• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Newan's 52 NHB. Type R number 1

Cheers dude, and before someone says it...I know it looks like the car is supported by 2 red buckets in the last pic, but it is on axle stands, the buckets are just there to catch the brake fluid.;)

Got the front brakes back together and back on. It went well tbh and seems to be working, fingers crossed.

Re-fitted the caliper pins with some red rubber grease (I had used copper grease but someone on ctro informed me it can degrade the rubber boots as it is petroleum based, lucky escape) then popped the pad retainers back on.

DSC01045.jpg

Fitted all that back to the car and reconnected everything. Soaked everything in arch spunk...coilies are blasted with Wynn's clear lube which is a very goo-ey sticky gel like lube and perfect for coilovers and bushes etc. The rest of the arch is just covered in chemical guys bare bones which is just a dressing, but both of those products dry to a nice even coating and comes off easily with a hose down, taking the dirt with it...then just re-dress. A good way of effectively keeping corrosion at bay.

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

I got through 1.5l of fluid bleeding the system through and after a test drive working the abs a bit, it appears there is still a bit of air in there somewhere...I really thought I had it right first time but apparently not. So will give it another, hopefully final, bleed today and all should be good. On 2 of the calipers the pins were not working properly, and on one of the rears the pin was seized altogether so am glad everything is now clean and greased, and working how it should. Well worthwhile job imo.

And next on the list......sod all, I've had enough for one week, the list is being binned :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadn't planned to mate no, no point going on stands as she's not really show material tbh. Budget is taking a bashing as have got Curborough at the end of may, Llandow beginning of July and Racewars at the end of July, and want to get back to Oulton as well. Am just awaiting the arrival of new pads, discs, clockwise motion drop in sump baffle, engine oil and filter and 4 new Federal RSR's...they are the council house version of the R888 but getting really good comparison reviews on pistonheads and trackday forums so as I have never tried 888's I thought it worthwhile, and wallet friendly, to try the RSR's first. Looking forward to it.

The project is coming along nicely N&N. A lot of time and elbow grease has gone into this I'm sure and it shows.

Thanks man. I think I've got it how I like it, there are no area's I haven't dealt with. Under both bumpers, all arches, engine bay and underneath is all clean and fresh, everything is doing what it should be. Just want to get the sump and tyres on, and then I can give it some proper abuse.

Good work, you never want to give your calipers enough time to seize, can turn expensive, I know all too well. :lol:

So went to Clockwise Motion today to pick up my drop in baffle, What a set-up they have there, couldn't even count how many K20's they were building, amongst many other types of race engine. Custom building their own throttle bodys and god knows what else, proper motorsport engineering ftw

DSC01060.jpg

Fits in the sump like so..

honda-k20-baffled-sump.jpg

And have a set of these Federal RSR's winging their way to me..(generic picture fail, mine are 215/45/17)

595rsr.jpg

Should hopefully get all that fitted this week with some new brake fluid again, as there's still air in the system somewhere, either that or my master cylinder is knackered.

Fitting the baffle will mean a fresh shot of silkolene pro-s and new oem filter, and then finally some new geometry.

Considering a full interior strip in time for Llandow and Racewars....not sure. I keep stopping myself from ripping stuff out. Trouble is I'd want to take the dash out and remove all the sound deadening, heater matrix etc...and then I don't know if I'll be able to stop.:lol:

So, seeing as she is all ready for her new bits and bobs this week I threw a bucket of water over her and tucked her in. :)
DSC01064.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

Got the tyres today, they look pretty good. Just waiting for my oil now and she's going in.... :cool:

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

They have more of a cut then 888's etc, but they're certainly more purposeful than what I've been using til now.

chuffed :D

Cool cool. What does the baffle do? Don't link me to a 19 page wiki link. please. god, please! :D

The baffle sits in the sump and stops the oil surging when you are pulling massif G's through the corners y0.

