• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

oil burner

Danger200

now i know the CTR relys on oil for that vtec kick (i havent long had the car) driving around i started to notice the kick werent as firm as before and noticed the oil was low. now i topped it up to the max fill line just after fuelling the beast, 120miles later and the oil is back to the min marker on the dipstick.
i did average 20mpg from this as i was trying to calculate my mpg. is this normal or do i have a leak? ive had a look all around the engine and cant see nothing, what worries me is that the oil light hasnt come on and when i bought it the oil was lower than it should have been

cheers people

well i thought because it was a woman who owned it before thats why the oil werent checked and was quite low, i topped it up with 5w40 and have gone through a litre and now i have put in another quarter of a litre in within 200miles of driving.
im not a mechanic but im handy with a spanner and usually have my head under the bonnet and can see no visible signs of a leak and cant smell anything like burning oil, i will have to get it checked then by the looks of it.
i thought this is worse than an RX8 burning this much oil off

Are you sure you're reading the dipstick right. I once mis read it thinking oil was low & over filled by a ridiculous amount. Then Jermal told me it's between the little holes & I was like :O Had to let some out of the sump, was a nice easy exercise no damage done. I also check on level ground & run the engine for 30 secs to get the oil around then after a quick settle wipe stick & check. Some shmow said it's the best way apparently.

oh yeah, between the two holes, i had a fiesta RS before the CTR so im used to checking the oil alot lol ive tried first thing in the morning when the engine is stone cold and then checked after i had got to work and let it settle a bit then tried but it was still low.

is the oil im using? because ive heard some oil grades burn quicker.

will the 10w 60 make any difference with the consumption?

It has helped a few folks on the DC5 forum as TGM use/recommend that grade.

The fact it also only does 20mpg points to something sinister imo....

The fact it also only does 20mpg points to something sinister imo....

You've either been constantly ragging it around in 1st, 2nd, 3rd which could explain the oil to be honest, or like Neily03 said, could be a fueling problem that's causing OTT oil consumption.

I got 33mpg overall on the Lakes meet which was 100 miles on motorway and A roads and 100 miles on the twisties and 100 miles back on the m'ways etc.

33mpg is very good actually. i thought it may be because im getting used to the car but that dont explain why i need to put a quarter litre of oil in every 100-150 miles. there isnt any signs of an oil leak, except for some old oil splurges on the rocker cover.
from jermals post i recently bought some gunk engine cleaner, so im going to try that to see if there will be any extra oil on the engine after

Back