• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

over heating problem!!!

Hi guys

Noticed about a week ago the my ep2 has had a higher temp than usual. Got it cheacked out and it was thought to be the coolent sensor. So got it fixed and its still thw same now.

When you open the bonnet wheb its over heating the coolent is bubbling out over the expantion tank for the coolent.

Any ideas what it may be.

Thanks in advance

mr_sport

Change the radiator cap mate, perhaps the pressure spring is past its best.

This would be my first port of call giving your visual problems.

Also just relised that my cooling fan is not coming on as well.

So will need tto look at that.

Why will changing the cap help.

OK, well if the fans not coming on then the thermostat may be dead.

Take it off, put it in a pan and boil it in some water on a stove. If it opens, its still working, if it doesnt, its broken, you need a new one.

Radiator caps are pressurised, so that when the engine is hot and the coolant is almost boiling, the cap seals the system to stop the water boiling. Water has a higher boiling point when its pressurised.

What happens is that the spring in the cap rusts sometimes and doesnt hold the same charge that it used too, so it struggles to keep the system sealed and thus lowers the water boiling point and will cause your engine coolant to overheat.

Dont forget, the gauage on your cluster measures water temp, not engine temp.

well guys all the help that you have given me is great. Changed the cap but did not do the thermostat.

The car is now in honda GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! and they twits say that there is nothing wrong with it but after a "pressure" test on the radiator there is water coming out from somewhere but they dont know where.

Going to let my girlfriend blow her gasket at them tomorrow to get it sorted (she always get what she wants ;-) )

so I will keep you all up to date

thanks again for th help guys

mr_sport

Got the mrs onto the case. And I love her for it and would even marry her for it.

The head gasket had went. Or was on the way out and its getting fixed. Along with the thermostat and radiator hoses

All in all its skining me just short of £700

mr_sport

You'd better look after it better next time then.

For the head gasket to go on these engines takes a lot of abuse and neglect.

Its very rare that you hear of a Honda engine failing due to the the head gasket.

I agree with suits. it is almost totally unheard of for the head gasket to go. look after this one mr_sport. Oh and don't let the misses read that post about marrying her. she'll have the ball and chain round your ankle in no time. take it from me!! lol!! :D

I disagree. if the fan failed the engine would overheat and can cause blown head gasket. it is rare but it still happens, you can't accuse mr_sport of neglect when his explanations are fair.

The head gasket wont go if the car overheats just once, or if it does it will have had to be hot for a long hard time.

Maybe he didnt notice it on his gauge, either way the car would have told him it was hot and overheating.

I for one, automaticaly always check my gauges out of habit and would have spotted it running hot.

suits is bang on with all advice so far on this thread.

if an engine overheats once for a short period of time, and by that i mean you turn the engine off as you see it going into the red it will be ok. for it to do the headgasket on a honda is not a common fault. its common with certain french cars and also older beemers as there are so many 15 year old examples still going strong and the coolant pipes/radiator get past their usable lifespan whilst the rest of the car is still going.

This has become a bit of a public hanging for mr_sport. Hope your car's running better now, and no longer overheating. Also hope your misses doesn't have your balls in a vice over the marrying her post. lol.

Back