You should really get one if you do any track work, but I've held off until i got some track orientated tyres which is when you really should have one as cornering speeds will be alot higher....hopefully. ;)

If the oil pickup sucks in fresh air because all the oil has surged over to one side of the sump, then your engine will explode into a million and 5 pieces immediately. The baffle just holds the oil in the 3 sections and stops/reduces surge so your engine is safe from explosion.

So I got my baffle fitted in the end, and got to the bottom of a brake problem I have had since Oulton park. Fitted my Federal RSR's, new discs, front calipers, pads and new fluids all round.

Went to curborough sprint circuit for a day out and ended up having all conditions thrown at me. Started out fairly dry, then got wet, then really wet to the point only 3 of us dared stay out throughout the rain, which was exciting. :cool: Then it dried out nicely for the afternoon. Car was really good all day, behaved herself perfectly and now she's ready for Llandow and Racewars in july.:)

Just a couple of pics from the day..

cur1.jpg

cur2.jpg

cur3.jpg

cur4.jpg

cur5.jpg

Well after my brake problems, my good friend carlos sorted me out, and helped fit, some mint front oem calipers. They were shot blasted but not painted as we just wanted to get everything fitted and working. We got there in the end and this weekend I started cleaning down for Llandow next saturday, she has been sat since curborough doing feck all so deserved it. Plus the old slag is driving down to goodwood this sunday so needed to get her ready sooner than ususal.

Fitted new disks, and stoptech fast road pads again, as for the money you can't beat them. Not sure what pads to get next as the ds3000 got too hot...so the stoptechs will see me alright until I decide. Maybe some performance friction or carbotech XP8 or XP10

So I painted the calipers and cleaned everything.

DSC01119.jpg

Then spent a day cleaning off all the old gunk from wheel balancing weights etc, and putting another coat of matt black on all four wheels. Perfect colour for easy touch ups etc:)

DSC01120.jpg

Having my geo done by a local race team tomorrow and have decided on some different toe settings which should make things quite exciting...thought i might try some toe out on the rear which will induce oversteer, sounds stupid but it is the quickest way to get round a track and reduces the stress on the front end as in effect you need less steering input than usual, just need the skills to go with it....hope i don't bin it then :lol:

And thats it, for the first time in ages, it didn't need much doing to it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my geo set up done and went to Llandow circuit on saturday and had an awesome time. The car handles beautifully and is so easy to oversteer and re-catch..it's epic. It was a cracking day, dry from morning until early evening so made the most of it and got as much time on track as i could. There was some amazing cars there, inc. a couple of R400 superlights which are in the video below. The tyres were brilliant, grippy even when really hot. No real problems through the day apart from a locking collar coming loose from hitting the curbs, so I was completely avoiding the curbs through the bus-stop section from then on as they are quite high ;)

I made a couple of vids. First one is pretty standard stuff..

[video=youtube;MAxRdKXyqjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAxRdKXyqjU[/video]

In this one I get black flagged for having my sleeves rolled up, so I have to "report" to the control tower for a jolly good telling off..:( was a decent session though and lots of cars about...some that don't like moving over, and some that love moving out of the way which is nice..:cool:

[video=youtube;wdFFLhQjZKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFFLhQjZKI[/video]

Just a couple of pics at the moment, more on the way hopefully, you can see my cheap ebay spy camera velcro'd to the front splitter on the first pic with it's lifeline...and "diving" into the bus stop on the second :lol:

DSCF2164.jpg

DSCF2163.jpg

Geo for this was..

-2deg camber, 0.25mm toe out per hub - front
-1.5deg camber, 0.5mm toe out per hub - rear

Tyres were Federal RSR and at 50quid a corner cheaper than R888's are the bargain of the century imo...they are nice and soft, and grippy, and don't fade when hot at all. Love them...cheap and cheerful ftw.

Also had the stoptech brake pads on as the ds3000 wore out, and they were actually pretty awesome to be fair...maybe not enough for alot of laps on a big circuit, but fine for small circuits or short sessions imo. Was quite impressed with them.:)

Back