• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 nice scratch on my passenger side door

Woke up today and headed out for work, did the usual check around the car and found a 2 inch scratch that goes down to the white undercoat. There are white scuffs around it, the kind you get when someone has opend thier door on to your car.

Im gutted as I know who has done it, the other night after work there was a white mini estate park on a stupid angle next to mine and it looks as if one of the kids has opened the door on to my car. I didnt bother checking as it was teaming it down with rain.

How much do you think I am looking at to get it sorted? will it be the whole door that needs re spraying?:(

If there are alot of bad-ish scratches then may aswell have the door done. Otherwise someone like Chips Away could sort that little area easily. Sorry I can't advise on the price as I get mates rates when it comes to spraying

I know that feeling getting pi$$ed off with seeing more car park dinks in mine aswell. :evil:

OK, I have picked up some touch up paint and I am going to try and sort the scratch myself as I really cant afford to do anything else. I have never used Touch up before and I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

OK, I have picked up some touch up paint and I am going to try and sort the scratch myself as I really cant afford to do anything else. I have never used Touch up before and I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Don't put too much on at once and make sure the area is clean. You probably knew that already though lol, be patient aswell

So apply thinly and build iin layers?

Yeah, because you can allways apply more if it isn't enough but if you have too much you will have to start over again after wiping it off (which will be a pain as it will smudge over the normal paint)
If you put too much on it can go a different colour to the paint, the lady who had my car before me has touched up some bits and it looks darker than the paint and it's very uneven.

a tip for applying paint for touch up purposes. i was given this by a guy who owns a local bodyshop i get to do all my big jobs.

if you buy a touch up pen from halford for example you get the little pen applicator at the top of the paint. you squeeze the paint out through this tiny needle sized hole, its ok, but it tends to bulge out so you end up in non even paint distribution. if you unscrew and use the brush you end up getting far too much blobbing and paint on the brush and it looks like a dogs dinner.

he advised me to get a piece of newspaper, tear a small portion off and roll a corner into a point. dip that into the touch up paint and then apply with that tiny edge. it is the perfect applicator for small paint repair jobs which gives you more control and no dripping vs a brush. i have done it this way ever since.

Back