especially just past the apex of a long corner. awesome things. :)

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Also made a few changes to the geo, just stuff to try out...not sure I have it exactly how I want it, but it's damn close.!

The result is amazing, it has really made a huge difference, so big in fact I am not used to it yet and have a good drive tonight along some of my fave b-roads. It's not bumpy or crashy like I thought it would be, it still soaks up the bumps nicely but feels alot more solid in general..in a similar way to the difference the engine mount inserts make if that makes sense to anyone. Turn-in is sharp, controllable and 100% confidence inspiring. It's all really pulled everything else I have done to the chassis into line, it's completely awesome. I'd put the polybushes right up there with the JDM ARB in a pound for pound mod stylee, and the rca's do exactly what they are supposed to...brilliant result. :ctrodoublesalute.gif

nice mods , car looks :twisted: i need some brake lines ? where can i get the new longer ones from ?

Good update, what was the problem with the car feeling strangled though??

Good update, what was the problem with the car feeling strangled though??

don't know mate, tuner gave a few possibilities, but no idea which of them it could be, if any. Put the standard cat and backbox back on and re-loaded old map and it is fine again. The backbox works fine on the old map as well which is strange, suppose it can only be the sport-cat, not sure. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, it looks less restrictive to me and it's not blocked or collapsed or anything.

Just have to put it down as a bad idea/experience and move on.

Back